Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling rental property

• 02-01-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi All,

Welcome any feedback here and thanks in advance.

Summary:
    - tenants in my rental property for almost 6 years
    - current lease due to end in June this year
    - I am selling property, due to be listed for sale in coming days
    - served written notice and stat declaration last month to tenants
    - text received today from tenant to say he's found somewhere else and is leaving at month end
    - told me I could keep deposit to cover remainder of the month and he'll give me keys at month end

RTB sites states a lot of things like tenant having to give written notice, 84 days notice, that they can't give deposit in lieu if rent etc etc.

In summary, and such are the rights of tenants over those of a landlord (in this instance, one with one rental property always let significantly below market rent (say no more!!) and has bent over backwards over the years ..... break out the violins!).....anyway. I'm rambling.......am I wasting my time even trying to "fight" it?

I had assumed that if tenant found somewhere, in a perfect world, they would have to pay up to the end of the 84 day notice period? Also, I know that I'll be seeing some issues in the house other than wear and tear which would have an impact on the deposit I give back.

All in, is it worth hassle of going RTB route and trying to get from the tenant what I believe I'm owed?

Thanks to anyone who read. Any details lacking, I'll gladly fill them in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Honestly be glad he leaves and doesn't over hold or wreck the place. Seriously reading the horror stories here be happy if that scenario plays out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Honestly be glad he leaves and doesn't over hold or wreck the place. Seriously reading the horror stories here be happy if that scenario plays out!

This!
    Sell the gaff and Jog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I would be glad their leaving now tbh. Much safer to have them out now than worry if they will cause trouble for you. You have a few options

1. Sell end of jan-march as its usually the best time to sell anyway. Going into summer is a terrible time to sell. With brexit uncertainty this year. Its hard to say until thats confirmed.

2. Do airbnb for a few months if you can.

3. Let to a friend on a discount to cover the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Thanks all. Thought as much and thanks for input. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

- text received today from tenant to say he's found somewhere else and is leaving at month end
    - told me I could keep deposit to cover remainder of the month and he'll give me keys at month end
    Tell them that if they do move out early, and the place is clean, you'll refund their deposit. Seriously. Look at another thread on this forum, about Tenants overholding for 6 months enforcement of determination order, and thank your lucky stars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement