Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mean Gene Passes away

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Saddened to hear this. I've gained a greater appreciation of his interviewing skills in recent years listening to the robotic interviewers they have nowadays. Mean Gene had a way of helping wrestlers get their point across to the viewer at home, while also having that slick presentation style as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

For years in my childhood I thought Mean Gene was Hogan's personal interviewer as he followed him to WCW but in the last few years I kinda appreciated his role more as the interviewers that followed were either figures of fun/ridicule (Cole, Coach, Josh Matthews or to a lesser extent Kevin Kelly) and more recently the "My Guest at this time" mannequins. Like a lot of people there his effort/output sank in WCW the latter into their history it got.
    Enjoyed him on commentary with Heenan for the Gimmick battle royal tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah no the first victim of 2019

Rip great voice that we will really go down in the ages of pro wrestling. Iconic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

RIP. Hes sums up my feelings here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The absolute best at his craft.

"Put that cigarette out!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Another huge part of my childhood wrestling memories gone.

Gene was a great on screen character, had a wonderful voice, and had a great way as an interviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I was actually gutted when my mate texted me this, grew up watching mean gene, will always remember his interviews with Hogan and Savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭ebbsy

****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah ****e. I'll always remember after flair won the royal rumble in 1992 and he yelled at a "photographer" to put a cigarette out. There were some bloopers of him put out before and he was very funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Go on to you tube and look at him interview Macho Man Randy Savage, the two of them together were priceless. Mean Gene total legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Horrible news he was the very best, rip mean by god gene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

soundman45 wrote: »
    Go on to you tube and look at him interview Macho Man Randy Savage, the two of them together were priceless. Mean Gene total legend.

Ah sure any macho Man interview was priceless but yeah him and mean gene were gold. Macho man was a tad highly strung I suppose but wasn't on the whole a bad person from what I can gather and mean gene I've not heard much and yet of him, hogan, and savage hogan is the one still alive. Life is fair alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He had a voice you recognised and everyone knew Mean Gene. Especially if you put "Well" before it and say it in a Hogan voice.
    He'll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

RIP mean gene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

RIP, genuine legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ah man that really is sad 😞

My long time close personal friend has passed away.

RIP Gene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice tribute at Raw the other night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ewW7TZOsw
    So sad so many lost. Hulk Hogan's still hanging in there though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement