Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying away from "work"

• 02-01-2019 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    Myself and my partner have mortgage approval but its just not enough to buy a place near our home town (naas).currently renting.
    I've a trade myself (sparks) but have a steady maintenance job in a factory and my partner has an office job (both in Dublin).
    We could move 30mins south but that would be no life I want to live.(hour+ commute 2x day)
    I'm seriously considering moving to the west coast .
    Is it possible to buy a place then move/quit?
    Feel totally stuck here.Cant buy ,cant build etc etc
    Even if we did move 30mins south I'd be looking for other work which I know I can get as I get other work every weekend and calls all the time looking for workers.

any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This might not be an option for you.

There are several posts from other members where banks have declined to provide mortgages for properties outside of reasonable commuting range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭appledrop

Could you give a rough ball park of what you are willing to spend on house. Then people might have some suggestions for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Graham wrote: »
    This might not be an option for you.

There are several posts from other members where banks have declined to provide mortgages for properties outside of reasonable commuting range.

What is considered reasonable commuting range?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Good question, I guess each bank with such a policy has its own definition.

I doubt it would be West coast to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Could you start looking for a job elsewhere now before you buy.

It's not as easy as you think to get work outside of the main cities OP.

I moved from Dublin 4 years ago because I got a redundancy payment so had a few bob behind me but it took me 6 months just to find any kind of job and it took me 3 years to find a job I'm truly happy in.

It was worth it in the long run but a hard slog.

A huge advantage though is that you can commute a fair distance and still be 30-40 minutes from home due to no traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Frilly Knickers

Instead of moving to West coast and looking for new jobs why not take '30 minutes south' and look for new work. Far more prospects for electricians in towns on the Dublin commuter belt than on west coast.

Also, is the extra 30 minutes by car. What is the difference on the train? Naas to Dublin by train isn't 30 minutes longer than, say, Newbridge to Dublin by train. How far from as do you get before you can afford to buy? Monasterevin? Portarlington?

Advertisement