Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

sasol wrote: »
    SDRL - great shout

stock was trading at $12,000+ back in '13 some drop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

hottipper wrote: »
    American airlines are at 2016 prices could to be ready soon :pac::pac:

Yes by all means, ready for people who want to loose money by investing in a business model that involves expanding vast amounts of capital while selling their product in a commodity market where the race to the bottom is always on! What could possibly go wrong? Pretty much everything as American airlines have shown time and again.

And now with a recession not far of on the horizon, you think it’s a good time to investing in basket cases.....

A better strategy might be to start looking at the relatively safe recession proof stocks before they leave orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Jim2007 wrote: »

A better strategy might be to start looking at the relatively safe recession proof stocks before they leave orbit.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pumpkins.
    Theyre climbing all year and i reckon they will peak right around december

Such as?

Emerging market etfs, gold etc take a look at “Ray Dalio’s All weather portfolio”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Just got into these 2 stocks
    Ballard Power BLDP
    Digital Turbines APPS

Digital has already gains of 5.6% this week

APPS up about 6% today, broke over the $7

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Home got a nice bounce also +10%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Yes by all means, ready for people who want to loose money by investing in a business model that involves expanding vast amounts of capital while selling their product in a commodity market where the race to the bottom is always on! What could possibly go wrong? Pretty much everything as American airlines have shown time and again.

And now with a recession not far of on the horizon, you think it’s a good time to investing in basket cases.....

People would be way better off if they looked at shares as equity stakes in businesses rather than a little line graph that goes up and down every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

So long TVIX Monday morning then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

XMG wrote: »
    So long TVIX Monday morning then?

Absolutely!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I pulled out 5% down. Hoping it's the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

seadrill got a nice 12% bounce today home got 6 too late to chase them now though

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

Any thoughts on Irish Continental?

A good underlying business getting hammered recently by a combination of Brexit fears, sterling weakness and delayed delivery of their new ferry.

They are very real fears, but even if Brexit is a hard one, stuff still has to shift both to the UK and the continent. In fact a really hard Brexit, in which the landbridge is restricted, might even be good for IC. Re=route larger ferries direct to continent, increasing their Euro earnings while avoiding the sterling drag, and put the smaller boats on UK run.

Any thoughts on Irish Continental?

A good underlying business getting hammered recently by a combination of Brexit fears, sterling weakness and delayed delivery of their new ferry.

They are very real fears, but even if Brexit is a hard one, stuff still has to shift both to the UK and the continent. In fact a really hard Brexit, in which the landbridge is restricted, might even be good for IC. Re=route larger ferries direct to continent, increasing their Euro earnings while avoiding the sterling drag, and put the smaller boats on UK run.

more to the downside i'm afraid ain't looking good on any timeframe.
    might get a bounce here but i wouldn't trade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Anyone looking at glanbia.or would it be a good investment now..

butrasgali wrote: »
    Anyone looking at glanbia.or would it be a good investment now..

yeah looking good nows the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

With Boris Johnson defeated in the vote in the House of Commons tonight will we see a nice bump in Irish/UK/Euro shares tomorrow ?

With Boris Johnson defeated in the vote in the House of Commons tonight will we see a nice bump in Irish/UK/Euro shares tomorrow ?

Hopefully down a good bit today.

Like a rocket from the crypt ... BOI & AIB up 5% each this morning. :o

No way for me to profit here unfortunately... as I got out of the Irish banks some time ago.

Nostrum Oil & Gas up 13.15% today. Nice little moves on Aviva & Mediclinic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

The Big Short’s Michael Burry Explains Why Index Funds Are Like Subprime CDOs

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-04/michael-burry-explains-why-index-funds-are-like-subprime-cdos

Makes for interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

I think there could be opportunity in UK equities over the next couple of years. Not among the companies that depend on outside trade but rather the ones that trade exclusively within the UK. Share prices just keep falling.
    On top of that your getting a very favourable exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

NoteAgent wrote: »
    I think there could be opportunity in UK equities over the next couple of years. Not among the companies that depend on outside trade but rather the ones that trade exclusively within the UK. Share prices just keep falling.
    On top of that your getting a very favourable exchange rate

You'd have to be careful. If it's a B2C business what if all the UK customers work for companies who trade with Europe & lose their jobs or take pay cuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ryanair gaining, up 12+% on year low during Aug.

ISEQ up about 6% since my post on 3/9/19.

at the time I was actually in the process of selling out my Stockmarket positions.... (moving my loot to safer harbours til all the current uncertainty has sorted itself out). Glad I was a bit tardy about doing it now. My Portfolio of shares (Irish/UK/US) is up 5% over the last 4 trading days. :D

Really just goes to show .... If you are not in, you can't win. :rolleyes:

PS. Still looking to sell out of my Stockmarket holdings in the next few Months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone dipping their toes into the SAAS/Cloud stocks after the sell off in the last couple of days?
    Got some MA yesterday and had limit orders in for V and PYPL which were just a bit too hopeful (literally missed by about 50c on both).
    Anyone think this so called "rotation" in the US tech stocks is the smart money leaving before a wider dip? I'm extremely cautious and was all in cash until yesterdays MA purchase which was only small position. MDB and TTD are ones I'm watching closely as well as any further weakness in V and PYPL

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone dipping their toes into the SAAS/Cloud stocks after the sell off in the last couple of days?
    Got some MA yesterday and had limit orders in for V and PYPL which were just a bit too hopeful (literally missed by about 50c on both).
    Anyone think this so called "rotation" in the US tech stocks is the smart money leaving before a wider dip? I'm extremely cautious and was all in cash until yesterdays MA purchase which was only small position. MDB and TTD are ones I'm watching closely as well as any further weakness in V and PYPL

If the money is flowing away from the likes of V and Disney that have had a very good run then it'll probably be a few days of a dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Supercell wrote: »

Exact same thing happened last year, start of September there was a big rotation out of tech stocks, I think the thought behind it was that fund managers have an eye at year end and want to lock in some profits now, they're probably up 15-20% so are happy to take that and move into something more safe until year end

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

ISEQ up about 6% since my post on 3/9/19.

at the time I was actually in the process of selling out my Stockmarket positions.... (moving my loot to safer harbours til all the current uncertainty has sorted itself out). Glad I was a bit tardy about doing it now. My Portfolio of shares (Irish/UK/US) is up 5% over the last 4 trading days. :D

Really just goes to show .... If you are not in, you can't win. :rolleyes:

PS. Still looking to sell out of my Stockmarket holdings in the next few Months.

Another cracking day but I'm thinking along the same line as you.

When is the right time to pull the trigger? Was setting the fast approaching end of Sept as my target but FOMO got me good.

What if there is another extension?

China trade deal could be a nice boost too if they can get something over the line in October talks. Probably nothing substantial but kicking anything drastic down the road would be good in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

MDB and V came back to what I wanted and got today so pleased, PYPL looks like it got away, TTD got within a cent of my limit order ($208.5) so far but maybe it will come too before the day is out. Have a limit order in for ZS at $45, its on day one of a fall and often a rule of three is reasonable. Wouldnt be surprised to see a bounce tomorrow in the tech stocks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement