Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike - help

Options
  • 02-01-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to get a new road bike.
    I don't mind Alu or carbon - although have a historical preference for alu.
    Prefer rim brakes but could be tempted by a nice looking bike with discs (although I do think they are pointless, but lets not go there).
    Electronic or mechnical - don't mind.

What I am struggling with is all the bikes I can see come with a semi compact up front and a dinner plate at the bike (i.e. not a 30)

So what would be my options for a racing geometry, lightweight bike, with a standard chainset?

Budget circa 3-4k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Raam wrote: »
    Budget?

More than 4k would cause eyebrows to raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Bowman Palace:R for e850. 3,150 left for whatever finishing kit you would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tunney wrote: »
    More than 4k would cause eyebrows to raise.

You’ll struggle to find an alloy frame bike for €4K best going for carbon with your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Are you looking for an aero or standard frame?

This one is a cracker imo albeit a 52/36 but a nice in between aero/standard, wheels also included at €3899 ;)

Plenty of options in your price bracket Trek Sl could be picked up also

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0-di2.html

ea0d119561a5776f9f87ddec39e6a.jpg

• Advertisement

You could go for a Ribble and build your own spec.

I’ve not seen reviews for the new range, but the older ones seemed to get good write ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do this sort of window shopping from time to time. The road bike market seems really weird at the moment.

It used to be possible to get that 90% bike for maybe 1.5k, but the sweet spot now seems to be about 2-3k, and then the prices double for not much gain.

Like the difference between a SuperSix and a SuperSix Hi-Mod.

There are loads of frames that look a bit aero without much evidence of drag being measured, there's no real weight weenie stuff any more. It used to be possible to get find a 6.8kg bike quite easily and now they're like hen's teeth. The top of the range Emonda disc manages it, but apparently handles like a turd.

Loads of expensive rim brake bikes with carbon rims, how does that make sense any more?

I think the two bikes I enjoyed owning the most over the last few years were my Scott Addict and Canyon Ultimate AL.

Tunney, you don't fancy taking my repaired 56cm Addict frameset off me do you? Chances of me ever rebuilding it are bog all. You could stick e-tap and some nice wheels on it and have a world class bike. Be nice if someone used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Window shopping is highly dangerous, twice when I was simply window shopping with no intention of buying anything I bought a new bike and the second time a set of €1k carbon wheels!

Advertisement