Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a fake chromecast device ?

• 02-01-2019 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

I’m pretty certain it is, well probably 100% certain but just want to double check in case I’m an ejit and chromecast has changed since i last bought a device.
    I was given this device for Christmas and I’m sure the person who bought it for me did so on the understanding it was real. She got it off amazon and wouldn’t have a clue about chromecast or anything like it.
    This device came with Mirascree on it which I’ve never heard of before. My old device had a plug you can put the usb part in to if you don’t have a port on the tv. This one doesn’t despite the box saying it should and finally it has some WiFi extension thing sticking out of the wire .
    The box says chromecast on it but it looks like it’s a knock off to be honest.
    Anyone ever used the mirascreen thing ? Does it actually work?
    I’d rather my plain old chromecast to be honest.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

Amazon don't sell Chromecast. Fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

I’m pretty certain it is, well probably 100% certain but just want to double check in case I’m an ejit and chromecast has changed since i last bought a device.
    I was given this device for Christmas and I’m sure the person who bought it for me did so on the understanding it was real. She got it off amazon and wouldn’t have a clue about chromecast or anything like it.
    This device came with Mirascree on it which I’ve never heard of before. My old device had a plug you can put the usb part in to if you don’t have a port on the tv. This one doesn’t despite the box saying it should and finally it has some WiFi extension thing sticking out of the wire .
    The box says chromecast on it but it looks like it’s a knock off to be honest.
    Anyone ever used the mirascreen thing ? Does it actually work?
    I’d rather my plain old chromecast to be honest.
    Didn't see you said got from amazon, as above they don't sell them. It's an ongoing thing.

If you can find the listing on amazon, contact customer services and flag it to them, they have a responsibility not to sell fakes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's the most blatant one I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

When I was in town during the Christmas break I saw a similar unit being sold at a kiosk for about €30 bucks. I was really surprised considering I bought the original one for around the same price.

Something tells me places are knowingly selling these fake ones, buy them for few bucks from China and sell them at a considerably higher margin to unsuspecting shoppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

fritzelly wrote: »

Amazed somebody actually bought one after reading those wonderful reviews. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Thanks A million guys I was pretty certain but just doubted my own judgement. I told my husband that amazon don’t sell chrome cast but things always change so doubted myself.
    No point in even tryin to use the thing. So annoying!
    Thanks again!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks A million guys I was pretty certain but just doubted my own judgement. I told my husband that amazon don’t sell chrome cast but things always change so doubted myself.
    No point in even tryin to use the thing. So annoying!
    Thanks again!!!!!!

I'd say it was Amazon Marketplace not Amazon. Marketplace is essentially their version of Ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

It is not a Chromecast but it might do a decent job of streaming Netflix, YouTube etc. Did you connect it up anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once upon a time Amazon (themselves) did sell Chromecasts but even if they suddenly decided to flog off any remaining stock, it was only the MkI unit (the awful stick one that couldn't hold a wifi network properly)

I bought mine there, had to replace it with a MkII from Currys soon enough. May 2014, FireTV came out here October 2014 so I assume thats when they dropped it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Google and Amazon have a very chequered recent history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    Once upon a time Amazon (themselves) did sell Chromecasts but even if they suddenly decided to flog off any remaining stock, it was only the MkI unit (the awful stick one that couldn't hold a wifi network properly)

I bought the original Chromecast (Mk I) from Amazon UK and never had a problem, it still works all the time and the wi-fi connection never drops. It was an early model from the US as it came with a US plug and USB cable. Thankfully I don't need the plug as there is a USB port on the front of my amp. which I use to power it.

But I appear to be in a minority as I have a Horizon (Virgin Media) box and never had a problem with the wi-fi.

Advertisement