Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

SPY potentially a day or so away from all time highs, hard to believe given the uncertainty in the world economies / relationships right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

AVEO looked like a classic pump and dump. Fake buyout rumour article, positive clinical news and now a share offering and tanking after hours. Hope ye took the big gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Independent News and Media received a take over approach...it's being reported online but sp has not changed whatsoever...why would this be? I'd pile in but I always thought that when news is made public it's too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Independent News and Media received a take over approach...it's being reported online but sp has not changed whatsoever...why would this be? I'd pile in but I always thought that when news is made public it's too late?

It's up 23% - piling in still requires bravery imo but time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I took a chance on a load at 0.07 ages ago. Didn't think I'd ever make it back but had an order to sell them all at 0.09. Set that up a few months ago.

They all went today. Maybe should have hung on or aimed higher but they were stinking up my portfolio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Where are you seeing the price, Degiro? Doesn't really update for penny stocks like this with poor liquidity.

See a more up to date price here:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/INM:ID

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Wheety wrote: »
    Where are you seeing the price, Degiro? Doesn't really update for penny stocks like this with poor liquidity.

See a more up to date price here:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/INM:ID

Correct. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Looking for advice on covered calls, if you have shares oof ABC at 50dollars and agree to sell at 53dollars, you get the premium for that and if the sell at 53 or above you also get the 3doller difference per share. If the price falls to 47dollars you get the premium and thhe option to buy is not taken up so you keep the shares of ABC, is that correct?

Looking for advice on covered calls. If i have shares in ABC at 50dollars and agree to sell at 53 dollars. If the price rises above 53 the shars will be sold and i receive the premium and share price of 53dollars per share, if the share price drops below 50dollars the option to buy is not taken up and i get the premium and hold onto the shares, is that correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    It's up 23% - piling in still requires bravery imo but time will tell

Indeed, as INM is a complete basket case in an industry that's dying.

All they have going for them is about €30million cash in the bank. Market cap is less than €100million, valuing the business at very little..

Any indication as to what the offer price was ? There's 1.387 Billion shares in circulation soo easy to calculate if its good value or not ?

For example €0.09 per share would value the comapny at €124m, a 24% premium over yesterdays SP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Looking for advice on covered calls. If i have shares in ABC at 50dollars and agree to sell at 53 dollars. If the price rises above 53 the shars will be sold and i receive the premium and share price of 53dollars per share, if the share price drops below 50dollars the option to buy is not taken up and i get the premium and hold onto the shares, is that correct.

Yes that's correct, the risk is that if ABC goes to 60 dollars, you've agreed to sell them for 53, so you've gotten a profit of 3dollars plus the premium but you've left 7dollars behind

@StockTwat29, Thanks for that, seems to me if you do plan to sell and the price is reached its a win win, only down side is if they fall signifintly you have to hole until they regain, but if you dont mind holding on its a win again. Would i be correct in saying that or am i missing someyhing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

bcklschaps wrote: »

All they have going for them is about €30million cash in the bank. Market cap is less than €100million, valuing the business at very little..

Any indication as to what the offer price was ? There's 1.387 Billion shares in circulation soo easy to calculate if its good value or not ?

For example €0.09 per share would value the comapny at €124m, a 24% premium over yesterdays SP.

There appears to be a few internal struggles going on at the top of INM.... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/denis-v-goliath-o-brien-s-battle-against-alleged-reputational-damage-1.3451961%3fmode=amp so I wouldn't be surprised if it were an internal power move. Not for any monetary gain..... just to be in charge to pi55 off someone else.

@StockTwat29, Thanks for that, seems to me if you do plan to sell and the price is reached its a win win, only down side is if they fall signifintly you have to hole until they regain, but if you dont mind holding on its a win again. Would i be correct in saying that or am i missing someyhing.

Ya if you're happy to sell at 53 then you shouldn't be overly bothered about it if it goes to 55. And it if does fall below 50 at least you get to keep the premium to offset some of the loss

@StockTwat29, Thanks for that, Is there anywhere that teaches all this, i know the internet is a great thing but would love to take a class in all this stuff, is it work my while in doing this? Also i have a basic account with degiro, f i change levels on this will i be able to do covered calls, or is there better account to do this type of trade, degiro is great for buying/selling shares not sure about covered calls as i only have a basic account, any advice on the above. Cheers.

Investopedia is a good place to start.

I've a trader account with degiro but there's not many shares to do options with, they're mostly european, don't know where would be the best place to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Why can't we have Robinhood

@StockTwat29Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

bcklschaps wrote: »

True, INM needs to make some strategic moves to grow their online business but it is far from a basket case. It had €24m pre-tax profits for FY18 and €81m cash at year-end. With ~€100m valuation I suspect any bidder will need to pay 15c+/share to persuade Dermot Desmond, Larry Goodman and Denis O'Brien to part with their shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kilboor wrote: »
    Why can't we have Robinhood

Unlikely in the near future. Revolut said last summer that they would add share trading "soon" but thats nearly a year ago now. Then there is https://www.ninetynine.com/ , also "coming soon" since ages and finally "https://freetrade.io/" which is UK only for now but has plans for European expansion.

I have the feeling we will go from none to many in the next few years, frustrating now but fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Unlikely in the near future. Revolut said last summer that they would add share trading "soon" but thats nearly a year ago now. Then there is https://www.ninetynine.com/ , also "coming soon" since ages and finally "https://freetrade.io/" which is UK only for now but has plans for European expansion.

I have the feeling we will go from none to many in the next few years, frustrating now but fingers crossed it will be sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the reply. I get so jealous looking at the functionality of Robinhood and the likes.

I'll keep an eye on all of these, hopefully with further EU initiatives like PSD2 these can become an easier reality, market flooding can be a dangerous thing but like fintech I can see one becoming dominant such as Revolut in its current space.

Quick question. For american stocks, American tax only applies to dividends right and this rate is 15% for treaty agreement countries like Ireland? Otherwise there's no tax on sale of stocks (in US) due to the agreement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Quick question. For american stocks, American tax only applies to dividends right and this rate is 15% for treaty agreement countries like Ireland? Otherwise there's no tax on sale of stocks (in US) due to the agreement ?

Correct, for dividends 15% will be withheld for American taxes. (if you fill out the W-8BEN form, otherwise it's 30%).
    You will still have to pay Irish tax on these dividends (at standard or higher rate depending on your level of income overall), but you receive a credit for the 15% already deducted for American taxes.

For capital gains, you are not subject to US capital gains tax as you are likely a non-resident alien under the US tax code.
    You are still subject to Irish capital gains tax on the sales of US shares. Irish CGT is chargeable on your worldwide capital gains income.

TG860 wrote: »
    Correct, for dividends 15% will be withheld for American taxes. (if you fill out the W-8BEN form, otherwise it's 30%).
    You will still have to pay Irish tax on these dividends (at standard or higher rate depending on your level of income overall), but you receive a credit for the 15% already deducted for American taxes.

For capital gains, you are not subject to US capital gains tax as you are likely a non-resident alien under the US tax code.
    You are still subject to Irish capital gains tax on the sales of US shares. Irish CGT is chargeable on your worldwide capital gains income.

Thank you! That clears it all up, still makes me sick the Irish 33% but sure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Thank you! That clears it all up, still makes me sick the Irish 33% but sure :P

tell me about it - for me have already paid 52% of wrk shares when they vest which is fair enough but now paying 33% on the gain over the year :mad: I know lucky to be in situation but still gawling to have to pay that much on the gain - few hundred $ is a lot to me to finally get on property ladder and just thought some of it will be going on stamp duty … vicious circle ! its true though - middle earner in this country gets all the hits !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The way things are going with HIVE, it won't be long until I'm only -50% Down !!!

championc wrote: »
    The way things are going with HIVE, it won't be long until I'm only -50% Down !!!

Some day today!

Lucky I got rid of Boeing shares last week.

Can someone give me a quick summary of HIVE, its a blockchain infrastructure company?

• Advertisement

Can someone give me a quick summary of HIVE, its a blockchain infrastructure company?

They're a crypto mining company. They own processor farms where they do nothing but mine crypto.

They have nearly identical days to crypto in terms of gains and losses. Listed on TSX and Borse.

Advertisement