Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadianising my CV

Options
  • 02-01-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So me and a few friends are planning on going over to vancouver, around May of this year, from my research I've seen a few websites recommend adjusting your CV in line with what the locals do but the websites haven't gone into more detail.

What changes did you have to make to your CV when applying for jobs over there ? for context I've just done hospitality and call centre jobs but my CV is quite good, the last time I was unemployed I was getting 2 interviews a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Id imagine if you have your CV 'Irish style' and go to a few recruiters / agencies they will point you in the right direction. Maybe check out their websites now and they will have some advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    I've seen a few websites recommend adjusting your CV in line with what the locals do but the websites haven't gone into more detail.

What changes did you have to make to your CV when applying for jobs over there ? for context I've just done hospitality and call centre jobs but my CV is quite good, the last time I was unemployed I was getting 2 interviews a week.

It's called a résumé here. They won't know what a CV is so that's the first change to get used to.

If you have no major professional experience only make it 1 page long. It's not a history it's a summary.

Get a Canadian number on it asap.

Don't include hobbies or interest or references. Not needed and they will ask for them if you've been selected.

Make it goal and achievement based, talk yourself up alot but not using 'I did this' rather statements like 'Achieved 100% customer satisfaction', 'Voted best in customer service', 'Worked for xyz inc.'

Unless you're in technology like a software developer don't expect 2 interviews a week. I've heard some people applying for 50,60,70+ jobs and not as little as a rejection email was got in response.

Any more questions just fire away

Advertisement