Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are the electric cars for the masses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

beauf wrote: »
    What is the new price of that 25k car? :confused:

€25k brand new on the road, incl. metallic paint. That was 2 years ago though. But several others got their 191 Ioniq on the road for €26k this week. Same spec as above + standard heated steering wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

unkel wrote: »
    €25k brand new on the road, incl. metallic paint. That was 2 years ago though. But several others got their 191 Ioniq on the road for €26k this week. Same spec as above + standard heated steering wheel.

Is this with a scrappage bonus or something.

191s for 26k yet folk reckon they'd sell their 171s privately for 23k.....something isn't quite right in here chaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I paid 25k on the road for my Ioniq with metallic paint.0-60 in a bit over 8s

Every major car reviewer puts it high 9s or low 10s to 60?

Have u verified it urself it does low 8s

Unless it's going down a hill its power to weight makes that time staggering

Only has 120bhp

http://www.zeperfs.com/duel6659-7609.htm

https://youtu.be/shvBmNzugkQ

0-60times.com

independent comparison site

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Is this with a scrappage bonus or something.

I scrapped a car that was end of life and needed scrapping (value €50). Any "company car" would have done. The dealer didn't even look at my car until after I took delivery of my new car.

Why are dealers knocking €5K off the list price of these in demand (supposedly) ioniqs when folk claim they can sell their 2 year old ones for just 2k less ?

0-60times.com

independent comparison site

They must be wrong then

Seen load of YouTube vids of Ioniq 0-60

No one gets low 8s

While Kona is bang on 7.5 secs, Leaf40 low 8s etc

Sure years back folk claimed 1.3 civics did 60 in under 9 secs too..... spoofers be spoofing etc etc grain of salt :)

If you give an EV serious welly how does the battery range react ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Augeo wrote: »
    If you give an EV serious welly how does the battery range react ?

If you give a petrol or diesel car serious welly, how does its range react?

If you give a petrol or diesel car serious welly, how does its range react?

It drops by upwards of 50%. But halving a 4/500 mile range isn't overly problematic when there are petrol stations rarely too far away :cool:

With all the bleating on about 0 to 60 I was thinking the EVs must surely defy physics or something ..... shock horror they don't ..... ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I scrapped a car that was end of life and needed scrapping (value €50). Any "company car" would have done. The dealer didn't even look at my car until after I took delivery of my new car.

We're including Scrappage offers. Be nice if we were upfront about that. Time to leave.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

troyzer wrote: »
    Maybe you don't know what trim means.

Yeah misread 'trim' as 'them', another common EV myth is the extra depreciation. That was kind of true a few years back but in general EVs are generally depreciating at a lower rate than the rest of the market. The Ioniq is a special case, its a very good car with far too low supply, the 2nd hand prices have therefore stayed very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

troyzer wrote: »
    Cost isn't the issue so much as value for money.

Of course there are electric cars the same price as some of those listed above, but you always take a huge hit on trim.

Electric cars, bar the Kona, have a very high spec. Most as standard

A “cheap” spec/trim havenot sold well (Leaf xe) so got moved from market. Even the Kona with the range was expected to fly out door and Hyundai are struggling because of the low spec

A 5k second hand Zoe will have a far better trim to a lot of Irish bought BMW 3 series

U
    The topic is where are EVs for the masses.
    The discussion has clarified that they don't exist as yet.
    One can participate in EV discussion without actually currently wanting one.
    As I've said, when EV options are available to meet my needs and budget they'll be considered.
    I certainly don't want a ****ty Nissan van BEV.
    You seem to be getting p1ssy TBH.

I wouldn’t say participating, this might be better description

a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion

Lol

Aren't you the brave chap :cool:

You suggested a POS Nissan van to someone driving an AWD SUV & you reckon I'm trolling ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Lol

You suggested a POS Nissan van to someone driving an AWD SUV & you reckon I'm trolling ?

I thought the masses were generally buying 2WD SUVs at this point. The Niro EV should be right up their alley. Nissan really should put out a Qashqai EV sooner than later.

Lol

Explain to me exactly what the requirement is for AWD?

The title of the thread is vehicles for the masses...

The masses don’t need AWD

G
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Explain to me exactly what the requirement is for AWD?

The title of the thread is vehicles for the masses...

The masses don’t need AWD

someONE isn't the masses.
    I wouldn't play your game but do remember individuals have likes as well as needs. AWD is a nice to have. Especially when loaded down with 500kg+ of a load.

Also you deviated from the thread title to suggest a Nissan van so conceptually you yourself seem somewhat flexible to wander off topic when it suits you, so turning pedant a few posts later doesn't actually make your points/arguments any better than they were initially.

Also The title of the thread is where are the vehicles for the masses and the consensus seems to be that there currently aren't any.....next few years I believe the speel is & we will see an avalanche rather than the present woefully low number of early adopters.....

BTW, my intention isn't to upset you so I do hope my latest points aren't agitating your condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

please dont shoot me down (got shot down in another thread because someone thought I was comparing 2 different countries together and promoting UK .. but I really wasnt , honest!) - but is the UK car tax exempt on EV's and Ireland charge €120+ ?

I was only seeing if I had my facts right and understood it correctly, thats all it was - no hidden agenda.

Car tax in the UK is very small and way, had to tax a BMW I bought there for (from memory) 6months to leave the garage and it was only something like 20pounds. So you're getting a bigger tax reduction here for electric than there, in money terms :)

G

someONE isn't the masses.
    I wouldn't play your game but do remember individuals have likes as well as needs. AWD is a nice to have. Especially when loaded down with 500kg+ of a load.

Also you deviated from the thread title to suggest a Nissan van so conceptually you yourself seem somewhat flexible to wander off topic when it suits you, so turning pedant a few posts later doesn't actually make your points/arguments any better than they were initially.

Also The title of the thread is where are the vehicles for the masses and the consensus seems to be that there currently aren't any.....next few years I believe the speel is & we will see an avalanche rather than the present woefully low number of early adopters.....

BTW, my intention isn't to upset you so I do hope my latest points aren't agitating your condition.

500kg+ in a Sorento :P:P:P:P:P

Better check your maximum load limits.....

please dont shoot me down (got shot down in another thread because someone thought I was comparing 2 different countries together and promoting UK .. but I really wasnt , honest!) - but is the UK car tax exempt on EV's and Ireland charge €120+ ?

I was only seeing if I had my facts right and understood it correctly, thats all it was - no hidden agenda.

UK is free, Ireland is not. But 120 quid is nothing to complain about. The cars are on the road after all so should pay tax.

of course as electric becomes more popular expect that to increase but for the moment I am happy to pay the minimum

Aren't they called crossovers, a lot of people like to call them SUV's but are more CUV's ? Basically tall hatchbacks with sometimes less room than a hatch.

I think Ford cancelled the Mondeo because not many people want HAtch/Saloon.

Aren't they called crossovers, a lot of people like to call them SUV's but are more CUV's ? Basically tall hatchbacks with sometimes less room than a hatch.

The US market has stopped buying cars, they want SUV's but you are correct they are Crossovers. The marketing will call them SUV but when you look into details it says Crossover SUV :P

Qashqui & Tucson etc are indeed crossovers.....poor man's SUV. Iirc young shed' bought one....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A petrol Hyundai Kona price from 21K .... the new Electric version of the Kona priced from 37k EUR

I cannot see where car manufacturers are going with these prices - why are they not making EV's more attractive to buy? - I thought there was a big push on making people go greener and change from fossil fuel to Electric Vehicle owners?

A petrol Hyundai Kona price from 21K .... the new Electric version of the Kona priced from 37k EUR

I cannot see where car manufacturers are going with these prices - why are they not making EV's more attractive to buy? - I thought there was a big push on making people go greener and change from fossil fuel to Electric Vehicle owners?

It will be a long time before battery costs come down to these costs and there are not enough batteries available yet.

+ manufacturers are targeting diesel owners as they are usually more expensive anyway.

Would I pay 37K for a budget brand car ? no chance. If I were looking for a 400 Km range EV then I would have no other choice at the moment but I still would not pay for it.

Depreciation could be scary on the Kona, time will tell , on the other hand 400 Km range car in short supply could hold it's value very well.

Leaf 60 will be available end of year also for some competition.

No doubt a very good ev but 37 K for mid spec budget brand with halogen headlights ? eah, no !

It should be 47k

10k subsidy from government

They are going to take years and years to reach cost parity without that incentive

To replace that petrol engine and fuel tank you need below

64kWh battery/pack/bms €8000
    Motor €700
    Controller €700
    Charge port €500
    Wiring/switches/other etc €600

Over €10,000 gone already just replacing small petrol engine and petrol tank and I am sure i am missing stuff from that list

I don't see how it's possible to make €21,000, 400km EV's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mike9832 wrote: »
    It should be 47k

10k subsidy from government

They are going to take years and years to reach cost parity without that incentive

To replace that petrol engine and fuel tank you need below

64kWh battery/pack/bms €8000
    Motor €700
    Controller €700
    Charge port €500
    Wiring/switches/other etc €600

Over €10,000 gone already just replacing small petrol engine and petrol tank and I am sure i am missing stuff from that list

I don't see how it's possible to make €21,000, 400km EV's

I bet China could :)

Advertisement