Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours tv

• 03-01-2019 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

So we bought a semi d house in November and the house attached to us is a couple in their 50’s maybe 60’s and they seem to have their tv against our wall.
    They listen to it on what seems like full volume most evenings, it starts around 10pm and goes on until 2/3am
    Once they start we can’t hear our tv because we keep hearing theirs.
    If we go to bed it’s as bad in our bedroom (I suspect they have the tv mounted on their chimney breast) and we can’t sleep.
    I tried sleeping in a back bedroom last weekend and could still hear it.
    I’m going to have to knock in. They don’t seem very friendly (they haven’t introduced themselves to us and would barely say hi if we see them outside).
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

shelly24 wrote: »
    So we bought a semi d house in November and the house attached to us is a couple in their 50’s maybe 60’s and they seem to have their tv against our wall.
    They listen to it on what seems like full volume most evenings, it starts around 10pm and goes on until 2/3am
    Once they start we can’t hear our tv because we keep hearing theirs.
    If we go to bed it’s as bad in our bedroom (I suspect they have the tv mounted on their chimney breast) and we can’t sleep.
    I tried sleeping in a back bedroom last weekend and could still hear it.
    I’m going to have to knock in. They don’t seem very friendly (they haven’t introduced themselves to us and would barely say hi if we see them outside).
    Any advice?

They might be hard of hearing but in denial. If so.what is loud to you would be normal level to them. Could they place it on the other side of the room ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I guess you've no choice but to call in and ask them. But I'd recommend getting to know them a little first. I don't think it would be a good thing for your relationship with them if your first proper interaction with them is a complaint. I had to complain to my neighbour about her dog barking when I first moved in to my house but I did it after a few weeks and after I had had a few chats with her. And when it came to it, I also phrased it very much from the point of view of asking her to do me a favour rather than complaining as such. She took it very well, thankfully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

shelly24 wrote: »

Any advice?

Have you called into them? Works both ways. They may think you are not very friendly and may not know there is an issue.

One of the draw backs of a semi-d will be noise. My sisters had to soundproof her party wall and could still hear next door. Some times you may just have to live with it.

soundproof your party wall and dont forget the attic.

i have similar issues only slamming instead of tv.

i am in the process of soundproofing and looking for any weak spots. you lose a few inches but the peace will be worth it.

i am not finished with soundproofing my place, but taking to builders and going to the shops, rockwool and soundbloc plasterboard will make a masive difference.

big financial spend but cheap in the long term if its your forever home.

i for one know the stress you must be going through with sleep interuption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

soundproof your party wall and dont forget the attic.

i have similar issues only slamming instead of tv.

i am in the process of soundproofing and looking for any weak spots. you lose a few inches but the peace will be worth it.

i am not finished with soundproofing my place, but taking to builders and going to the shops, rockwool and soundbloc plasterboard will make a masive difference.

big financial spend but cheap in the long term if its your forever home.

i for one know the stress you must be going through with sleep interuption

That's a substantial massive outlay compared to calling round and asking them politely to turn down the volume.

• Advertisement
Advertisement