Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Merck (NYSE: MRK) expecting FDA approval this Friday
    One to watch this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Merck (NYSE: MRK) expecting FDA approval this Friday
    One to watch this week

Sell before Friday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sold the bulk of my smurfit kappa stock @30.15 last week, will rebuy at under 25, looks like a renewed takeover is off the table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

apple has been on the up and up, sold half my position at $210 after buying in at 185
    I bought into Core laboratories after reading a few articcles on the Motley Fool and seeing they had a good dividend-up nearly 40% in the last 3 weeks.
    I had been buying USO when ever it went below $11 and selling when it reached $12 but always left in 2/3 of the shares, been making nice gains, obviously the last few days have been through the roof.
    My portfolio is 5% above where I hoped it would be by Christmas, I'll put a few trailing stop losses on them, I have one dog in there, AMSSY, down about 30% at the moment , but I think it could have a good session if iphones rebound. I had too much in Apple last year, still up a bit, but I should have diversified more-apple and oil are where I've been, except for a few european etf's.
    I find it difficult to find the time to properly research many stocks and I've no interest in penny stocks. It's been a good run though. It always comes right if you pick a stock you believe in and have patience, in my experience, but I'm only at it 15 years, I'm sure others are at it longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I would recommend both AIB & Bank of Ireland there share prices are still attractive I’m bullish long term on the Irish economy. I’ll look through my notes for more soon.

I hope you didn’t take your own advice. Both AIB and BoI shares have been hammered over the past year, losing over half their value. The six weeks to early September were a nightmare. Oddly, the past fortnight have seen a bounce back. The media say it’s Brexit related I.e. the letter Boris has to send asking for an extension. If anyone thinks that is a guarantee against a no deal Brexit, they deserve to lose their money 💰.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Sold the bulk of my smurfit kappa stock @30.15 last week, will rebuy at under 25, looks like a renewed takeover is off the table

Ex Dividend next week. (26th) prices of these generous dividend stocks fluctuate wildly round ex dividend date.

Ex Dividend next week. (26th) prices of these generous dividend stocks fluctuate wildly round ex dividend date.

For a large company ( by Irish standards), smurfit is extremely volatile, very thinly traded stock

For a large company ( by Irish standards), smurfit is extremely volatile, very thinly traded stock

Aggreed. But with that volatility comes opportunities. :D

At present it trades in a fairly well defined range soo its a no brainer to dip in and cash out as appropriate. The 3% dividend per anum (if you are lucky enough to be invested at the times of the year) is just icing on the cake.

Aggreed. But with that volatility comes opportunities. :D

At present it trades in a fairly well defined range soo its a no brainer to dip in and cash out as appropriate. The 3% dividend per anum (if you are lucky enough to be invested at the times of the year) is just icing on the cake.

Reckon I should have gotten back in today, down 14% from the highs of two weeks ago, goes ex dividend tomorrow so that put me off buying, wouldn't be surprised if it drops very little tomorrow

Reckon I should have gotten back in today, down 14% from the highs of two weeks ago, goes ex dividend tomorrow so that put me off buying, wouldn't be surprised if it drops very little tomorrow

Yeah, added a few more shares myself today in the low €26's you needed to be on Share register at midnight tonight to qualify for this upcoming dividend.. SP will probably fall again tomorrow....but where it goes from there is anybodies guess :confused:

as a general trend though, I think paper and cardboard is a good market to be in ....(green economy etc. ) especially if the big players can aggree to cut capacity and put a floor under pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Square Enix (EI4) going gangbusters last few days - finally, albeit barely, in the green for me after 14 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Osram

Carlyle Group & Bain are offering €35 per share for Osram (OSR), offer accepted by the supervisory and management boards of Osram, offer is subject to receiving 70% acceptance by early September.
    They had only 0.9% acceptances by last Friday, probably wouldn't be that unusual that it's so low at that stage.

AllianzGI, who own a 9.3% stake in Osram, have said that Osram shares were worth more than had been offered and it was not inclined to accept the bid, despite the board of management and supervisory board recommending it to shareholders - interestingly they haven't (afaik) stated definitively that they will not be accepting the offer. When AllianzGI took its stake above 5% in 2017, Osram shares were trading at €67. And when it raised the stake again late last year, they were trading at about €40, so presumably they stand to make a significant loss if the €35 offer is accepted.

AMS are also sniffing around Osram, making an offer valuing Osram's shares at €38.50. Osram queried AMS's ability to fund the deal and AMS's interest seems to have waned somewhat. On Tuesday AMS said it had been engaged in discussions with Osram, but that “following an evaluation of recent developments AMS does not see a sufficient basis for continuing these discussions”. Again it doesn't appear to be definitively ruling out continuing interest.

After the AllianzGI pronouncement the OSR share price dropped by about 10%, they are trading around €31.60 at the moment, they were at €30.70 earlier in the day.

Carlyle & Bain have obviously put a fair investment into reaching this stage so I'd imagine they would be reluctant to walk away now and there could also be rival bid(s).

Should be an opportunity here to make 10% by year end with limited risk.

AMS have come in again this morning with a 'best and final offer' of €41, Bain still in the frame (now with Advent after Carlyle pulled out), they could still outbid AMS. There may not be much more play in this as AMS are hardly likely to come back with a 'bestest and definitely final offer'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Thoughts on $MO?

Headed into the ground or will it recover?

Bag holding from €53.

Might get in low if vaping isn't destroyed entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The vaping thing will blow over, its built on complete bullsh1t, the only ones dying are the ones inhaling homemade THC crap where the THC has been extracted with chemicals you dont find in a normal vape. Its too embedded in society now anyway, nearly political suicide to try and impose prohibition.

Yeah, added a few more shares myself today in the low €26's you needed to be on Share register at midnight tonight to qualify for this upcoming dividend.. SP will probably fall again tomorrow....but where it goes from there is anybodies guess :confused:

as a general trend though, I think paper and cardboard is a good market to be in ....(green economy etc. ) especially if the big players can aggree to cut capacity and put a floor under pricing.

I bought @26.50 after it was obvious the drop was priced in prior to ex dividend day, sold again today @27.60 for a 270 euro scalp , fifty day moving average wasn't cleared today and the s+p looks stuck under 3000, think we drop back again under 26 next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Square Enix (EI4) going gangbusters last few days - finally, albeit barely, in the green for me after 14 months

Why did you buy 14 months ago? Didn't move much in fairness.

I was gonna buy stock a month ago, didn't, IT IS COMING IN MARCH. It will be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

FFVII wrote: »

I was gonna buy stock a month ago, didn't, IT IS COMING IN MARCH. It will be big.

Went From 44 to around 25 I think

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have you thought of trying the dogs, better entertainment and a similar chance of an outcome based on your strategy.

Try to understand a simple concept: In the short term the stock exchange is a voting machine and in the long term it's a weighting scales.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Have you thought of trying the dogs, better entertainment and a similar chance of an outcome based on your strategy.

Try to understand a simple concept: In the short term the stock exchange is a voting machine and in the long term it's a weighting scales.
    Their wasnt a reason to buy it 14 months ago, their sure as hell is now. And it's coming in March.

I'd be amazed if this isn't a sure thing.

Hell, even Sony could be worth buying. I bought a PS4 especially for March. I won't be alone.

Their wasnt a reason to buy it 14 months ago, their sure as hell is now. And it's coming in March.

Hell, even Sony could be worth buying. I bought a PS4 especially for March. I won't be alone.

I know nothing about the company but if you know something is going to happen in March then everyone does so even though it hasn't happened yet it's kind of old news. Turns out it's a game release as I've just looked. A well known one too so not much of a surprise element. If sales go really well that'll be kind of expected. If they don't go so well it'll take a beating. You're either very naíve or doing a bit of amateur trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yea. That's priced in a looooong time ago.

Don't go near gaming stocks is my free advice for the day.

It's part 1 + price is apparently the same for over a year now.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I know nothing about the company but if you know something is going to happen in March then everyone does so even though it hasn't happened yet it's kind of old news. Turns out it's a game release as I've just looked. A well known one too so not much of a surprise element. If sales go really well that'll be kind of expected. If they don't go so well it'll take a beating. You're either very naíve or doing a bit of amateur trolling.

This is the same as Nvidia releasing a new card range (killer) a 16 months (?) Back. Was that priced in? Seemingly not.

If everything is priced in nothing would be worth buying.

It's only now I've copped your username.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bob Harris wrote: »

Ah shur let the guy have his punt. If he's a proper gamer then he knows more than you or I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

My top gaming stock would be CD Projekt, releasing Cyberpunk 2077 next April, some of which would be priced in already I assume, but I still think this game will be a big surprise on the upside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

TD Ameritrade taking some beating today. Might be worth a long scalp if you’re interested in that.

TD Ameritrade taking some beating today. Might be worth a long scalp if you’re interested in that.

Charles Schwab now offering commission free trading, following IB's announcement a few days ago, following Firstrade's move to commission free a year ago, looks like commission free trading is here to stay for the US brokers, Ameritrade will probably have little choice but to follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

The fact they can offer commission free trading just shows how much that have milked for years.

• Advertisement

The fact they can offer commission free trading just shows how much that have milked for years.

Charles Schwab cut its retail trading commissions to $4.95 from $6.95 in February 2017. Since then, assets at the firm have grown by about $800 billion, obviously not all from fees but it was a fairly lucrative earner for them I reckon.

Advertisement