Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

There will likely be wild swings in RWLK today, $9.08 at the moment, might be an opportunity for a quick trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

So much for beyond Meat dipping for me to get in !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Thoughts on NIO and Abbvie? Completely ruined my little portfolio, down 65% and 15% respectively.

Abbvie has consistently been 10% down for the almost year I've held it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Thoughts on NIO and Abbvie? Completely ruined my little portfolio, down 65% and 15% respectively.

Abbvie has consistently been 10% down for the almost year I've held it.

I'm holding long on NIO, I'm down 50% so I'm hoping for a rebound at some point and will cash out. Can't see it performing well in the future and in my case I didn't do enough research into the stock. They seem to be burning through cash and it's not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

So much for beyond Meat dipping for me to get in !

At over $180 a share this afternoon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Yeah I am very sick about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Flex wrote: »
    At over $180 a share this afternoon...

Yeah, have been watching it. Its put on quite a spurt :eek:

Fair play to anyone who got on it in time. Will be keeping my money in my pocket though....this has 'bubble' written all over it (SP is x35 times Earnings) and anyone investing now is going to get burnt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interesting to see where BYND goes but too risky to touch, someone on Reddit pointed out the whole plant based alternative burger industry is currently worth about 2 billion, BYND has less than 2% of that, currently valued at 10 billion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Diageo !!!
    Hanging around an all time high at the moment.

Keep some or all or none?

Keep and double your investment. Only have 2% of the global booze market. Lots of room for growth and great brands. Buy and check in in ten years time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Yeah, have been watching it. Its put on quite a spurt :eek:

Fair play to anyone who got on it in time. Will be keeping my money in my pocket though....this has 'bubble' written all over it (SP is x35 times Earnings) and anyone investing now is going to get burnt :rolleyes:

Beyond Meat now $126 ... so a fall of 25% in todays session.

• Advertisement

Netflix is down around $344 today from $385 at the start of May and a 52 weeks high of $423.

Does this seem like a good time to buy into them, or do they have further to drop? Re FANG stocks, Ive read a few articles that future regulations are bearing on them (as I typed this Facebook has dropped from $177 to $173 dollars in a few minutes)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I don't think Netflix is a target for those regulations but a major problem for them is Disney's new streaming platform that they announced at the start of May I think, could be a lot of competition entering the market

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Netflix is down around $344 today from $385 at the start of May and a 52 weeks high of $423.

Does this seem like a good time to buy into them, or do they have further to drop? Re FANG stocks, Ive read a few articles that future regulations are bearing on them (as I typed this Facebook has dropped from $177 to $173 dollars in a few minutes)..

Buy in the next recession. It will come eventually

NFLX is 26 times book value atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Personally wouldn't touch Netflix, too much competition , especially with Disney entering the fray. They have been burning money and are unlikely to grow their subscriber base much from here, I think Netflix could be the MySpace of streaming in 10 years time (or less).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Disney is like the gift that just keeps on giving, I think it's just going to get bigger and bigger like Microsoft. They both pay dividends every quarter. I'm sorry I didn't put the house on them, still way up on them though.
    Xiaomi is up nicely since I called out the bottom a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Disney is like the gift that just keeps on giving, I think it's just going to get bigger and bigger like Microsoft. They both pay dividends every quarter. I'm sorry I didn't put the house on them, still way up on them though.
    Xiaomi is up nicely since I called out the bottom a few days ago.

...and I thought they just did a TV channel and made some movies.

UAqq7RH.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In 20yrs time you'll see ads ad the bottom of your virtual head saying if you had invested in Disney 20 years ago guess what you shared would be worth now.
    When you see a one trick pony like apple worth more you know this is a steal. Look at any chart on a long enough timescale and Disney and Microsoft are only going to get bigger and bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

In 20yrs time you'll see ads ad the bottom of your virtual head saying if you had invested in Disney 20 years ago guess what you shared would be worth now.
    When you see a one trick pony like apple worth more you know this is a steal. Look at any chart on a long enough timescale and Disney and Microsoft are only going to get bigger and bigger.

Apart from Hive and Tawana which were recommended here Im not in Shares but in Crypto. However due to the Volatility Im considering investing in more shares.

Can Disney/Microsoft be purchased through Degiro and if so what would be a good price to get in at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Apart from Hive and Tawana which were recommended here Im not in Shares but in Crypto. However due to the Volatility Im considering investing in more shares.

Can Disney/Microsoft be purchased through Degiro and if so what would be a good price to get in at.

You can. If you’re looking to hold long term(5years+), then now is a good as ever..

*Have Disney Stock

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MrFinance

Hi all,

Currently looking to Diversify. Largest position: have approx. 10k in J&J. Also have 5k in 4 other investments.

I've always invested in products I believe to be good. Anyway, I've had the following on my radar for awhile:
    1. Xiaomi. Use there products, really good quality.
    2. Disney.
    Funnily enough, ye have discussed them previously.

My question is, if you had 20k would you invest currently. Or wait a year or two for market to consolidate and then invest?

• Advertisement

MrFinance wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently looking to Diversify. Largest position: have approx. 10k in J&J. Also have 5k in 4 other investments.

I've always invested in products I believe to be good. Anyway, I've had the following on my radar for awhile:
    1. Xiaomi. Use there products, really good quality.
    2. Disney.
    Funnily enough, ye have discussed them previously.

My question is, if you had 20k would you invest currently. Or wait a year or two for market to consolidate and then invest?

Haven't researched either company. I'd wait for an exceptional opportunity. Hard to find now but possible. Limited downside but maximum upside potential.

Life is like a snowball. The important thing is finding wet snow and a really long hill.
    Warren Buffett

I have a large portfolio and doing well overall. Learned plenty over the last year. 2 biggest lessons were focus investing and wait for exceptional opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Gruffalo22 wrote: »
    Haven't researched either company. I'd wait for an exceptional opportunity. Hard to find now but possible. Limited downside but maximum upside potential.

Life is like a snowball. The important thing is finding wet snow and a really long hill.
    Warren Buffett

I have a large portfolio and doing well overall. Learned plenty over the last year. 2 biggest lessons were focus investing and wait for exceptional opportunities.
    DO put all your eggs in one basket.

vargoo wrote: »
    DO put all your eggs in one basket.

Yes put most of your money in your best opportunities and wait years if needs be between investments. They obviously must be very thoroughly researched and best opportunities in the market. Multibagger opportunities. Wait for recessions unless its obviously too good to pass up

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MrFinance

Gruffalo22 wrote: »
    Yes put most of your money in your best opportunities and wait years if needs be between investments. They obviously must be very thoroughly researched and best opportunities in the market. Multibagger opportunities. Wait for recessions unless its obviously too good to pass up

I'd have to agree here.

I've never believed in spreading myself too thin. All traditional finance theory indicates to really diversify. However, when doing so you're spreading yourself too thin (unless you're playing with 2/3m).

Thanks for the advice guys. Will keep up to date with this board.

Ryanair shares taking a plunge this morning, sittingaround €10.10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ryanair shares taking a plunge this morning, sittingaround €10.10

Time to get in?

weemcd wrote: »
    Time to get in?

I bought some at €10 a while ago and probably will again if it hits that this morning

Only really major thing I can see in the news

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0614/1055421-belgian-laws-apply-to-ryanair-employees-in-belgium/
    A Belgian court has ruled that the country's labour laws apply to Ryanair employees based in the country, in a case that could set a precedent elsewhere in Europe and upholds a 2018 agreement reached between the airline and Belgian unions.

The ruling at the Mons labour court, under which employees can decide whether to be covered by Belgian or Irish labour laws, reinforces the agreement and will prevent the airline from taking disputes to court in Ireland, said Yves Lambot, a representative of the CNE union.

"This is a great union victory for all of Europe," he said after the ruling. "It will allow all workers, be they Belgian or from other European countries, to be able to consult the court they consider the best."

This the cause of the fall this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Is anyone focused or following stocks in the Agri or Wind Energy sector? Two long term plays thinking of getting involved in as just starting out. Fist few weeks on Degiro.

Two industries have a genuine interest in so following advice of investing in sectors you have an interest and knowledge / appetite for knowledge in.

Orsted (up 50% yoy) and Vestas in Wind Energy.... Both have record orders on the books and increasing yoy.

AAC in Australia in Agri. Waiting on next correction to get in on DE and AGCO in US.

Think AAC provides long term opportunity, currently loss making, 2 year drought in northern Oz, lost 43,000 cattle in floods this year, closed and mothballed loss making abattoir, focused on premium and prestige beef now rather than commodity level product. Sales of premium product up 26% in asia. Own 1% of Australia, more than the size of ireland.

Anyone else look in to these or have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VoidMain

Airlines companies and the transportation sector are going in a different direction to the stock market. This is a bit of an alarm bell.
    Stobart STOB is hitting lows as well. They went from 77p to 275p and now back down to 107p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 VoidMain

bradygaz wrote: »
    Is anyone focused or following stocks in the Agri or Wind Energy sector? Two long term plays thinking of getting involved in as just starting out. Fist few weeks on Degiro.

Two industries have a genuine interest in so following advice of investing in sectors you have an interest and knowledge / appetite for knowledge in.

Orsted (up 50% yoy) and Vestas in Wind Energy.... Both have record orders on the books and increasing yoy.

AAC in Australia in Agri. Waiting on next correction to get in on DE and AGCO in US.

Think AAC provides long term opportunity, currently loss making, 2 year drought in northern Oz, lost 43,000 cattle in floods this year, closed and mothballed loss making abattoir, focused on premium and prestige beef now rather than commodity level product. Sales of premium product up 26% in asia. Own 1% of Australia, more than the size of ireland.

Anyone else look in to these or have any thoughts?

Looking into solar and alternative energy stocks. Theirs a bit of a boom in solar pv at the moment which I suspect has yet to get going in full swing.
    Have a read of investopedia.com/investing/alternative-energy-stocks/

Advertisement