Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mattress guarantee vs warranty

Options
  • 03-01-2019 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, hope this is the right place to post this. I bought a king koil mattress from harvey norman 3 years ago which supposedly had a 10 year guarantee. The mattress is now sagging so much that it is giving us back problems. Called to the shop and the sales advisor gave us the care assist line details and we contacted them. They advised us that the mattress has a 2 year guarantee and then an 8 year warranty. Once the guarantee time is up then the warranty only covers us for some money towards buying a different mattress. Excuse my ignorance for asking this here but I can't find what the difference between guarantee and warranty is and decided to ask you before I go back to them. I'm.also wondering has anyone had any issues with anything like this before?
    (The mattress is now so bad that a 1 year old baby sinks down into a large dent if he is put on the bed)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The warranty policy for King Koil is here

Seems like what HN are saying is correct, now whether that would stand up in a small claims case is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Daly_Star wrote: »
    Hi, hope this is the right place to post this. I bought a king koil mattress from harvey norman 3 years ago which supposedly had a 10 year guarantee. The mattress is now sagging so much that it is giving us back problems. Called to the shop and the sales advisor gave us the care assist line details and we contacted them. They advised us that the mattress has a 2 year guarantee and then an 8 year warranty. Once the guarantee time is up then the warranty only covers us for some money towards buying a different mattress. Excuse my ignorance for asking this here but I can't find what the difference between guarantee and warranty is and decided to ask you before I go back to them. I'm.also wondering has anyone had any issues with anything like this before?
    (The mattress is now so bad that a 1 year old baby sinks down into a large dent if he is put on the bed)
    Thanks.

You need to ask them for a copy of the warranty. Its a guarantee with provisions, but what exactly it is that they guarantee will be set out, eg after year 2 - 50%, year 3 - 45% etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daly_Star

Seems like what HN are saying is correct, now whether that would stand up in a small claims case is another matter.[/quote]

Thank you for that, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daly_Star

Hoboo wrote: »
    You need to ask them for a copy of the warranty. Its a guarantee with provisions, but what exactly it is that they guarantee will be set out, eg after year 2 - 50%, year 3 - 45% etc.

That's great, thank you. I'll get onto them tomorrow to try get that.

Daly_Star wrote: »
    That's great, thank you. I'll get onto them tomorrow to try get that.

It's there in the post above.

After 2 years guarantee period......

If service is required during subsequent years up to a maximum of 8 years, any repair or replacement
    will be made, at King Koil’s discretion, at a charge of 1/10th of the current price multiplied by the
    number of years the product has been owned (sliding scale).

So if the current price is €1000 it will cost you €300 for a replacement. 1000/10 * 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I bought a king koil mattress from Harvey Norman just over three years ago and we are having a similar issue. It's a king size mattress and was over €1200. The mattress is sagging so bad on one side that it hurts my back to sleep on it. It's not just the usual wear and tear you would expect. It looks like the structural integrity of the mattress is gone.

I was just about to get on to them myself about it. I'm not too happy if all they are offering is a new mattress at a discounted rate. What's the point of giving them 3-400 if the new mattress is of similar quality?

Cazale wrote: »
    I bought a king koil mattress from Harvey Norman just over three years ago and we are having a similar issue. It's a king size mattress and was over €1200. The mattress is sagging so bad on one side that it hurts my back to sleep on it. It's not just the usual wear and tear you would expect. It looks like the structural integrity of the mattress is gone.

I was just about to get on to them myself about it. I'm not too happy if all they are offering is a new mattress at a discounted rate. What's the point of giving them 3-400 if the new mattress is of similar quality?

None. They're just giving you a 2 year guarantee, after that it's considered wear and tear. Pretty sh1te if you ask me.

Advertisement