Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I didn’t log it, it didn’t happen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

DCM Novices Training Plan Week 12
    Tuesday 10 September
    Plan: 6mi Easy
    Actual: 6.24mi 1.04.23 (10.19/mi AvgHR 143)
    Company for this one so it was nice and easy and relaxed. Only slight issue was a stitch but didn’t really have any impact. Included some of the last couple of miles of the marathon route.

Wednesday 11 September
    Plan: 9mi PMP with 1mi Warmup and Cooldown
    Actual: 11mi 1.42.46 (9.21/mi AvgHR 169)
    PMP Splits: 9.03, 9.09, 8.54, 8.57, 9.23, 9.01, 9.03, 9.02, 9.14
    This was tough. Decided to run down to the Great South Wall and out to the Pigeon House and back as part of the PMP section. Had never done it before and had heard the surface wasn’t great but it looked like fun. Didn’t find the surface too bad but if definitely required a bit more effort and concentration. Everything was relatively fine until the turnabout when the wind hit me in the face. I knew it was a bit fresh but it was far more than I anticipated. Tried not to push too much but to keep up a decent pace at all I had to work hard and the effort levels were way up. The mile coming back was 9.23 and the HR was spiked. The rest of the route was a little more sheltered but the wind was still in the face so couldn’t recover full and had to keep the effort level high to stay on pace. Managed to finish it out, just slipped a little in the last mile (partly due to crossings), but overall it was much harder than I’d have liked.

Thursday 12 September
    Plan: 3mi Recovery
    Actual: 3.12mi 32.37 (10.28/mi AvgHR 134)
    Nice and easy on the grass in Trinity. Felt a lot slower, think the GPS was a bit off. Heart rate was nice and low too. Considering it was also quite warm. All fairly uneventful.

Saturday 14 September
    Plan: 16mi LSR
    Actual: 16.04mi 2.43.33 (10.12/mi AvgHR 148)
    Dropping back from the 20 mile last week it was tempting to be very complacent about this. But with the hard mid-week run in the legs too it couldn’t be taken for granted. Brought the full hydration pack so just over a litre of water, three gels and some chocolate. Decided to take in a few of the steeper hills in Tymon to keep it interesting. Left it a bit late in the afternoon so it was pretty warm and sunny.
    Same approach as I’ve applied to all the long runs, fairly conservative first half with the aim to finish strong. Took the gels in line with how I’ll use them in the marathon so one every 4 miles or so, nibbling on some chocolate in between. Found the legs feeling tired more than anything for this. Played with paces a bit to keep things interesting and to keep the legs turning over when they were tiring in the last 5 miles or so.
    Despite feeling tired still managed to hit very close to PMP as I picked up the pace for the last mile. Probably could have done with an electrolyte tab in the water as I did end up with a bit of a headache in the evening. First time wearing 1000 mile socks, they’re like little silk gloves of loveliness, feet felt amazing, will definitely be wearing them for the marathon. Happy with how the gels are working and the little bits of chocolate. Have ordered salt tabs and little energy bars to add to the mix in the next few weeks.

Sunday 15 September
    Actual: 3.52mi 38.43 (11.01/mi AvgHR 134)
    Misty and cool, perfect for meandering around really. Threw on the old runners and stuck to the grass in Bancroft park. Legs were fine, the kind of heaviness that I’d expect at this stage. I’ve been slacking a bit on the stretching and rolling, so did a really good session after this and the legs felt really fresh afterwards.

Weekly Miles: 39.91
    Month to Date: 82.91
    Year to Date: 980.88

DCM Novices Plan Week 13

Monday 16 September
    Plan: Easy 3mi
    Actual: 3.02mi 30.09 (9.59/mi AvgHR 136)
    Just home in time to get this one done before dark. Local loop, through Tallaght Village and back the Airton Road. Nice evening, pace and HR in a good place.

Tuesday 17 September
    Plan: Easy 4mi with 5xStrides
    Actual: 4.76mi 44.08 (9.16/mi AvgHR 152)
    Lovely sunny afternoon and managed to get out on my lunch. Headed into Trinity, place was very busy, and the TT runners were doing a track session. Pace was a bit up, partly because I think I felt like a snail seeing the pace they were doing in the session. Never felt like I was pushing it though and it was very enjoyable. Did the strides on the track, using the 100m straight for the strides, and the 100m bend to jog recoveries. This got the HR up a bit as I jogged rather than walking for full recovery. Felt great though.

Wednesday 18 September
    Plan: Recovery 3mi
    Actual: 3.08mi 31.31 (10.14/mi AvgHR 138)
    Another lunch time on the Trinity grass, with no session on the track there was some serious sunbather encroachment, so the running area was a bit less than usual. Pace a bit up for recovery but the HR was good. Perfect day for it so hard not to enjoy it.

Thursday 19 September
    Plan: Recovery 3mi
    Actual: Rest
    Had planned to do another recovery pace run, but hectic in work so no chance at lunch. Tired in the evening after working late the night before too and the grass desperately needed a cut. So the session ended up being grass cutting in the dark instead of recovery jogging! No harm done, it was an optional day on the plan anyway.

Friday 20 September
    Plan: Easy 2mi
    Actual: 2.24mi 23.01 (10.16/mi AvgHR 142bpm)
    Decided to get this one done before leaving for work to maximise the recovery time. Despite my best intentions it was after 7am before I got out. Bit of a shock to system, been a good while since I just got out of bed and headed out for a run. Not a bad experience, although the HR was a bit higher than I’d like. Swallowed a fly around the mile mark, the associated coughing fit didn’t help. Tickle in my throat most of the day since, hoping that the fly is not stuck and that I’m not coming down with something.

Week Miles to Date: 13.1
    Month Miles to Date: 96
    Year Miles to Date: 994

Mid-week update, seeing as it’s half marathon race day tomorrow. I’ll pass 1,000 miles for the year assuming I get at least half way around. Passed 400 miles for the plan to date this morning. 10k and 10 mile races haven’t gone to plan for a variety of reasons. Hoping to nail the sub 1.50 so that I can firm up a sub 4 marathon target. Definitely planning a more conservative start than the last two races and hoping to build into it and finish strong. New runners didn’t arrive in time, so not sure whether to go with the Hoka Gaviota or the Asics GT1000 (or to bring the GT 2000’s out of retirement that I wore in Wicklow, maybe just patch up the holy toe!). Arthritis has flared a bit this week, probably a combination of work stress and eating more dairy than normal, will need to keep an eye on it. Shouldn’t affect me in the race.

I ran sub 1.55 on a very hilly Wicklow course back in March off just a few months back running. I really should be able to hit 1.50 at this stage given the volume of training. I’d been planning to target 1.46 in Clontarf before switching to this plan and I ran a very comfortable 1.56.30 with a sub 8 last mile. The only thing making me really doubt the 1.50 is the way the 10 mile went. I didn’t have any fuel that day, so for this I’ll be taking 2 High5 Aqua gels and probably a little bar. Feeling quietly confident, but don’t want to get the hopes too high.

Novice plan week 13 continued...

Saturday 21 September
    Plan: Dublin City Half Marathon
    Actual: Warmup - 0.93mi 10.11 (10.57/mi AvgHR 147) Race - 13.2mi 1.49.03 (8.16/mi AvgHR 168) Chip time: 1.49.02

Race report in the novices thread. Went to plan. Very comfortable for the most part. Last mile the fastest even with the climb. Probably had a few more minutes in me if the other build up races had gone better and I was more confident going in. Over a 2 minute negative split. Went through 10 miles a good bit quicker than the Frank Duffy. Think I had a quicker 10k in there than the South Dublin 10k too.

3.59.xx feels like a realistic goal for DCM again now.

Sunday 22 September
    Plan: 2mi Recovery

First time I’ve skipped a recovery run I think. Nothing physical. Up early to watch rugby and catch up on UFC. Rain was horrendous later on and decided to just enjoy the rest.

Week Miles: 27.2
    Month to Date: 114.3
    Year to Date: 1008

1,000 miles for the year passed. A race that finally went to plan. New runners arrived this morning. A good few days overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on half ! Looking good for DCM

DCM Novices Plan Week 14

Monday 23 September
    Plan: 4mi Easy
    Actual: 4.15mi 41.20 (9.57/mi AvgHR 144)
    Run was nice, first time down in Merrion in a while, rain kept the crowds away and I avoided the worst of it. Garmin bumped the V02 max up to 51 after for an added bonus.
    First time trying Saucony (Guide ISO 2). Similar enough feel to Asics. Thought the heel collar might have been a tiny bit loose and rubbing but was ok, maybe just a lacing issue. Quite spacious in the toe box which I like. Overall quite nice, a little firm but decent cushioning.

Tuesday 24 September
    Actual: 3.02mi 30.18 (10.03/mi AvgHR 139)
    Warm enough day, mostly on the grass and around Trinity campus. Trying out the Hoka Arahai 3 for the first time. Felt a good bit firmer than I expected and a bit flat footed. Not something I’ve felt with the Gaviota’s. Feels like they’ll take a bit of breaking in. Otherwise a grand jog.

Wednesday 25 September
    Plan 8mi Easy
    Actual: 8.04mi 1.16.30 (9.31/mi AvgHR 147)
    'Quickest' easy run since the first weeks of the plan. Out past RTE and back via Leeson St with a couple of laps of the Green to finish. Got a wink off the little blonde Garda on duty at the British Embassy to boost the confidence! Felt great, really relaxed, HR in the right zones. Really liking the Saucony runners, they're looking like a good candidate for the big day, nice balance of cushion and responsiveness. Will give them and the Hoka's a run each on the last few LSRs and decide which way to go. Ready to attack these last few big weeks and then 'enjoy' the taper.

Thursday 26 September
    Plan 5mi Easy
    Actual: 5.12mi 51.18 (10.01/mi AvgHR 138bpm)
    Similar route to the day before, a bit windy, no winks. Legs were feeling a bit tired so slowed it down a bit. Hoks’a still feeling a bit flat but feel like they’re breaking in a bit. Kept the HR nice and low. Overall quite a nice run.

Friday 27 September
    Plan: Rest
    Day off because we were heading to Bellator. Long day with the fights starting at 5.15. Up in the cheap seats so up and down a heap of stairs every time to get a drink or go to the jacks. Glad I was sticking to the soft drinks. After 1am getting home and a lot more miles on the legs than an average rest day.

Saturday 28 September
    Plan: 20mi LSR
    Actual: 20.13m 3.35.36 (10.43/mi AvgHR 147)
    Up early, wife was at a course in Wexford and the rugby was on. Tired from the night before, breakfast while watching the match and headed out shortly after. Well prepared, 4 gels, 2 zero tabs in the full hydration pack, and 2 little energy bars. Ate one of the little bars just before starting. Planned to head down to the reservoir so a tough enough route. Felt OK starting and kept it nice and slow, turned back into the wind after the first mile and it was a headwind pretty much from there to mile 10. Anything quicker than 10.30/mi was raising the HR, so just eased off the effort. Body was tired and so was the mind. Plenty of aches and pains but nothing too dramatic. Overheated a bit, expected it to be cooler and wore a double layer long sleeve trail running top.
    Took gels just past miles 4, 8, 12 and 16. Energy levels actually felt fine, it was just the general tiredness in the body, was getting aches in my neck and shoulders as well as the hamstrings, quads, groin, knees, hips, just feeling a bit sorry for myself at times. Never felt like I wasn’t going to get it done, but would have been easy to quit (the kind of run I’d never have finished in the past, because I wouldn’t have listened to the body and I’d have kept trying to push in the early stages). Wore the Saucony again and got a blister on my left big toe. That was a new one.
    Picked up the pace a little towards the end, last mile the quickest again, although I never dipped under 10mins and even had 4 miles on the 11’s. Effort felt enough that I was working so they weren’t just junk miles. Main goal was getting it done and getting the body used to the time on my feet. The over exuberance early in the week, of the back of the half marathon probably had an impact too. For next weeks LSR might aim for 2 or 3 PMP miles at the end, just to build the confidence heading into the taper.

Sunday 29 September
    Actual: 3.24mi 34.50 (10.46/mi AvgHR 136)
    Nice local loop around Tallaght Village and Kilnamanagh. Surprised at how OK everything was feeling. Hoka’s starting to feel a bit better too. Nice pace, nice HR and all well with the world.

Biggest weekly mileage ever. Finally breaking through the 40 mile barrier. Monthly over 150 for the first time too.

Weekly Miles: 43.7
    Month to Date: 153.85
    Year to Date: 1052

• Advertisement

DCM Novices Plan Week 15 and 16

A two week update, as the wheels threatened to come off. I think a combination of being extremely busy with work, the volume of training, the changing seasons etc. conspired to see me getting run down and picking up a fairly nasty dose. The meant missing the last proper long run and some patchy training. With a compromise medium long run in there to try and compromise a bit. Seem to be over it now, although it really took its time getting out of my system. I’ve added some Pharmaton active life to my diet to try and give myself a bit of a boost over the next few weeks. Trying to remind myself that it was all coming together really nicely just before this and the hard work was effectively done, so there shouldn’t be any major impact.

Monday 30 September
    Actual: 3.11mi 32.49 (10.33/mi AvgHR136)
    The fact I decided on stew for lunch after this sums it up. Cold, wet, fairly miserable. Only a t-shirt and shorts and not running quick enough to warm up. Not the most fun ever. Would have been a nice day for a tough session though. On the plus side all feels good, no aches or injuries. This was mostly around Merrion Sq. Looking back, I wonder if this was the trigger for the cold.

Tuesday 01 October
    Plan: 5mi Easy
    Actual: 5.07mi 50.01 (9.51/mi AvgHR141)
    One of my regular enough routes, which brings me back into town via the last few miles of the marathon. Rainy, windy, miserable. At least I had a jacket. If it's like that on marathon day the last couple of miles with wind and rain driving into your face won't be much fun, made the jubilant crossing the finish line visualisation a bit more difficult! Happy with the paces and the heart rate for this.

Wednesday 02 October
    Plan: 5mi PMP with 1mi Warmup and Cooldown
    Actual: 7mi 1.05.09 (9.18/mi AvgHR148) PMP Miles; 9.04, 9.00, 8.57, 9.01, 8.56
    Extended version of Tuesday’s run.
    What a difference a day makes. Pretty much perfect running conditions. Hoka Arahai coming into their own when the pace is picked up a bit. Only worry is possible blisters on the left arch, which seems to happen with me and every pair of Hoka's, though going up half a size would fix it but jury is out. Will try on the 18mi on Saturday. Happy with the effort levels for the PMP, HR stayed nice and low and came down very quickly when I eased off.

Thursday 03 October
    Actual: 3.2mi 32.44 (10.14/mi AvgHR139)
    The day hurricane Lorenzo was due to strike. I was out around Stephen’s Green at lunch and it was calm as could be. Probably a bit too quick for recovery pace, but I was feeling good still.

Friday 04 October
    Very, very hectic day in work. Was due to meet my wife and nephew for food and cinema to celebrate his junior results, but I was too late for food and just about made the cinema. Ended up a late enough night. No alcohol (don’t think I’ve had a drink since starting this plan), but I need my sleep at the best of times.

Saturday 05 October
    Plan: 18mi Long Run
    Actual: Nothing
    Woke up feeling a bit rough. Blamed it on the busy day and late night. Thought I might do a short run and put the long run back a day, but ended up doing nothing.

Sunday 06 October
    If I thought I felt bad Saturday, I felt like I’d been hit by a bus Sunday. I’d had a bot of a tickly cough coming on and it go much worse, that didn’t help with my sleep, I’d a sore throat, a headache and blocked up sinuses to go with it as well as getting sweats and chills. Debated forcing myself out the door, but in all likelihood it would have done more hard than good.

Week Miles: 18.38
    September Miles: 156.95
    October to Date: 15.27
    Year to Date: 1070

Monday 07 October
    Four days in a row of nothing. Still feeling awful. Would probably have taken a day off work, but not an option. Dosed up on cold & flu meds and hoped for the best. Resting HR way up on normal so definitely dealing with some sort of infection of virus.
    Tuesday 08 October:
    Actual: 14.4mi 2.27.19 (10.16/mi AvgHR161)
    Wouldn’t say I was feeling 100% but definitely a bit better. Culmination of the busy few weeks in work, finished up at a reasonable time and had brought gear with the intention to run home if feeling up to it. Having missed the last long run and gone four days with no running at all, decided to make this a compromise run and throw in a few MP miles. Decided on 5 miles easy followed by a mile pick up. Route out of town via Cork St and onto the marathon route. Mostly uphill, hadn’t decided on a final distance to aim for, but thinking was 14-16. Legs felt super and was glad of the busy streets keeping the pace down early. It’s a long old drag up the Crumlin road and then Walkinstown. Hit the 5 miles just before the KCR and started into the first PMP effort. Darkness had set in and I struggled to up the pace enough, felt like I was springing along. At least it was a flat and even slightly downhill part of the route.
    Rather than head directly toward Tallaght stayed on the marathon route. Headed around KCR, back down into Terenure, Rathgar and then left the route at the turn for Orwell Park and followed the Dodder back towards Tallaght. I was feeling Ok although I knew my HR was elevated and I was starting to feel a few aches and pains once I got to around 10 miles. The second pick up in pace was after mile 11, this was mostly an uphill drag, took a decent effort to get to the pace again. After this I was definitely feeling it and I was coming back into Tallaght via Firhouse. Was still debating how much further to run, but once I realised I was going to be just over the 14 miles nearing home I decided to call it quits. Glad, I did, looking at it afterwards the HR was a good bit too high, and the aches and pains were definitely a result of still being under the weather. I was glad to get a decent run done, but knew I’d need to be careful for the rest of the week.
    Wore the Hoka’s and there was some soreness and blistering again, so the Saucony will be the marathon shoe.

Wednesday 09 October:
    Actual: 3.24mi 35.53 (11.04/mi AvgHR138)
    Evening recovery jog. Felt like I needed to keep the body moving. Was pretty zonked and it was dark again so the pace was very leisurely. Legs felt the better for it at least.

Thursday 10 October:
    Didn’t want to push things too much. And decided to give myself a full day rest.

Friday 11 October:
    Actual: 5.13mi 51.26 (10.01/mi AvgHR146)
    Lunchtime run. Feeling pretty decent and HR back a lot closer to where I’d expect it to be. Covered the closing miles of the marathon route again and did a few laps of Merrion square. Most interesting was the protest camp set up in and around the square. Hopefully won’t cause any issues for the marathon.

Saturday 12 October
    Plan: 14mi Long Run
    Had hoped to at least do a recovery but day got away from me. Another full rest day probably no harm.

Sunday 13 October
    Actual: 13.95mi 2.21.24 (10.08/mi AvgHR148)
    Feeling pretty much back to normal. Headed out with the intention of 11 miles easy and 3 miles pmp, picking up from the slower to the quicker end PMP. All went fine, body generally feeling ok, got the nicest part of the day too. Watch had a weird glitch and somehow jumped a mile, so it effectively skipped mile 11 or 12, not sure exactly, but it added the full distance. As a result, it was giving me knew PBs for everything from 1k to 5k. Hopefully nothing like that happens on the day. I was very confused and it meant The watch was showing 14 miles completed when I was still around a mile from home. I decided to jog the mile home anyway, glad I did, because otherwise I’d have been a mile short.
    The pace jump definitely got the HR going, it felt hard enough, but hopefully with fresher legs and fully recovered from this cold, on the day it’ll be sustainable for longer than what if felt it would be.

Week Miles: 36.72
    Month to Date: 52
    Year to Date: 1106

DCM Novices Plan Week 17

Monday 14 October
    Actual: 3.06mi 33.04 (10.48/mi AvgHR 136bpm)
    Nothing very memorable, didn’t feel that great but nothing worrying. Kept the pace nice and easy.

Tuesday 15 October
    Plan: 3mi Easy
    Actual: 3.25mi 32.31 (9.59/mi AvgHR 146bpm)
    Another lunchtime run out to Ballsbridge, struggled a bit to find easy pace, everything was a bit up and down, HR got up a bit higher than I like but settled down too. Again, nothing too memorable.

Wednesday 16 October
    Plan: 4mi Easy
    Actual: 4.06mi 40.16 (9.55/mi AvgHR 143bpm)
    This was a nice one, with a few of the lads from work, one who’s a 3hr marathoner and another running his first. Pace crept up at times, but I’ve been pretty disciplined throughout this plan so I didn’t let things get carried away and pulled it back where needed. Nice run down along the Liffey and back through Ringsend and Irishtown.

Thursday 17 October
    Plan: 4mi with 6xStrides
    Sort of rest day. Took a day off, helping out with wife’s sister’s kids. Collected them from school and brought them to Jumpzone and Eddie Rockets. Great craic in Jumpzone, but attempting to impress 9 and 7 year olds on the trampolines and the ninja obstacle course and warped walls probably not very sensible! Mostly upper body aches and pains after and a very different type of workout. The Eddie’s doing nothing for the weight either.

Friday 18 October
    Actual: 4.28mi including strides 45.04 (10.32/mi AvgHR 142)
    Debated skipping it completely, I was wrecked from the ‘rest’ day. Glad I got out though, kept it very easy and added a few strides around Merrion Sq to stretch the legs and they felt good. Another run taking in the last couple of miles of the marathon course. It’ll look a bit different on the day.

Saturday 19 October
    Plan: 8mi LR
    Still feeling pretty wrecked so decided to rest and do the last LR on Sunday

Sunday 20 October
    Plan: 3mi Recover
    Actual: 8.01mi 1.20.52 (10.06/mi AvgHR 149bpm)
    Another run on very familiar paths. Bancroft park and Tymon park, taking in the steep hill. Legs felt pretty good, paces felt easy. Don’t wear headphones and got a phone call so was on the phone for most of mile 6. For some reason I increased the pace, so while chatting at the same time and only using one arm the HR naturally also crept up. Was happy with how I felt all the way around. By my calculations the base mileage for this plan is 537 and I’m just at 536 after this run, so pleased to have banked that little bit with the extra optional recovery days.

Week Total: 22.66mi
    Month to Date: 74.65mi
    Year to Date: 1129.7

I’m happy going into marathon week. I think I’ve got a consistent block behind me, with just a minor setback of missing the last 18 mile and being under the weather for a week or so. Some disappointments with the 10k and 10mile results, but very happy with the half. Plan is for a sensible first half, crossing the half around 2.01 and if all systems are feeling good running a 1.58ish second half. A lot of it will come down to the last 3 or 4 miles and if there’s anything in the tank.
    I’ve updated my pace band to add colours to remind me when to take a gel, a snack and a salt tab. Printed them and sellotaped the life out of them to hopefully keep them water proof. Will lay out the gear, trim the nails and maybe even get a haircut during the week. No turning back now!

DCM Novices Plan Week 18 MARATHON WEEK

Monday 21 October
    Plan: 3mi Recovery or rest
    Making the most of the taper, having delayed the 8 mile to Sunday.

Tuesday 22 October
    Plan: 2mi Easy
    Actual: 2.14mi 21.34 (10.06/mi AvgHR 137)
    Just laps of the outside of Stephen’s Green. Nice running conditions. All feeling OK, just about keeping the legs moving.

Wednesday 23 October
    Plan: 3mi PMP with 1mi Warm up and Cool down
    Actual: 5mi 46.56 (9.23/mi AvgHR 149) PMP Splits: 9.10, 9.03, 8.29
    Nice run, found it hard enough to settle into the paces right from the off. Breezy out and mostly in my face for the first MP mile. Effort wasn’t exactly easy for MP and I seemed to be always either too fast or too slow. As I turned onto the closing miles of the course just before the end of the second MP mile I was visualising finishing strong on tired legs. I think that made it feel a bit harder and also resulted in it being a bit quicker that it should have been. Enjoyed the cool down mile coming up the last mile of the course, and thinking about how mush different it’s going to be on Sunday.

Thursday 24 October
    Plan: 3mi Easy
    Started to feel a bit ropey on the bus home on Wednesday. Was varying between sweating and cold when I got home. Headed to the shops for a few bit and that continued when I got home. Had an Epsom salt bath and headed to bed early with a bit of a headache coming on. Sleep was only OK and I woke a couple of times with head aching.

Felt dreadful in the morning, headache and fairly bunged up too. Couldn’t even drink my morning coffee and was a bit nauseous. Had a Benylin tablet left from the cold a couple of weeks ago and popped that and felt better by lunch. Spent a fair part of the day planning my next batch of training and running (while doubting if I’ll make the start of the marathon). Purchased some more pills while out at lunch, hoping it’s partly just in my head but really not feeling great at all. Shelved the run today, may do a little leg stretcher tomorrow or Saturday but will see how I feel.

I’ve had a couple of relatively bad doses in the last few months but they’ve mostly passed quickly so hoping this is the same. One of the side effects of the arthritis meds is that the immune system is a bit weakened. After a year of building up to this I’ll be gutted if I can’t make the start. If I feel like I did this morning it’ll be a very tough decision, but I think I’ve learned enough about how horrible it feels running when sick to make the smart decision if it needs to be made.

In a positive turn of events feeling a good bit better today. Still a niggly headache and a bit of sinus congestion but don't think I've a full on flu or a particularly bad headcold. Fingers crossed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hope it stays that way and you're feeling ok to run on Sunday. Would be devastating if you couldn't after all the training. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hopefully that dose has stayed away and you're good to go tomorrow?

If so, that sub 4 dream is within reach - best of luck!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Hopefully that dose has stayed away and you're good to go tomorrow?

If so, that sub 4 dream is within reach - best of luck!

All good I think. Plenty of carbs and electrolytes on board today. Might see ya around the back of wave 2 at the start.

Copying my race report from the Novices thread

Dublin Marathon Race Report

Pre-Race
    There was so much good advice on Boards over the course of this plan and I learned a huge amount. This really came into play for marathon week, I was conscious of sensibly eating carbs, salty foods, not eating too much protein the day before, not drinking too late the evening before or drinking too much the morning of the marathon. I suffer quite badly from dehydration, so it was a worry for me, I picked up some Precision Hydration tablets at the Expo and I feel this was really worthwhile too, much higher concentration than zero tabs (I think they were recommended in a YouTube vid shared to the novices what's app group). I hadn't slept well Friday night, but slept pretty soundly Saturday and woke up feeling good around 5.25.

I'd had a touch of man-flu on Thursday too but that seemed to pass quickly (probably maranoia too). Purple hydration tablet in the morning, one tab split over two 250ml bottles, the second one that I brought to the start and sipped until I finished it around 4 miles in. Bagels with peanut butter and some proteinella for breakfast, with a banana and a double Nespresso. Not eating too late and eating clean meant my stomach was ready and cleared out well before leaving the house, which was a great bonus, it's always a worry for me. Got the gear on, including hideous luminous yellow visor and black arm-warmers I'd picked up at the expo.

Left the house a bit later than planned at about 7.40. Handy enough getting into town, although it was a bit confusing if we'd be able to get to our planned parking just off Kildare St (work spaces). Made it anyway, parked up and started heading to the start area by about 8.10. Left my wide at the barriers and arrange to see her in the first few miles and again at Dolphin's Barn. Bag drop was hectic but nice and quick and slowly strolled up towards wave 2. Queued for the portaloos near the front of the wave and by the time I got in and out it was pretty much go time. Stripped off the hoody and trackies, and strolled along at the back of the wave towards the start. I was surprised at how relaxed I was and really enjoyed the atmosphere and chats with a few people along the way.

The Race
    Before I knew it Wave 2 was on the move. I ate a little energy bar on the way to the start. I stayed well at the back, didn't waste any energy starting to run before the line, I knew most in this wave were going to be setting off quicker than me. I had my pace band and all the advice from here so I made sure to keep the start easy and controlled.

Mile 1 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.22)
    By starting easy and at the back of the wave there was little or no congestion, didn't have to slow at all really. Pace felt ridiculously easy and I found it creeping under 9 now and again so I had to slow myself down a few times. I was determined to run the racing line as much as possible too so was tight to the inside of the bends as much as possible. Great buzz all along here.

Mile 2 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.16)
    With the big downhill in this stage I didn't mind speeding up a little more that the pace band. Had a text from the wife before the start to say she's be at Ellis Quay so was looking at for her at that point (yes I carried my phone, Decathlon marathon shorts were brilliant). More great support all along here. Spotted my wife just over the bridge and slowed for a quick peck. First little boost and feeling great.

Mile 3 (Target: 9.29 Actual: 9.33)
    Hill was steeper than I expected and I was happy to slow things down and not get carried away. Didn't bother with the water station as I was carrying my bottle from the start. Some good support in parts, quite a few twists and turns too. Watch was already beeping a good bit before the markers. I think there was about 17 seconds difference between my pace band and the 3 mile marker. I think the whole way it was between about 12 and 20 seconds difference.

Mile 4 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Into the park now and quite a twisty section. Trying to follow the racing line still, pretty quiet support wise, quite peaceful really. Still feeling really good and controlled. Took my first gel just before the 4 mile mark.

Mile 5 (Target: 9.22 Actual: 9.20)
    First of the straight miles up Chesterfield, some pockets of support but again pretty quiet. Had a chat about the lovely conditions and the joy of running in the park with a guy along here, he was running quicker than me but his target was 4.30, I've a feeling he might have had a tough finish. Despite starting in Wave 2 I didn't feel like I was going backwards at any stage, yes, there was probably more people passing me than I was passing but it wasn't enough to be disheartening or to make me want to speed up.

Mile 6 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.18)
    Water station along here, so I took a bottle and dropped in a half an orange hydration tablet. A bit fiddly getting it out of the Ziploc, especially with gloves on, but got there in the end. A few more supporters and got a nice cheer and an offer of a bottle of water from one of my workmates. I was looking forward to getting to the cheering zone at Myo's now.

Mile 7 (Target: 9.20 Actual: 9.19)
    Lovely stretch through Castleknock with the live band on stage and then the huge crowds at Myo's. Loved acknowledging the crowds, got a bit emotional for the first of quite a few times! It's amazing seeing all the people out supporting, the different causes, the different motivations for runners, it's amazing to be a part of. Ate another little energy bar here.

Mile 8 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.55)
    The first of the downhill miles and a chance to open the legs a bit. Second gel at mile 8. Feeling really good, based on the mile markers I was a bit behind the pace band, even though I was on schedule by the watch so I didn't mind being a bit quicker than plan. Didn't force things at all, just let gravity do the work. Think there was another water station just before mile 9 but I skipped it as I'd carried my bottle from the previous one.

Mile 9 (Target: 8.58 Actual: 8.55)
    Back into the park, little climb and then downhill again. The DJ at the to of the hill helpfully told us there was only 18 miles to go, had a bit of a laugh with a woman running alongside me at this. Used the downhills again, pace was creeping up a bit too much the odd time so had to check myself a few times.

Mile 10 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 8.53)
    Still going downhill, I think coming down towards the exit to the park was where I found myself speeding up a bit too much. Turning into Chapelizod was the first time I started to feel the effort a little bit and a couple of doubts crossed my mind. Great crowds in the village again which was a booster and spotted another work colleague and got a big cheer.

Mile 11 (Target: 9.10 Actual: 9.17)
    This was a very quiet mile and came with the added bonus of the hill out of Chapelizod. I was really aware of the advice that this one could be a killer. I also remembered flying up it 5 years ago and the pain the last 5 miles brought, so I backed right off the pace and just chugged up the hill gently. Didn't panic to get back on pace, just gradually would it back up.

Mile 12 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.01)
    More support again and a nice mainly flat or downhill through Kilmainham. Reminded me that I've still never gone to visit the Gaol and it's on my to do list. Gel at mile 12. Working a bit but not feeling too bad. I knew this was going to be tough, so I'm well prepared, remind myself to trust the training and the plan. Looking forward to seeing my wife again at Dolphin's Barn, keep smiling, acknowledging the crowds, high fiving a few kids etc.

Mile 13 (Target: 9.08 Actual: 9.08)
    A lovely mile through Rialto and the South Circular. The old lady's singing Molly Malone in Rialto bringing a huge smile. Knew my wife was going to be at the petrol station at Dolphin's Barn, made sure there was nobody behind me a slowed for another reassuring peck! Set off again with a big smile on my face and feeling good. Everything was going pretty much to plan.

Half Way (Target: 2.00.58 Actual: 2.00.51)
    Spot another work colleague who offers a bottle of water just before the half. The actual time here is taken from the Marathon app. I think it was pretty similar by my own count too. Quick check of the systems and all is still feeling ok. Remind myself to take this drag to Walkinstown handy enough and conserve as much as possible for the closing mile.

Mile 14 (Target: 9.12 Actual: 9.15)
    Water station early in this mile I think. Take a bottle and drop in another half a hydration tablet and take a salt capsule here too. Had it on my pace band to eat another energy bar here too. I can't really remember if I did. I think I most likely did though. Very familiar with this stretch of road, it's the worst of the drag and I don't push it.

Mile 15 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 9.05)
    Course flattens a bit through Drimnagh and pace picks up before easing into the drag to Walkinstown Roundabout. A few people starting to struggle now and have to be careful avoiding the walkers. I know there's a couple of friends at the roundabout so looking out for them as I get up to it. Sun is in there eyes so I see them before they see me and I think I frightened the life out of them. Quick high five and push on to the 15 mile mark and another gel.

Mile 16 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.58)
    These were the miles I was looking forward to. I'd run them in training a few weeks back, it's mostly flat and it's time to really start racing. Body knows it's working, there's no hiding that, a few aches here and there but nothing worrying. I'm really starting to make progress now and passing people. I remember hearing a few people mention the 4 hour pacers so I have a feeling they're not too far behind and might even be visible if I look back, but I'm not looking back. They won't catch me.

Mile 17 (Target: 9.06 Actual: 8.59)
    Another water station early in the mile. I think I took a bottle and added half a hydration tab. I remember a few people taking gels from the gel station. I had a lot of stuff sloshing in my stomach and wasn't keen on taking on too much more. Support is mixed along here, a couple of good spots, it's a boring enough stretch. Spot another work colleague and give her a fright with my shout, another offer of sustenance, jellies this time, but I decline again and push on. Really looking forward to the turn towards Terenure and the downhill sections.

Mile 18 (Target: 8.57 Actual: 8.54)
    Lovely support at Bushy park and Terenure village. Poor soul down getting his legs massaged at the park. Also a tub of Vaseline on the wall for anyone having chaffing issues, it looks well used! Lots of high fiving kids and hitting power up signs along here. Feeling pretty good and keeping things nice and steady.

Mile 19 (Target: 8.56, Actual: 8.54)
    Just keep motoring through Rathgar and the leafy streets of Orwell. Think there's another water station at mile 19, took a bottle but only had a few sips and chucked it, felt like I couldn't stomach too much more and was confident I was pretty well hydrated. Took another gel. Nice steady paces. Body was complaining a bit but still felt confident there was nothing that was going to stop me. It was around here the wheels starting coming off five years ago, and I knew I was in better shape this time.

Mile 20 (Target: 8.56 Actual: 8.54)
    Milltown mile. Still mostly downhill, spot the Mr Guappa sign and shout at the Boardsies! Feeling pretty good and keeping the pace nice and steady. More and more walkers and people struggling, I'm still making good progress. Some good crowds along here too.

Mile 21 (Target: 9.02 Actual: 8.54)
    Don't remember much about this at all. Pace still steady, had it on the pace band to eat another bar here but wasn't feeling like it at all so didn't bother. With five miles to go I knew I was on track and I remember being confident I was going to make it, even though the effort levels were definitely increasing.

Mile 22 (Target: 9.05 Actual: 9.03)
    Heartbreak hill. Not so heartbreaking. I think some of the drags before it were almost as bad. I was conscious of not using too much energy to push here, I knew it could be made back on the downhills if needed. Last gel around the hill, skipped the Lucozade and wanted water now but either missed it or couldn't get to it. People walking all over the place now and the biggest issue was not running into the back of people coming to a sudden standstill. Once I crested the hill I was just thinking keep it steady and bring it home.

Mile 23 (Target: 8.48, Actual: 8.51)
    Big downhill off Hearbreak hill couple of little incidents. Just at the start a woman stopped in front of myself and another woman, we were close enough to all being taken down, but just about avoided disaster. Then as I started to pick it up I could feel my hamstrings really tightening and I though they might cramp so eased off the gas a bit. The time was still in the bag with a steady pace, so there was no point trying for a few more seconds and getting a cramp. Great crowds here again and sure there's only a parkrun to go. Discarded my lovely luminous headband/visor here. Just wanted to have the breeze on my head. Didn't have the room in my pockets, I'd already taken gloves off and pocketed them.

Mile 24 (Target: 8.51 Actual: 8.55)
    Over the UCD flyover and I was feeling it a bit. There was a wind in my face, the effort was high, the hamstrings were tight, but I knew with the turn onto Nutley lane it would be downhill so just told myself to keep working. Nutley was a bit of a relief, took water from the station, took a few sips and poured some on my legs and arms. I've run these last few miles plenty of times in the last 18 weeks, I know I'm going to make it but I know it's not going to be easy.

Mile 25 (Target: 9.00 Actual: 8.56)
    Merrion Road, the RDS, crowds really picking up again. Just keep working. There's a few people in a really bad way now, being cared for by medics or random strangers at the road side. There's a poor woman on the ground with a few people trying to help here. I'm glad I'm not feeling like that. I know it's painful but the pain is what we trained for, I'd ready and I'm finishing this. Another work colleague just before the mile marker, a big cheer and a high five. It's one of the lads I've run with a fair bit, he's a near 3hr marathoner himself and I've been out cheering him the last few years, it's another little boost.

Mile 26 (Target: 9.01 Actual: 8.59)
    God this mile seems to drag on forever. I'm maybe too wary of pushing on and coming a cropper so I just keep it steady, the time is in the bag, it's all about trying to soak in the cheers and just getting to the line. The support is fantastic. There's a mixture of super strong finishers and people just desperately trying to keep moving now. What an amazing feeling. Emotions are high, looking out to see if I can sport more faces in the crowd but don't see anyone. Wife and friends were there though just lost in the crowds.

Finish (Target: 3.58.54 Actual: 3.59.08)
    Target was the pace band time, real target was anything starting with 3! Finish line came into view a bit sooner than I expected which was a huge relief. I was wrecked, but so, so happy, the training had got me to exactly where I wanted to be. I was going to cross the line sub 4. It was quiet a journey. Two years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd have been able to run regularly, there was days I could barely put my foot on the ground with the pain. Finally finding out a cause and a treatment just over a year ago changed everything. The psoriatic arthritis is under control and I'm getting my fitness back. So grateful to be able to do this, thoughts turn to those who can't, to friends and family who've been lost, to loved ones and the emotions are so high. Forget stopping the watch, put your hands in the air and celebrate the moment. Soak it in.

Post Race
    Oh dear God my legs, have to come to a sudden stop to avoid running into other finishers. Then the shuffle starts, everything hurts, but it's so worth it. Making my way very gingerly to the medal queue and I think I hear the announcer calling out Lanieyfrecks name, so I start looking out for her. Sure enough before we make it to the t-shirts I spot her. Some good chats from there to collecting the goodie bags, part ways to collect the bags from the drop and bump into each other again after. Great to at least meet one person from the Novices thread! Surprise then at the exit chute as I hear my parents calling me from the barrier, they've come up from Wexford to surprise me. Then the parents in law when I get out, who've braved the overcrowded Luas to get in too, and then my lovely wife and our friends who've come in to support.

The marathon is such a huge commitment and a worry to an extent for family. It means so much to have all their support, and in a way it drives home just what a small club the marathon club is and how few people will actually ever experience it. I'm wearing my finishers top and medal today as I write this, it's something I'll forever be proud of.

Thanks again to all the boardsies, the novices, the mentors and the other experienced boards heads who are always so full of useful information and wisdom. I think that's it for me and the marathon for a few years at least. I've already set out a plan for the next few months, starting with the boards base building plan, followed by the 10k to half plan with the Great Ireland Run 10k as my next target race. I'd love to get to sub 20 for 5k and close to 40 for 10k and take it from there. If I come back to the marathon it'll be with a view of taking it to sub 3.30 or maybe even 3.00 (a man can dream).

Looking at the results on tdl site it shows the stage positions.
    10k - 10493
    20k - 10003
    Half - 9911
    30k - 8758
    40k - 7442
    Chip - 7266
    Overall - 7498

Absolutely delighted with that. Really shows the benefit of a conservative start and trusting the training to make the most of the favourable profile in the second half.

I was really stretching the limits of my fitness to make the sub 4. I didn't lose enough weight or get my 5 and 10k times down enough before starting the marathon plan to make any lower a possibility. At times I wasn't sure the sub 4 was even realistic. The ideal conditions were probably necessary too or I wouldn't have made it. Ecstatic really.

Not feeling too bad today. Went for a stroll around the block and jogged a couple of hundred meters. Quads are tight, but that's expected. Left hamstring is a bit of a concern, I've felt a bit of a knot in it at times in training, and it was the one that nearly cramped yesterday. Might have to get it looked at. Slight pain just below my ankle in my right foot too, again something I've been noticing for a few weeks, I'm used to pain in the right foot from the arthritis and hadn't really noticed, or wanted to acknowledge that this is in a slightly different position and not radiating from the problem toes. Hopefully it's not really anything, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Off work tomorrow and might chance a short and very easy jog if everything feels relatively OK still.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Been snooping since the start. Well done. You're awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Great race report, perfectly executed run. Shows the benefits of having a plan in place, and what is possible. Congrats on sub 4. Go for it on the sub 3.30 front for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant report there P. In control from start to finish - no wonder you can remember so much of it :D Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done again! Was great to see a friendly face :)

Very best of luck with your future goals...I'm sure we will meet at future races:D

Thanks all!
    Brilliant report there P. In control from start to finish - no wonder you can remember so much of it :D Well done!

Believe it or not, the Wubbles Wonders novices thread was the one I first found and inspired me to use the boards novices thread and plan if I was ever going to try another marathon.

If I've any slight nagging doubt it's that I was a little too comfortable and there may have been a few more minutes there if I was a little less conservative. Having said that I don't think I'd have been any happier with a 3.57, it was all about just getting in under 4.

No action to report for the log. Actually brought my gear to work yesterday and arranged to go for a jog with another lad who had run Sunday, but got stuck in a meeting.

Met a couple of mates for lunch today and it looks like they'll both be entering the lottery. I'll be taking on coaching duties!

Will almost certainly get out for a couple of recovery paced miles tomorrow. Legs are itching for it.

Well done again! Was great to see a friendly face :)

Very best of luck with your future goals...I'm sure we will meet at future races:D

Hopefully see ya at the Jingle Bells 5k for starters anyway!

• Advertisement

Hopefully see ya at the Jingle Bells 5k for starters anyway!

Yep i'll be the happy little elf :D

So bit of a tidy up.

Marathon Week & Last Week

Total Miles: 35.74
    October Total: 108.14
    November to Date: 2.26
    Year to Date: 1165

Only the once short recovery run last Sunday. Just over 2 miles. Generally felt ok but still a bit of tenderness in the left hamstring. Probably won't run this week until Sunday. Heading to Rome for a few days tomorrow, should be plenty of walking and eating but running is very unlikely.

I have Run in the Dark on the 13th it'll be at easy pace for the most part, if I feel really comfortable I might pick it up a little for the last few KMs.

The week after that I plan to start the boards base building plan. That'll include the Jingle Bells 5k which I've signed up for, and I'll probably do the goal mile on Christmas day again. I ran exactly 7mins last year so it'll make for an interesting comparison. After that plan is to train for the Great Ireland Run 10k on 5th April. Would be nice to do another race of some sort in the build up. Might sign up for IMRA again and get to a few Winter League races.

Another week of not a lot to report. Spent a few days in Rome, plenty of walking to balance out the pizza, pasta and red wine (don’t think I drank at all during the marathon training, wasn’t a deliberate choice, just don’t tend to drink a lot or often anyway).

Went out on Sunday for 5k ish. Decided to just run at whatever pace felt natural. All felt fine heart rate was a bit elevated but not much higher than I’d expect for the pace.

Finished reading 80/20 running on the flight home. It really backs up the boards plans. I’ve decided after the base building I’ll do the boards 5k to 10k plan. I had been looking at the 10k to half plan but thinking about it I’ve been doing either half marathon or marathon training since last January really so the 5k to 10k plan might be more stimulating.

Weekly miles: 3.14
    Month to date: 5.4
    Year to Date: 1168

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Another week of not a lot to report. Spent a few days in Rome, plenty of walking to balance out the pizza, pasta and red wine (don’t think I drank at all during the marathon training, wasn’t a deliberate choice, just don’t tend to drink a lot or often anyway).

Went out on Sunday for 5k ish. Decided to just run at whatever pace felt natural. All felt fine heart rate was a bit elevated but not much higher than I’d expect for the pace.

Finished reading 80/20 running on the flight home. It really backs up the boards plans. I’ve decided after the base building I’ll do the boards 5k to 10k plan. I had been looking at the 10k to half plan but thinking about it I’ve been doing either half marathon or marathon training since last January really so the 5k to 10k plan might be more stimulating.

Weekly miles: 3.14
    Month to date: 5.4
    Year to Date: 1168

AFAIR, they're the same for the first few weeks anyway, so you're not too tied in if a different goal race takes your fancy.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    AFAIR, they're the same for the first few weeks anyway, so you're not too tied in if a different goal race takes your fancy.

Thanks. I did think they were quite similar alright. Looking forward to getting my teeth into a plan again.

Another relatively quiet week overall, but a slightly quicker than planned 10k at Run in the Dark thrown in and two days in a row, for the first time since the marathon with runs on Saturday and Sunday.

Wednesday 13 November
    Run in the Dark 10k (52.34 Chip time)
    I signed up for this out of a sense of marking an anniversary of sorts. In 2018 this race coincided with finally discovering the reason for my forefoot pain and getting it treated and under control. I was as out of shape as I’ve ever been and had gone through a really frustrating few years of varying levels of discomfort and inability to run or play any sports regularly.

When the sports and social club in work announced that they’d be supporting the event I got on board. I’d had some injections in my foot and started medication and was ready to see if it would stand up to some running. I had managed four short runs in September, one a week, and hit Tymon parkrun on the 20th of October to try and race it to see where my fitness was. 29 minutes and 18 seconds later I was under no illusions, I had thought I’d probably still be close to 25 min shape.
    I managed 3 runs a week for the 2 weeks leading into Run in the Dark on the 7th of November and set out not really knowing what to expect. I at least had the sense to start slow and managed to get around in 56.27, with the first half close to 29 minutes. That was enough to convince me to sign up for the Dublin marathon, and I’ve managed to run at least once a week since, clocking over 1,260 miles and completing the marathon in under four hours.

This year, the plan was run it easy and maybe pick it up a bit towards the end, I’d only had a couple of short runs since the marathon, but the body was feeling fresh enough. It was a cold and damp night. About eight of us were starting together with a range of goals from just sub 50 to mid-50s. I was planning to be around 54/55 at best. As we stood around and the race got delayed and we got colder, the chances of running a bit quicker became more likely.

When we finally crossed the start line all of my colleagues took off like it was a hundred meter sprint, being a stubborn fecker, I refused to bow to the peer pressure and toddled along at my own easy pace. I knew I’d be seeing a good few of them within a few miles anyway. Even with being fairly conservative I was tipping on a bit quicker than I’d envisaged. Up the North wall quay and over the Talbot bridge we went before turning back down city Quay. Rain holding off but some big puddles around, someone managed to trip over a barrier on the widest, straightest part of the course, not sure how he managed that, despite all the other hard to spot obstacles on the way around that was the only actual incident I noticed. Went through the first mile in 8.50.

Feeling good and just cruising as the course turns around the Grand Canal and outside the Bord Gais theatre, some really awkard bollards and ramps along here, also not clear whether the course is on the road or the path at certain points. Pretty congested in parts, but I was in no rush, main danger was people making dramatic and sudden sidesteps to try avoid puddles. Mile 2 in 8.44 and still no sign of any of my colleagues.

Mile 3 includes and out and back outside Shelbourne Park greyhound stadium (no scenic lap of the car park this year) and I spot a couple of the lads coming back down as I’m heading up, they look comfortable and on for the sub 50 so not expecting to see them again. We then head down into Ringsend and coming off the bridge I’ve started to pick up a bit more pace. Mile 3 clocks in at 8.36. I’m quite impressed that some of the colleagues have managed to stay ahead for this long, because they were well ahead of what they expected to be able to manage.

Mile 4 is a nice little stretch through Irishtown before making the turn onto Sean Moore Road. Pace is creeping up another bit, I’m feeling good and decide to start pushing a bit. It’s right on the turn that I spot 3 of the amigos, now I’ve a decision to make on whether to be sensible and just sit in with them to the end or to keep going with the momentum I’m building. They look like they’re starting to suffer a bit so after a quick shout to the Linford Christies I push on through the big puddle on the racing line and leave them be. 8.12 for the mile.

Mile 5, feeling that pick up a little bit now as we head towards the East link. Plenty of space here and then we hit the area around the Point and the merge with the 5k runners and walkers. It all gets very congested and awkward to negotiate but I’m not too upset to take the foot off the gas a bit and take stock of things. I’m still feeling good but definitely working fairly hard now. 8.17 for the mile.

Around the back of the Point and onto North Wall Quay for mile 6. Decide, I might as well keep stretching the legs and see if I can catch anyone else I know. Definitely feeling the work now, had absolutely no intention of running any of this at this pace. It’s fun though, and it feels good after all the months of hardly ever running under 9 minutes a mile. It’s still extremely busy along this stretch and it’s awkward to avoid puddle dodgers, walkers and sudden stoppers, but avoid any major drama. Mile clocks in at 8 mins flat and the dull red light in the distance appears to be the finish.

Last stretch measures just over a quarter mile on the watch, 1.58 or 7.35/mile pace according to Garmin. Almost have to stop before the line as there’s a wall of people just coming to a complete stop as soon as they step over the finish. Stopped the watch in 52.38 chip time is actually 52.34.
    In the end a very similar run to a year earlier, conservative start, strong finish, but almost 4 minutes quicker and so much more comfortable. I was fine immediately afterwards and no aches and pains the next day. Worst part was making our way back to the office when the freezing rain started to belt down. Hoping the quick recovery is a sign that there’s a good base there now and I can really start pushing on in 2020.

6.26mi 52.38 (8.24/mi AvgHR 171)

Saturday 16 November
    5.01mi 52.36 (10.30/mi AvgHR 140)
    Trying to be less conscious of the watch and to run more on feel and that’s how this went. Back on the local roads, although I got my distance a bit wrong and ended up doing a bit of a lap of the Lidl car park to get up to the planned 5 miles. I kept it easy, slowed whenever the effort felt like it was creeping up and generally enjoyed it on a nice crisp afternoon.

Sunday 17 November
    3.28mi 33.22 (10.10/mi AvgHR142)
    Similar enough to the day before just in the dark this time. Again, no real looking at the watch, just feeling things out. Happy enough with how it went, expected it to be a little quicker that the previous day and it was. Heart rate is around where I’d expect. It was quite elevated initially after the marathon and I’ve had a niggly little cold too but all seems to be settling down now. Six week base building plan to start now.

Week Miles: 14.55
    Month to Date: 19.95
    Year to Date: 1183

A bit of catching up to do. Still not really back into a routine. Body is definitely feeling better and a few minor aches have improved.

Was meant to be starting the boards base building plan after my last update but it hasn’t really got going, I’ve done a few of the runs but nothing like the mileage I was thinking.

Week 1;
    14.1 miles total, 3 runs

Week 2;
    9.54 miles total, 2 runs

Week 3;
    11.55 miles total, 3 runs

Week three should have included Jingle Bells but work lunch/Christmas do the night before put paid to my best laid plans. Was a bit gutted and haven’t run at all since.

Plan to get back out tomorrow and hopefully 3 or 4 days in a row.

November was my lowest mileage for 12 months.

November Total: 43.6
    December to Date: 11.55
    Year to date: 1218

Will be nice to get 1250 anyway for the year. Will be looking to get into the base plan a bit more and hit 20 something next week and 30 the week after. Will probably easy into the 5k to 10k plan then.

Once you get stuck in it will be no bother to you! The hardest part is getting started, get out & then keep it consistent & it will just become part of your routine;)

Ended up taking all of last week off. I don’t regret it. I was forcing myself out and losing the enjoyment. I was actually worried about having a full calendar week without a run for some reason. It’s the break I really probably should have taken straight after the marathon. I might have only done one short easy run the two weeks after but they were unnecessary and kept me in a completely unnecessary stress, on both the body and the mind.

Decided to play a lunchtime 5 a side with the work lads yesterday. Used to be a regular thing years back but it went on hiatus, between lads getting older, work hours changing and others moving on. It was revived this year and I hadn’t played at all due to the running. Jogged down, body nearly went into shock when I tried to sprint, it really is a completely different type of fitness, thoroughly enjoyed it and jogged back to the office. All together less than 3 miles but a different kind of stimulus that I think I needed.

Aiming to get out for a run again today. Will be trying to mix things up a bit more, playing the odd game of ball and maybe going back to lunchtime yoga in the new year too. Will keep the running ticking over, but maybe thinking less about plans, just enjoying it and mixing things up.

• Advertisement

Ended up taking all of last week off. I don’t regret it. I was forcing myself out and losing the enjoyment. I was actually worried about having a full calendar week without a run for some reason. It’s the break I really probably should have taken straight after the marathon. I might have only done one short easy run the two weeks after but they were unnecessary and kept me in a completely unnecessary stress, on both the body and the mind.

Decided to play a lunchtime 5 a side with the work lads yesterday. Used to be a regular thing years back but it went on hiatus, between lads getting older, work hours changing and others moving on. It was revived this year and I hadn’t played at all due to the running. Jogged down, body nearly went into shock when I tried to sprint, it really is a completely different type of fitness, thoroughly enjoyed it and jogged back to the office. All together less than 3 miles but a different kind of stimulus that I think I needed.

Aiming to get out for a run again today. Will be trying to mix things up a bit more, playing the odd game of ball and maybe going back to lunchtime yoga in the new year too. Will keep the running ticking over, but maybe thinking less about plans, just enjoying it and mixing things up.

P, do what works for you right now! There's no point running to a plan if you aren't enjoying it! The break after the marathon did me the world of good - take the break now & if you choose to come back to a plan you will feel much beter for it :D
    Best of luck in whatever you decide ;)

Advertisement