Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms/Leisure Centre Promotions for New Year in Cork City?

Options
  • 03-01-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

January has traditionally been that time of year where you'll see "Get Fit, Stay Fit" or "New Year, New You" type promotions held in areas like Gyms/Leisure/Fitness Centres etc;

Not sure if anyone has taken over the former "Source Health & Fitness" complex that was based at Silversprings down near Tivoli? I wonder if it has any future as a leisure complex again following it's sudden closure last Summer. The Clayton Silversprings Hotel must receive enquiries from some of it's customers in relation to gym access. Anyone know more?

I'm a bit surprised that Ben Dunne Gyms has not opened any full service facilities to date in Cork.

Does anyone know of some attractive Joining Offers in Gyms/Leisure/Fitness Centres in the Cork City region?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Leisureworld in Bishopstown had a decent looking offer when I was in there over Xmas.
    Realy good setup too, though the Cardio Room could do with an open window and some Febreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

razorblunt wrote: »
    Leisureworld in Bishopstown had a decent looking offer when I was in there over Xmas.
    Realy good setup too, though the Cardio Room could do with an open window and some Febreeze.

I've just checked out the Christmas/New Year's Offers for Leisureworld Bishopstown which may be viewed via the below web link:

https://www.leisureworldcork.com/christmas-new-year-specials/

I have used Leisureworld Bishopstown facility in recent years although; it was before the renovations that were carried out to be fair. That said, all prices at Leisureworld Bishopstown were increased significantly following the refurbishment and the latest "special offer rates" valid until 31st January are expensive enough - even after the discounts are applied. I am also starting a new job east of the city so; it won't suit me getting to/from Leisureworld's Bishopstown campus on weekdays with busy traffic commute and if I was taking out gym membership it would be for more than just three months!

If a single adult opted for 12 months membership it would cost 500.00EUR which is a lot unless you are spending a lot of free time over the 12 months!

I am sure you can get better value in Cork and I think that the Metropole Hotel's "Leeside Leisure Centre" has more competitive rates as Single Adult peak membership is only 299.00EUR for 12 months! Only thing is that you DO NOT have any access to free car parking facilities if you opted for Metropole's Leeside Leisure Centre although; it would ideally suit someone living or working within the city centre as it has an extensive range of features as referenced below:

Features include:
    • 20 metre swimming pool (0.90m - 1.3m depth )
    • Swimmers’ Lane
    • Water Curtain
    • Jacuzzi
    • Steam Room
    • Sauna

1st Floor Facilities:
    • Fitness Suite
    • Aerobic Studio
    • Cardiovascular & Aerobic Equipment (19 separate machines)
    • Weight and free weight resistance equipment

Not sure of the current membership fees charged at "Motion Leisure Centre" at the nearby Montenotte Hotel. They have car park but had also increased their membership rates by quite a bit following their last renovations in 2016. Not sure if they have any special reduced membership rates for New Year. If the Montenotte Hotel Leisure Centre came down towards €299.00 for 12 Months peak I would give it serious consideration as it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Just fit gym Blackpool.
    Very good gym and cheap enough.

Just fit gym Blackpool.
    Very good gym and cheap enough.

I've just browsed Just Fit Gym in Blackpool, Cork and it seems to be mainly focused on weights although; if I was joining a leisure fitness centre I would like choice of things from cardio machines, weights, spinning, physical exercises, in addition to chilling out & relaxing after work out at swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi/whirlpool.

http://justfitireland.com/prices/

12 months membership at Just Fit Blackpool 449.00EUR (one-off payment)
    Vs
    12 month membership at Leeside Leisure Centre @The Metropole Hotel 299.00EUR which has not just weights but also cardio machines, pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi. Price is for Peak Membership X 12 Months is 299.00EUR for the whole year which is alot cheaper. Only negative is if you are not living or working in the city centre and need to drive and park a car it could be a pain at times as finding parking & paying fees needs to be factored into your budget especially if you plan on using it during certain hours.

https://www.themetropolehotel.ie/leisure.html

https://www.themetropolehotel.ie/membership-options.html

https://www.themetropolehotel.ie/gym-pool-special-offers-cork.html

Anyone know of other Leisure Centres in Cork City region providing Gym & Pool/Sauna/Steam room/Jacuzzi and allow gym members free parking with single adult membership fee as competitive as Leeside Leisure Centre @ The Metropole Hotel?
    If yes, please indicate gym name & location and membership period including rates...
    Also, any special New Year / January Promotions worth looking at?

Hot off the press:

Cork gym which closed with debts worth €660,000 to reopen under new ownership

Former "Source Health & Fitness" facility in Tivoli which closed last July is now set to re-open in/around April after it was bought before Christmas. The popular leisure centre will be under new management and will have major refurbishment works carried out in addition to new equipment which is also set to be installed.

Rates at the facility once re-opened will not be a million miles to what they were however; it will NOT be a "budget" gym!
    Former members of Source will have an opportunity of viewing the facility and sign-up at a discounted rate before it officially re-opens.

See more on this announcement below here:
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/nationalnews/Cork-gym-which-closed-with-debts-worth-660000-to-reopen-under-new-ownership-886411f6-2ada-4dfc-a854-be6d5e63c05b-ds

• Advertisement
Advertisement