Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ul Gems loan repayment

Options
  • 02-01-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

I’m actually getting frustrated at this point with the poor service provided in relation to this. I have been attempting to set up a repayment plan for this since I shortly after I started working 5/6 months ago. It was impossible to get through to anyone for a long time. Then when in contact with the liaison person who handles all of these issues in limerick I’ve been getting nowhere. I know there is interest st an astronomical rate piling up on this loan despite my best efforts to pay. The way to structured seems to purposely lead to huge interest being acrued since instead of a standard repayment plan the loan has to either be paid in a lump sum of over 60k at once or another application made to set up the repayment plan. I have made the application to restructure to make a repayment plan several times only to wait two/three weeks for a reply telling me something needs to be altered. This happened 3/4 times then when I finally go it all sorted I was told I’d hear back shoryly about repayments. That was a good month ago and no word. I don’t want this to negatively impact my credit score or add huge interest to my loan since I’m capable and willing to pay the loan back. I have several friends who got the grad med loan for Ul and are all experiencing difficulty. I have to advise incoming students to not go with bank of Ireland for this loan as everyone who has is ended up losing a lot of money in interest despite best efforts to set up payments. The hours we work makes it impossible to meet someone face to face to discuss this, it can only be handled by the person in Ul in charge of these loans and every attempt to get this sorted has been met with some obstacle. Is there a way to simply set up a repayment plan that’s realistic to what doctors actually
    Make and pay this loan off? I just want it sorted. And I don’t want my credit score impacted through no fault of my own as I’d like to get a mortgage at some point. Sorry for the long post, at this stage I’m just hugely disillusioned and frustrated after 8 years in college and long hours in hospital to see myself falling further into debt despite doing my best to start paying back

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

TGJD wrote: »
    I’m actually getting frustrated at this point with the poor service provided in relation to this. I have been attempting to set up a repayment plan for this since I shortly after I started working 5/6 months ago. It was impossible to get through to anyone for a long time. Then when in contact with the liaison person who handles all of these issues in limerick I’ve been getting nowhere. I know there is interest st an astronomical rate piling up on this loan despite my best efforts to pay. The way to structured seems to purposely lead to huge interest being acrued since instead of a standard repayment plan the loan has to either be paid in a lump sum of over 60k at once or another application made to set up the repayment plan. I have made the application to restructure to make a repayment plan several times only to wait two/three weeks for a reply telling me something needs to be altered. This happened 3/4 times then when I finally go it all sorted I was told I’d hear back shoryly about repayments. That was a good month ago and no word. I don’t want this to negatively impact my credit score or add huge interest to my loan since I’m capable and willing to pay the loan back. I have several friends who got the grad med loan for Ul and are all experiencing difficulty. I have to advise incoming students to not go with bank of Ireland for this loan as everyone who has is ended up losing a lot of money in interest despite best efforts to set up payments. The hours we work makes it impossible to meet someone face to face to discuss this, it can only be handled by the person in Ul in charge of these loans and every attempt to get this sorted has been met with some obstacle. Is there a way to simply set up a repayment plan that’s realistic to what doctors actually
    Make and pay this loan off? I just want it sorted. And I don’t want my credit score impacted through no fault of my own as I’d like to get a mortgage at some point. Sorry for the long post, at this stage I’m just hugely disillusioned and frustrated after 8 years in college and long hours in hospital to see myself falling further into debt despite doing my best to start paying back

Hi TGJD,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us today.

We are very sorry to hear of your frustration and difficulty in setting up a repayment plan for your graduate medical loan. It should not be taking this long to set up. We apologise for the lack of communication you have received on this and we would like to help you today.

Shortly we will send you a Private Message asking for further details, if you could just reply to that when you get a chance we will then follow up on our end.

Many Thanks.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Well I was told the person would be in contact with me shortly. No word a week later. I got an e-mail today from arrears support asking me to call between 9 and 5 to chat about my account being in arrears. It’s in arrears despite me having made the full application for repayment and nothing being done to organise this. This is ridiculous. I’ve made every effort for the past number of months to set up he payment plan. There has been no issue from my end but nothing’s happening from the bank of Ireland end. This is completely unacceptable and I’m just exhausted by this whole thing. The level of stress this has caused me while I’m already trying to adjust to the stress of my first year as a doctor is completely unfair as I have done everything on my end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

TGJD wrote: »
    Well I was told the person would be in contact with me shortly. No word a week later. I got an e-mail today from arrears support asking me to call between 9 and 5 to chat about my account being in arrears. It’s in arrears despite me having made the full application for repayment and nothing being done to organise this. This is ridiculous. I’ve made every effort for the past number of months to set up he payment plan. There has been no issue from my end but nothing’s happening from the bank of Ireland end. This is completely unacceptable and I’m just exhausted by this whole thing. The level of stress this has caused me while I’m already trying to adjust to the stress of my first year as a doctor is completely unfair as I have done everything on my end.

Hi TGJD,

Thank you for coming back to us.

We are very sorry to hear this. Please be assured your original contact was forwarded on to the relevant person with a request to contact you. I am going to go back to the person today to follow up on this and request you are contacted as soon as possible.

Kind Regards.

John

Advertisement