Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Flex wrote: »
    I bought some at €10 a while ago and probably will again if it hits that this morning

Only really major thing I can see in the news

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0614/1055421-belgian-laws-apply-to-ryanair-employees-in-belgium/

This the cause of the fall this morning?

Lufthansa profit warning. all airlines are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Lufthansa profit warning. all airlines are down.

Essentially good for Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

bradygaz wrote: »
    Orsted (up 50% yoy) and Vestas in Wind Energy.... Both have record orders on the books and increasing yoy.

Vestas was reccomended to me by a friend who's a CFA/investment fund manager as a long term hold. I didn't research it at the time when it looks like I should have!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

bradygaz wrote: »
    Is anyone focused or following stocks in the Agri or Wind Energy sector? Two long term plays thinking of getting involved in as just starting out. Fist few weeks on Degiro.

Two industries have a genuine interest in so following advice of investing in sectors you have an interest and knowledge / appetite for knowledge in.

Orsted (up 50% yoy) and Vestas in Wind Energy.... Both have record orders on the books and increasing yoy.

AAC in Australia in Agri. Waiting on next correction to get in on DE and AGCO in US.

Think AAC provides long term opportunity, currently loss making, 2 year drought in northern Oz, lost 43,000 cattle in floods this year, closed and mothballed loss making abattoir, focused on premium and prestige beef now rather than commodity level product. Sales of premium product up 26% in asia. Own 1% of Australia, more than the size of ireland.

Anyone else look in to these or have any thoughts?

I have some money in TRIG (renewables infrastructure group) - they operate the windfarms after they have been built. Nice yield as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

bob mcbob wrote: »
    I have some money in TRIG (renewables infrastructure group) - they operate the windfarms after they have been built. Nice yield as well.

Don't see TRIG on Degiro - looked at the website though. Nice diversification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Don't see TRIG on Degiro - looked at the website though. Nice diversification.

TRIG is an traded investment trust on the London market and looking at Degiro website it says that it does shares and investment funds. So don't see why not.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    TRIG is an traded investment trust on the London market and looking at Degiro website it says that it does shares and investment funds. So don't see why not.

well searching 'TRIG' produces zero results;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

FFS. Ryanair down to 9.90 (down ~7%). I'll have to buy a few more but I'll wait a bit before I jump in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

FFS. Ryanair down to 9.90 (down ~7%). I'll have to buy a few more but I'll wait a bit before I jump in again.

Same boat. Put 1k into them last week when. They seemed to have levelled.

Hames of a morning.

Same boat. Put 1k into them last week when. They seemed to have levelled.

Hames of a morning.

Has to be more to it than a competitor's profit warning? Arguably they're not even true competitors - they have different markets (flagship/ longhaul v low fare cattle class carrier)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Has to be more to it than a competitor's profit warning? Arguably they're not even true competitors - they have different markets (flagship/ longhaul v low fare cattle class carrier)

Most of the problems are in the low cost part of the business Eurowings so they're competing with Ryanair and explains how they got dragged into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Most of the problems are in the low cost part of the business Eurowings so they're competing with Ryanair and explains how they got dragged into this.
    Ryanair should be up but traders aren't reading the results to understand why Lufthansa is down. Lufthansa is down because it is loosing intra-europe business to the low cost carriers of which Ryanair is but one. Their home market is under attack and if you look at air fares in the German market you will see very high fares on routes where they are not competing with LCCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Providence resources and Kenmare resources at yearly lows today on ISEQ.

Both have pretty good prospects going forward, might represent a buying opportunity. DYOR obviously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did Ryanair buy out a carrier/company from Malta recently too.

Yip. Bought Malta Air.
    beertons wrote: »
    Did Ryanair buy out a carrier/company from Malta recently too.

Good day for Verastem holders especially if you were brave enough to average down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Regarding Ryanair or any airline i wonder if the climate action stuff will affect share prices. Goverments around the world seem to be turning the dials ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ryanair-ranked-among-europe-s-top-carbon-emitters-1.3846104?mode=amp

IATA's push for a 50% reduction in CO2 emissions is pie in the sky stuff. There is no alternative fuel for aviation at the moment. Passenger numbers are expected to (more than) double in the next 15-20 years. Established airlines are in trouble. Profits are being squeezed. Fuel prices are going to increase. I can see air fares increasing significantly as this climate change push gains momentum.

It's interesting that the likes of easyJet and LH etc were left of that headline. Ryanair is the largest airline in Europe with the youngest fleet. CO2 emissions per pax are the lowest in Europe on short haul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

This. I think the days of low cost airlines are behind us. No sign of electric powered commercial airliners in sight.

This. I think the days of low cost airlines are behind us. No sign of electric powered commercial airliners in sight.

Oil / Jet fuel surely going to drop in price and demand drops. The US torpedoing tankers in the Middle East isn't going to reverse the trend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What’s the constant focus on aviation about?

Sure, right now there is no viable alternative for aviation and it’s stuck with fossil fuel power for planes. But planes aren’t the sole emitter of carbon dioxide, and many other contributors of carbon emissions are easily addressed but there doesn’t seem to be as much effort to do so

IMO it’s ridiculous for Irish people to be complaining about emissions from planes whilst Ireland has a railway network that is 2% electrified, has a woefully inadequate electric vehicle infrastructure, has very few non diesel powered buses, and burns turf and coal to produce electricity whilst having vast untapped offshore wind resources.

Let’s deal with the low hanging fruit first and worry about aviation after when technological developments and efficiencies evolve. I don’t think there’s any short term regulatory threat to aviation besides from minority radical groups

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MrFinance

marno21 wrote: »
    What’s the constant focus on aviation about?

Sure, right now there is no viable alternative for aviation and it’s stuck with fossil fuel power for planes. But planes aren’t the sole emitter of carbon dioxide, and many other contributors of carbon emissions are easily addressed but there doesn’t seem to be as much effort to do so

IMO it’s ridiculous for Irish people to be complaining about emissions from planes whilst Ireland has a railway network that is 2% electrified, has a woefully inadequate electric vehicle infrastructure, has very few non diesel powered buses, and burns turf and coal to produce electricity whilst having vast untapped offshore wind resources.

Let’s deal with the low hanging fruit first and worry about aviation after when technological developments and efficiencies evolve. I don’t think there’s any short term regulatory threat to aviation besides from minority radical groups

Couldn't agree more with this. Great post!

MrFinance wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with this. Great post!

Right on. Good points. Bought another €400 worth today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Any thoughts on the buyout offer of Sotheby's on Monday? 50% offer over last weeks share price!!
    Does anybody here hold it in their portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Sort of a general comment here, but what are people making of the strengthening of the € against the dollar? Will it make € priced shares more attractive in the short term and make the potential erosion of gains made by investing in dollar shares mean theyre not worth while?

I have some shares in Microsoft and see this morning the € is up +0.69% against the dollar..

Or is it over overthinking the forecasted exchange rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

NoteAgent wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the buyout offer of Sotheby's on Monday? 50% offer over last weeks share price!!
    Does anybody here hold it in their portfolio?

How is that fella ever gonna make money on that?

vargoo wrote: »
    How is that fella ever gonna make money on that?

It's being talked about as a "trophy asset". Basically to be used as bragging rights down in the local boozer. I think the offer is for about 28 times earnings. Pretty expensive but at least it's a very old, cash generative, reliable business. You could do far worse I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

NoteAgent wrote: »
    It's being talked about as a "trophy asset". Basically to be used as bragging rights down in the local boozer. I think the offer is for about 28 times earnings. Pretty expensive but at least it's a very old, cash generative, reliable business. You could do far worse I suppose.

In the age of digital products and mass production, owning a rare object is going to become more and more popular.

In the age of digital products and mass production, owning a rare object is going to become more and more popular.

For sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Tesco Shares having a big slump today, anyone know the cause?

Advertisement