Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No cash from ATM

Options
  • 02-01-2019 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Recently I used the ATM macine in the arrivals hall at Dublin Airport but during the transaction I decided to cancel the transaction by pressing the Cancel option and getting my ATM card back. I waited at the machine until the abandoned transaction completed and then retrieved my card. No cash was dispensed. However, a debit for 250 euros later showed up in my bank statement, which I disputed with the bank. They marked the transaction as disputed and contacted the bank responsible for the Dublin airport ATM. Now the issue has been resolved in favor of the bank and I am out of pocket by 250 Euros. I wonder if this has ever happened to anyone, who may have some tips about what course of action is available to me, if any. I'm sure that there must be, for example, video evidence somewhere of me not getting the cash out.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the bank which operates the ATM says that they gave you €250 then your own bank really has to accept this but if you say that is not the case I'd take it up with the Dublin Airport Authority who are renting the space to that bank.

Did you get any paperwork from the ATM at the time? It's important to get some sort of a receipt any time a financial transaction is cancelled like if there's a problem with the credit card machine at the filling station and the person behind the counter starts tossing pieces of paper in the bin - I always ask for the 'void' receipt just in case I'm billed twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

A similar thing happened to me with a sterling ATM at Dublin airport a few years back, however the issue was resolved in my favor. I attempted to withdraw about 250 sterling from the foreign currency ATM but it went out of service and I didn't get the cash. I moved to the euro ATM beside it and withdrew 300 euro to change for sterling.

Both transactions showed up on my account. I contacted my bank BOI (I think both ATM's were BOI), and the money was refunded within a week. I just assumed they were able to account for money in - money out, and they had an extra 250 sterling cash left over.

Did the bank say that all the cash was reconciled for that particular ATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Who operates the ATM? If it is BoI - post in the Talk to BoI forum and ask what you need to do to escalate this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If it's the Bank of Ireland ATM I would contact the branch at Dublin Airport.

They should have CCTV in the area around the ATM.

https://www.bankofireland.com/branch-locator/dublin-airport

I would also make a formal complaint to your own bank and explain you'll be moving your account bit this isn't resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

Ask your bank to raise the dispute again, tell them you did not get the cash and ask has the machine been balanced also they need to check the receipt roll at the time of transaction to see that you in fact cancelled the transaction. You can keep raising the dispute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement