Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Thanks for the TTWO tip, whoever that was (i think InstaSte). Up over 15%.

Still unsure about this, Red Dead was disappointing and the future of the gaming industry is so unsure

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Irishder wrote: »
    I only opened up a DEGIRO account yesterday and made my first trades, there seems to be a platora of websites giving advice. What websites and resources do people use here for their research?

None, if those guys were able to make money out of it, they would not need to sell their services to you.

First of all understand yourself, your approach to risk and your limitations. Be honest with yourself, no one else needs to know! This is probably one of the most important aspects of investing if you want to keep losses to a minimum.

Determine what your investing objective is and not make as much money as possible is not an objective. Next figure out how much risk you need to take on in order to achieve that objective and don't take on risk beyond that. It is not a race and there are not winners, but there are an incredible number of losers!

Learn at least the basics of fundamental analysis, technical analysis and economics. So that you are comfortable going through a set of accounts, economic reports etc... If you don't have much business experience, then take advantage of any open door events offered by companies in your area, so you can start to build up some kind of a feeling for what it is like in business and you'll get a feel for what is behind the reports and the figures.

You can be an expert in everything, so pick a few sectors and become an expert in those. When you do decide to invest in a company, then you need to not only know everything about it, but also about it's cometitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Thanks for the TTWO tip, whoever that was (i think InstaSte). Up over 15%.

Took my profits a bit early. Think if I was still holding I'd consider moving them on for now unless happy to stay long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Well I'm glad I didn't hit sell this morning at 103... got pulled into a meeting. At 108 now. :D
    Took my profits a bit early. Think if I was still holding I'd consider moving them on for now unless happy to stay long.

Well I'm glad I didn't hit sell this morning at 103... got pulled into a meeting. At 108 now. :D Edit: Not going to be greedy, sold half at 108.5

Excellent work !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Jim2007 wrote: »
    None, if those guys were able to make money out of it, they would not need to sell their services to you.

First of all understand yourself, your approach to risk and your limitations. Be honest with yourself, no one else needs to know! This is probably one of the most important aspects of investing if you want to keep losses to a minimum.

Determine what your investing objective is and not make as much money as possible is not an objective. Next figure out how much risk you need to take on in order to achieve that objective and don't take on risk beyond that. It is not a race and there are not winners, but there are an incredible number of losers!

Learn at least the basics of fundamental analysis, technical analysis and economics. So that you are comfortable going through a set of accounts, economic reports etc... If you don't have much business experience, then take advantage of any open door events offered by companies in your area, so you can start to build up some kind of a feeling for what it is like in business and you'll get a feel for what is behind the reports and the figures.

You can be an expert in everything, so pick a few sectors and become an expert in those. When you do decide to invest in a company, then you need to not only know everything about it, but also about it's cometitors.

TBH...not a whole lot wrong with sitting through an hour or so of Squawk Box in the morning to learn a few bits. Steve Sedgwick makes it very easy to watch...

Anybody eyeing up entry or reentry to TSLA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Think there's some good news about to break? As the Euro launch continues apace? (on a separate but related note - definitely getting 2nd hand a Model 3 in about 18 months or so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Not I. Share price is down nearly 50% in six months. Continues to miss delivery targets. Will the Maxwell purchase pay off? Who know. The company is losing billions each year. Its' technology is no longer 'years ahead' of the competition (IMHO). Elon is too unpredictable.

The kid in mean loves his vision though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to say, SPY daily is looking grim. I fomo'd too late into the TTD party and am feeling the pain now, should have managed that far better.
    I'm already seeing value on stocks but they are still falling, time to go to cash I think unless trapped in them ( like me now in TTD @ $205 ).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Voltex wrote: »
    TBH...not a whole lot wrong with sitting through an hour or so of Squawk Box in the morning to learn a few bits. Steve Sedgwick makes it very easy to watch...

You’d be better of spending the time reading a financial report or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭redlead

What are peoples thoughts on Volkswagen and Renault? Renault is at close to a 5 year low. I can't help but think the market has over reacted to the arrest of Ghosn. Current PE ratio is only 4.5 and it pays an extremely generous dividend. It looks cheap if they can sort out their issues with Nissan.

VOW shares obviously aren't as cheap as they were post dieselgate but I can't see them going much lower. To me they look like the car manufacturer with the brightest future in EVs once the MEB platform starts getting roled out across their various brands. They seem to have gotten their act together better than everyone else when it comes to planning for EV adoption down the line. I can't decide whether the current share price offers much value though. I suspect that it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

redlead wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on Volkswagen and Renault? Renault is at close to a 5 year low. I can't help but think the market has over reacted to the arrest of Ghosn. Current PE ratio is only 4.5 and it pays an extremely generous dividend. It looks cheap if they can sort out their issues with Nissan.

VOW shares obviously aren't as cheap as they were post dieselgate but I can't see them going much lower. To me they look like the car manufacturer with the brightest future in EVs once the MEB platform starts getting roled out across their various brands. They seem to have gotten their act together better than everyone else when it comes to planning for EV adoption down the line. I can't decide whether the current share price offers much value though. I suspect that it does.

Volkswagen should be a safe bet for long term. Put a few into it and leave it for 5 years.
    Renault fell 10 bucks in the last 3 weeks. Does it have more to fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Renault is down 50% since last April. If you look at it's climb from 2011 or so it's more or less mirrored the general economic recovery during that time. Car sales in Europe are down the last two quarters and with the general geo-political and economic turmoil I'd say that might continue and while the dividend is atttractive I'd be inclined to think that this will drift downwards.

Picked up a few Ryanair for under a tenner to tuck away for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Bob Harris wrote: »

Same here. Already have a couple of grand worth... but the price was too tempting this morning, not too go for a few more. Hopefully a good summer and the extra business they will pick up from some recently failed competitors will boost the coffers and by extension the SP. :D

Bob Harris wrote: »

And the reason would be what exactly? Is it under valued? Will it out perform say the STOXX 50, MSCI Europe... where is the merit in picking it up under 10 versus the alternatives?

And the reason would be what exactly? Is it under valued? Will it out perform say the STOXX 50, MSCI Europe... where is the merit in picking it up under 10 versus the alternatives?

Because it has a habit of dipping to 10 and running to 12.

I take a medium term view of a few years

- passenger carried are forecast to grow strongly over the next 5 years
    - they have a modern fleet with more on the way
    - I feel most of the brexit fears have been factored in
    - union issues largely sorted
    - very strong cash position as highlighted by share buy backs

Volkswagen should be a safe bet for long term. Put a few into it and leave it for 5 years.
    Renault fell 10 bucks in the last 3 weeks. Does it have more to fall?

Renault announced merger with FIAT.

Up 12% today.

Dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭redlead

redlead wrote: »

God damn it, I went with VOW. This month has been terrible for me!

I still think VOW is the smarter choice long term though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ryanair are suffering a lot from overcapacity in Europe at the minute driving fares down. Those fares will rise when capacity decreases, there are a number of competitors who are struggling with the low fares and the volatility in fuel costs. Ryanair are still in a very strong position given their incredible cost base and their fuel hedging removing that level of volatility for them.

Thomas Cook look in trouble, Norwegian are perennially in trouble, as are Alitalia. A deterioration in economic conditions/sharp rise in fuel costs/next Winter will undo them. Meanwhile Ryanair have 737 MAX aircraft on the way with 16% less fuel burn and 4% more seats, which will help their cost competitiveness even further, and depending on how many old 737-800s they plan to dispose of as the 737 MAXs come in, provide them with additional fleet for further growth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BIRG back at Christmas Eve prices again today, is it all Brexit related or something else?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Beyond Meat having a great day; opened first production facility in Europe and forecasts for their market and category (alternative meat) have got promising reviews. Bought a few shares there. Presently around $85 each, high point was ~$94 a couple weeks back

Verstem, in contrast, having a vrey rough week.. Share price back to where it was on 10.05.19.

Literally just picked up their burgers for the first time. €7 for 2! They'd want to be daycent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Bad day for VKTX it seems

crushproof wrote: »
    Bad day for VKTX it seems

It'll be back up a dollar within a week.

Literally just picked up their burgers for the first time. €7 for 2! They'd want to be daycent.

My God they were delicious !

My God they were delicious !

Ste us definitely running a pump and dump here.

• Advertisement

Ste is definitely running a pump and dump here.

Hey we all do it

Advertisement