Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Beyond Meat still going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

VSTM gonna open around $1.50 tomorrow after awful results

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

retalivity wrote: »

its even worse, $1.33 at the moment :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Dodged a bullet here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

That was close !

• Advertisement

That was close !

Now is the perfect time to keep an eye on it tbh..... I'll take a look at this report later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Decided to get in on Uber at $43.90. Let's see how it goes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Decided to get in on Uber at $43.90. Let's see how it goes.

This is a company who:
    - Has failed to publish adequate financial data on it's website other than references to SEC fillings
    - Despite a huge turnover it has failed to produce a signal years profit
    - Growth financed by borrowings and cash injections
    - Who's market is limited to a few major cities per country at best and who appears to have reached saturation point based on recent growth figures
    - Who according to their own comments have penetrated 25% into the Eats market without a profit...

Who exactly is such company going to finance further growth? A further cash injection that will dilute your holdings?

Where exactly to you see value worth $43.90 in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Jim2007 wrote: »
    This is a company who:
    - Has failed to publish adequate financial data on it's website other than references to SEC fillings
    - Who's market is limited to a few major cities per country at best and who appears to have reached saturation point based on recent growth figures
    - Who according to their own comments have penetrated 25% into the Eats market without a profit...

Who exactly is such company going to finance further growth? A further cash injection that will dilute your holdings?

and don't forget the early stage Private Equity investors rushing for the exit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Jim2007 wrote: »
    This is a company who:

Did I say it's a dead cert? I'm well aware I'm speculating with my money when I buy Uber stock.

It's still on a massive growth journey and is dealing with the inevitable problems that come with transitioning to a more mature, (eventually) profitable company. It's a company consistently looking towards the future to an extent almost to its own detriment.

They've invested heavily in AI (sure, who hasn't) and high margin businesses like Eats and Uber Freight are performing well for them, I'm prepared to give it time.

Spotify did nothing but haemorrhage money until earlier this year but if you timed it right, you could have made a good few quid from selling their stock (it's priced below what it first listed at now so that ship has sailed).

Well aware that the $43.90 I paid may turn out to be poor value, happy to take the risk though.

• Advertisement

I think you'll see a 10% gain soon and if you do I'd probably be taking it. Worth a punt, have a feeling may not have been the best time to IPO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The sales are very poor - outlook of $10-12M for the year.
    They are still confident of 200-300M sales. They may well be right but what are the cost of these sales? From 31st of Dec to 31st of March the cash dropped by $38M. Keep doing that for 3/4 quarters and they'll need to raise more.

"Selling, general and administrative expense for the first quarter 2019 was $26 million compared to $9.8 million for the first quarter 2018. The increase of $16.2 million or 165% between these 2 periods was primarily due to higher personnel and related costs as well as promotional and consulting costs in support of the commercial launch of COPIKTRA"

All of that for $1.7M in net revenue.

A pretty picture it does not paint.

It's still on a massive growth journey and is dealing with the inevitable problems that come with transitioning to a more mature, (eventually) profitable company. It's a company consistently looking towards the future to an extent almost to its own detriment.

They grew 2% in the last quarter, where is the growth going to come from. What exactly has to happen to turn their massive turnover figure into profits? Why is it loosing money?
    They've invested heavily in AI (sure, who hasn't) and high margin businesses like Eats and Uber Freight are performing well for them, I'm prepared to give it time.

But where are they going to get the finance from to do this???? And they are all ready 25% into Eats without any sign of profit. Sounds very much like you spend to long listening to the talking heads and not enough time on the analysis.
    Well aware that the $43.90 I paid may turn out to be poor value, happy to take the risk though.

What did you do? Buy 10 or 20 shares....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Theres blood on the trading room floors today Uber & Tech getting a kicking.

and Verastem (naturally) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Theres blood on the trading room floors today Uber & Tech getting a kicking.

Not just tech. Down across the board. Thanks to the US trade war with China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Not just tech. Down across the board. Thanks to the US trade war with China.
    From what I understand, there's a lot of support for Trump's position on China...including bi-partisan support. Trade deficit with China is something like €400B. Trade war will hurt China far far more than US. Trump can carry this on for a lot longer than China can....remember PBOC have already eased reserve limits, eased credit access and central Government giving tax breaks as stimulus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

He needs a good win before elections though so I can see them settling for a deal soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm starting to get worried that when the Verastem stock runs out of numbers to go down someone's going to call around to my house and start taking furniture off me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

He needs a good win before elections though so I can see them settling for a deal soon enough

Going by the level and number of contributions his 2020 campaign has gathered so far he is looking like a shoe-in. I think a lot of us in Europe have misread the popularity of Trump in the US. His style maybe irksome, but his convictions have traction!

vtt4fsva65y21.jpg

Uber and Lyft

• Advertisement

CNBC guests extremely bearish on UBER.

Could this be the end of banana tech vals?

When all is said and done basic fundamentals are most important when it comes to valuating a company.

A company whose CEO says it may never be profitable is not a good sign. Big bubble, when will it pop? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

VSTM on the move in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Irishder wrote: »
    VSTM on the move in the right direction.

Up 17% today. Now only another 200% to climb and I'll be at my break even point on this sh*t sandwich :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Up 17% today. Now only another 200% to climb and I'll be at my break even point on this sh*t sandwich :-)

:D
    On a serious note though I hope you only put a couple hundred drinking money on it and not serious cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

I only opened up a DEGIRO account yesterday and made my first trades, there seems to be a platora of websites giving advice. What websites and resources do people use here for their research?

Irishder wrote: »
    I only opened up a DEGIRO account yesterday and made my first trades, there seems to be a platora of websites giving advice. What websites and resources do people use here for their research?

Research due diligence, fundamentals, and then cognitive bias, after research key terms on websites such as investopedia, or watch youtube tutorials.

Following this extract as much information as you can whether be it on here, seekingalpha, reddit, or forums specifically for those stock exchanges (hotcopper for asx comes to mind). Most people tend to stick to US Stocks due to volume, solid fundamentals, and gains to be made.

Reddit investing is a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks for the TTWO tip, whoever that was (i think InstaSte). Up over 15%.

Voltex wrote: »
    From what I understand, there's a lot of support for Trump's position on China...including bi-partisan support. Trade deficit with China is something like €400B. Trade war will hurt China far far more than US. Trump can carry this on for a lot longer than China can....remember PBOC have already eased reserve limits, eased credit access and central Government giving tax breaks as stimulus.

The trade deficit is still growing and most likely will do until American consumers can no longer take it. They will then start to realise that the are the ones paying for the tariffs and we'll see how it goes from then on.

The other issue is debt, China is a major buyer and holder of US debt... if they were to stop buying or start to sell....

• Advertisement

Stop listening to the talking heads And start thinking for yourself.

Advertisement