Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whatever76 wrote: »
    tell me about it - for me have already paid 52% of wrk shares when they vest which is fair enough but now paying 33% on the gain over the year :mad: I know lucky to be in situation but still gawling to have to pay that much on the gain - few hundred $ is a lot to me to finally get on property ladder and just thought some of it will be going on stamp duty … vicious circle ! its true though - middle earner in this country gets all the hits !

33% CGT on Shares Sales profit, am I wrong in thinking that USC has to be added on to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

33% CGT on Shares Sales profit, am I wrong in thinking that USC has to be added on to this.

yep no USC needs to be added … they are taking enough !!!

Found this that will help ...

The gain subject to CGT is calculated as the difference between the price you sell them for less the market value of the shares when they were exercised. The rate of CGT is 33%. There's also an annual CGT exemption of €1,270.

Here's an example. Your employer grants you 1000 share options which vest in 3 years. For simplicity let's say there's no exercise price, i.e. you just get them after 3 years. Once vested, you immediately exercise them when the market value is €1 per share. You are charged to tax at source on the €1000 value of the shares. A couple of years later you decide to sell the shares when they are worth €5 per share (i.e. €5,000). The gain is €4,000 (5,000-1,000). You then subtract the annual exemption of €1,270, leaving a taxable gain of €2,730. Multiply by 33% leaves you a tax liability of €901.

Payment and filing dates are different. If sold between 1 January-30 November 2018, the liability is due to be paid to Revenue by 15 December 2018 at the latest. If sold in December 2018, the liability is due to be paid by 31 January 2019 at the latest. This can be paid through the Revenue website. The filing of the details relating to the disposal can be included in your self-assessment return next year (a separate CGT return is only needed for people who don't currently file a tax return).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Hi Whatever76

I appreciate your speedy response. I will copy and save this. I haven't sold shares since it was 20% CGT and there was no horrid USC back then.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Thoughts on Microsoft? Hadn't looked at them in a month and they've gone up $10, up $30 this year so far and over the past 3-5 years they've steadily grown. Would folks expect them to continue to grow or has the boat been missed here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

D'Agger wrote: »
    Thoughts on Microsoft? Hadn't looked at them in a month and they've gone up $10, up $30 this year so far and over the past 3-5 years they've steadily grown. Would folks expect them to continue to grow or has the boat been missed here?

I can't quite say why I haven't jumped on this. Have been following it since 50 dollars and hoped it would come back a bit. As solid as you can get. I always think I've missed the boat and then it jumps a few more dollars..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

D'Agger wrote: »

I sold out at 120 2 weeks back as was thinking they hover around that price now for a bit and needed the money so was happy with the price as made good gains … wasn't expecting the Q3 earnings to be as good as they were … so within 2 weeks up 10$ - I cried and for pure greed reasons.

Hard to predict where they will go to next but the Cloud business is doing really well for them - no harm holding off till the Q4 results in July and judge then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Think I'll hold off on it given it's shot up in the last day, hopefully will dip at some point over a day/few days and I'll look to invest then in a few shares. Does DeGiro have a way of alerting on apps or any way to alert on stocks when they hit certain levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Where will Tesla end up at the close tonight. Could be absolute carnage if they keep dropping....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Carnage is right !

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Was short on TSLA and covered for $7.01, left a lot on the table, can’t complain though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Personally I've chased/averaged it down enough. Even last week I was looking at 2,20 and thinking maybe - now it's at 2.14!
    I do think it will turnaround and it's a game of patience. Sales of Coptiktra are still slow if message boards are to be believed but they have other combined treatments being trialled and licences in Japan and China.

Thinking about buying about 500 of these and hold for the long term (5 years Plus) does anyone have any good articles or links to do a bit of research on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Irishder wrote: »
    Thinking about buying about 500 of these and hold for the long term (5 years Plus) does anyone have any good articles or links to do a bit of research on?

This was on Seeking Alpha just Friday
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4257144-verastem-speculative-buy

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Abroad ATM, but what's the story with Micro Focus shares converting from International to regular? Had mine sold (as international) didn't hear any reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Sirius minerals - UK mining project. Today they've announced stage 2 financing which in their words will 'fully fund the Project to the point at which it generates positive operating cash flows'

There are sales agreements for polyhalite fertilizer with some major players in world agriculture and with the risk of not securing finance removed the project will continue full steam ahead to production.

Shares are down today as part of the finance means dilution but I'd say it's in or around as low as it will go and there should be a steady climb over the next couple of years as it completes the project and moves into production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭littlevillage

kaymin wrote: »
    True, INM needs to make some strategic moves to grow their online business but it is far from a basket case. It had €24m pre-tax profits for FY18 and €81m cash at year-end. With ~€100m valuation I suspect any bidder will need to pay 15c+/share to persuade Dermot Desmond, Larry Goodman and Denis O'Brien to part with their shares.

10.5c per share.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/mediahuis-to-buy-independent-news-media-for-145-6m-1.3876014?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fmedia-and-marketing%2Fmediahuis-to-buy-independent-news-media-for-145-6m-1.3876014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭kaymin

Very disappointing offer price all things considered. Would be good if another bidder came out of the woodwork but I somehow doubt it. The entire board held only 288k shares so their interests aren't very aligned with shareholders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

O'Brien and Desmond own 45% of the company between them so it's pretty much a done deal, I would imagine the chance of another bidder emerging is almost non-existent. If I was a shareholder I think I'd be happy to be out of there with a few shillings in my pocket. I presume the multiple investigations will continue, although the principals are being further removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭kaymin

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    O'Brien and Desmond own 45% of the company between them so it's pretty much a done deal, I would imagine the chance of another bidder emerging is almost non-existent. If I was a shareholder I think I'd be happy to be out of there with a few shillings in my pocket. I presume the multiple investigations will continue, although the principals are being further removed.

Profit is profit but I still think it's being sold for a song. The board could have bought back shares or started paying dividends if they were really acting in shareholders interests and interested in boosting the share price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

kaymin wrote: »
    Profit is profit but I still think it's being sold for a song. The board could have bought back shares or started paying dividends if they were really acting in shareholders interests and interested in boosting the share price.

Heard on the radio that over the years o brien put in about 500 million , and he's getting out with 50 ! So maybe newspapers ain't the way forward any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why was the iseq closed today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

In observance of Labour Day. I guess it comes down to the ISE being owned by Euronext since 2018 (based in Amsterdam).
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Why was the iseq closed today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We missed beyond burger yesterday still look like it's good for 10% today after a bad start to the morning https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/bynd
    I'll be keeping my eyes open for the impossible foods IPO after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

How do these IPO's work? It seems like very easy money surely...

You just buy X amount of shares as fast as you can once the market opens on day 1. Is there more to it?

They can go either way but yea that's pretty much it. Don't be greedy is the key. In and out quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭barry181091

They can go either way but yea that's pretty much it. Don't be greedy is the key. In and out quickly.

Interesting.

Is there a specific platform you have to be with to get them quick? I have an ETRADE account through my company and it seems to list them.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems I cannot trade with this account as they have gotten out of the foreign (Outside US) market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

VSTM heading for under $2.. maybhave to revisit at that price

Interesting.

Is there a specific platform you have to be with to get them quick? I have an ETRADE account through my company and it seems to list them.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems I cannot trade with this account as they have gotten out of the foreign (Outside US) market.

Most of us use Degiro here, ticker for beyond I'd BYND, up 5% since I posted earlier. Probably settle in a range in the next few days, nothing to really drive it higher from what I can see. It seems overvalued if anything as there's a bit of competition in this space especially from impossible who are due to launch a steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭littlevillage

retalivity wrote: »
    VSTM heading for under $2.. maybhave to revisit at that price

What are peoples thoughts on VSTM ? Its really stinking up my portfolio at this point. I have doubled down a couple of times to reduce my BEP over the last few Months but just keeps falling.

I am loath to invest any more ...in case it just disappears into the wilderness entirely like RGSE and I lose everything :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭redlead

What are peoples thoughts on VSTM ? Its really stinking up my portfolio at this point. I have doubled down a couple of times to reduce my BEP over the last few Months but just keeps falling.

I am loath to invest any more ...in case it just disappears into the wilderness entirely like RGSE and I lose everything :eek:

I wouldn't be putting on anymore. The Q1 results are being announced on Thursday and my fear is the markets already know sales aren't great. I bought in last week so am relatively flat in it but it went against all my principles. I just don't rate their prospects. I'll probably just leave them them for a few years and see how it pans out because its only a small holding anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Be aware of the dangers of jumping on an IPO, LYFT is a good example to take note of. UBER is up for IPO this week, 9th May. UBER have dropped their valuation after the LYFT debacle in the hopes of avoiding the same fate.
    LYFT - Lost $0.9 billion in 2018
    UBER - Lost $1.8 billion in 2018

How do these IPO's work? It seems like very easy money surely...

You just buy X amount of shares as fast as you can once the market opens on day 1. Is there more to it?

Advertisement