Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

A good time to buy into Glanbia long?

Interested in these stocks atm just wondering if anyone holds them/has opinions:

- Freeport-McMoRan Inc (Mining)
    - Credit Suisse (Banking)
    - Sasol Limited (African energy + chemical company)
    - Mylan N.V. (Pharmaceuticals)
    - Saipem S.p.A. (Italian Oil & Gas Co)
    - Fresnillo PLC (Metals)
    - BAE Systems (Aerospace & Defence)

A few greek stocks to hold long, still relatively cheap
    - Alpha Bank
    - EUROBANK ERGASIAS S.A.
    - PUBLIC POWER CORP. S.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Time to short SPY?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Any thoughts on Fitbit? Want to add more retail/consumer good stocks to my portfolio with Christmas just around the corner

Down 20% today after poor sales announced.
    The share is down 50% in the last year and way down from historical highs.
    People moving on from Fitbit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Down 20% today after poor sales announced.
    The share is down 50% in the last year and way down from historical highs.
    People moving on from Fitbit maybe?
    Just another overhyped fad with a load of bagholders left waiting for a return to historic highs thats never coming, basically my usual investment strategy :pac:

Thargor wrote: »
    Just another overhyped fad with a load of bagholders left waiting for a return to historic highs thats never coming, basically my usual investment strategy :pac:

Well if you're trying to say that you're in Beyond Meat sell up cos they could be some heavy bags to be holding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

VSTM earnings, beats on EPS & Revenue, up ~5% after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yesterday was all sunshine and rainbows for me..initially, absolutely over the moon then wtf!! Knew that there had been a tweet, with the rate cut and now the Chinese tariffs I think there is going to be a real possibility of a market collapse. PYPL didn't drop by much (more) so I sold it and put that money into V and MSFT as I'm not confidant its going to recover any time soon. More anti trust news about FB yesterday coupled with tariff mans antics, that stock is in for a beating. My account is taking a beating this week.

Hope today doesn't turn out to be a bloodbath heading into the weekend.
    AMD may present an opportunity, its down about 14% since earnings a few days ago and I think its overdone (even with the China tariff situation), anyone taking a punt, maybe an entry around $28?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You know it's going to be a bad day when the only thing gone green in your portfolio is Hive. Are investors using Bitcoin as a safe haven on days like this, the more they buy the more it goes up. It'll probably burst $11k today and 12k over the weekend thanks to tarrifs.

Aphria posted good results last night, up 30% AH and could hit 7 today, on course for 5-600m revenue on a mkt cap of 1.5b. All cannabis stocks will be up today on the back of it.

All out, all in cash, no way am I holding over the weekend. fcuk it.
    Going to take a back seat for a bit.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    All out, all in cash, no way am I holding over the weekend. fcuk it.
    Going to take a back seat for a bit.

Wise move.

Wise move.

Down a couple of hundred euro today which sucks, but not the end of the world. Can see this easily turning into another December 2018. Going to wait for Brexit at halloween to invest in ATT (CEF on LSE) as if it happens sterling is going to be massacred (this CEF is GB domiciled) or see if/when the US markets correct.

Down a couple of hundred euro today which sucks, but not the end of the world. Can see this easily turning into another December 2018. Going to wait for Brexit at halloween to invest in ATT (CEF on LSE) as if it happens sterling is going to be massacred (this CEF is GB domiciled) or see if/when the US markets correct.

I'm with ya. But hey at least you didn't sell at the bottom in December like I did ! Broke my own number one rule at the time ! Shat it...

I'm down about 5k in stocks for the 12 months and up about the same in crypto. Lessons learned. A rollercoaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Aphria posted good results last night, up 30% AH and could hit 7 today, on course for 5-600m revenue on a mkt cap of 1.5b. All cannabis stocks will be up today on the back of it.

I've lost 2 months profit over the last 2 days.
    Aphria is the only thing that's up.

Sold Aphria at 15.

For a loss.

Boy am i glad I went all cash last week. Hard to resist right now, but looking at last December charts it seems like patience is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Not panicing just yet, but sobering falls in all my holdings... I estimate my share portfolio has lost well over €1000 in the last 2-3 trading days.

If this sell off plays out like Autumn 2018 ... then things will get worse before they gradually improve. But I'm not selling just yet.... Watching for any signs that things are bottoming out ...Theres nothing as awful as selling at the bottom of the market at a loss and then watching as SP's improve and moves into profit territory ...

Sold everything at the bottom late 2019. Sick about it at the time but half comforting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sold everything at the bottom late 2019. Sick about it at the time but half comforting now.

I assume you mean 2018

I wasn't too keen on the way markets were shaping up a few weeks ago so I moved my pension find into the SL BlackRock gold and general pension fund.

Seems like I couldn't have timed it better.

This fund is very volatile but is a good earner when **** hits the fan, and it's been my go to fund in times of trouble for years.

It mainly invests in gold miners, so is indirectly affected by the gold price.

Just need to see whats happening over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

I wasn't too keen on the way markets were shaping up a few weeks ago so I moved my pension find into the SL BlackRock gold and general pension fund.

This fund is very volatile but is a good earner when **** hits the fan, and it's been my go to fund in times of trouble for years.

Thats up over 4% today, can't find it on Degiro, where do you trade it?

I assume you mean 2018

I do indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Where is your pension normally that you can move it?

vargoo wrote: »
    Where is your pension normally that you can move it?

I'm in the UK with Standard Life. Luckily they provide quote a large choice of funds to move it into.

I previously had it spread into 4 other equity funds which have been performing well.

See the attached picture for their names.

Usual funds

Thats up over 4% today, can't find it on Degiro, where do you trade it?

It's a pension fund, so usually only pension providers can trade it.
    My pension is with Standard Life.

The Australia stock market took a hammering today and that's the 3rd largest investment in the fund, Canada is on holidays today (2nd largest) so I don't expect much movement in the price today, but tomorrow should show another few % increase assuming gold stays where it is or continues to grow and the US stocks keep today's gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Are people seeing buying opportunities today? Might deposit some cash into my portfolio today but will probably only buy a little, see how things play out over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Theres definitely value...got some MSFT yesterday on the dip

Dead cat bounce today I reckon. Underlying economical and political issues haven't evaporated overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea bitcoin still roaring away, I'd wait until it wobbles. I think it becomes a safe haven in times like this a bit like gold used to be. See if it starts shedding value before the American markets kick off. That could be a buy signal for the likes of Microsoft etc. If it's still rising sit tight. It's steady now but could drop quickly with profit taking and money going back into real businesses.

Advertisement