Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sell rental property now or in a year

• 02-01-2019 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I have a rental property that I intended to sell next year, when my daughter goes to UK for college - I intended to move back to the UK with her. All the forthcoming tenancy legislation is scaring me, and I was going to try and sell the house this year, and just try and by in the UK maybe in September next - a year earlier than planned. Does anyone think this is a mad/sensible idea. There is no mortgage on the rental property. It might be a struggle to recoup all we have spent on the property over the years. The retnal income, despite the tax, is used for extras for the family. The tenants are good so far. The house is managed by an agent. Worried though that in time, I might not be able to sell the property at all, or in another year if I don't give notice and sell now. Advice/opinions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Give the official notice now that you are selling next year. Then you are covered if / when new laws on selling are enacted because afaik new laws cannot be applied retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

The best you can expect in the next year or so is 5% appreciation so weigh that up. If I was in the position where I wasn't in negative equity I'd sell now before evictions are banned altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Should I give standard notice of 56 days - 2 years of tenancy, or state in the termiation notice that I am giving them 8/10 months notice, bringing the tenancy up to next autumn, and then sell in early 2019. Is it possible to do this? What happens if I can't get near the asking price for the house, and can't enter into an enforceable contract within 3 monts as per notice of termination - wil I be penalised for this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

BBFAN wrote: »
    The best you can expect in the next year or so is 5% appreciation so weigh that up. If I was in the position where I wasn't in negative equity I'd sell now before evictions are banned altogether.

It's probably wise not to state either scenario as fact.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Honestly- I'd give a little over the statutory minimum notice- say 90 days- to be as accommodating as possible to the tenants without hamstringing yourself. I'd proceed to sell immediately- I don't see any particular merit in postponing selling- unless you have other motives for holding onto the property (aka for children or college reasons etc etc). In the current regulatory regimen- there is no reason to remain in the sector longer than is absolutely necessary- however, at the same time, if the tenants have been decent, I would go out of my way to try and show them as much leeway as possible to reciprocate (and if they manage to find somewhere else in less time than expected- I'd do my utmost to help them move etc).

In short- no point in hanging around in the sector- but try to exit as gracefully as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'd sell asap and advise anyone in the same position as you to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Or you could offer to sell to the tenants first, see if they're interested in buying it. Speak to them about your situation out of courtesy as there are a lot of landlords saying they are selling it just to get people out to raise the rent for the next set of tenants. If the tenants have the means to meet your valuation and would be interested in doing so it would be a win for you both. They get a home that they know and is their own, and you get to sell without the involvement of 3rd parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Whatever you do put it on the market and let the current tenants bid against anyone else who wants it, or you wont get market value, which may be significantly more than you think it is.

Aside, Almost every property investor I know of now plans to sell up or otherwise get out of the property rental game as soon as their current tenants have left or their current part 4 is up. A lot aren't even waiting and are giving notice that they are selling already.

Rental is just dead for landlords unless you are a Reit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Try sell now, brexit is coming , youll get peak profit now and have all the money to sit and watch the uk depreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I'd sell asap and advise anyone in the same position as you to do the same.
    why so ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement