Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Apparently TD have just announced now themselves that they will go commission free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1002/1079565-flutter-entertainment-deal/

PaddyPower (Flutter) up 15% today on merger with online poker company.

Has a dividend yield of about 2% I think

Has been in a downward trend for the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Private equity company Carlyle Group is partnering with former Tullow Oil chief executive Aidan Heavey and the Irish-founded exploration company’s former finance chief Tom Hickey to form a venture that will target up to $1bn (€915m) of acquisitions in sub-Saharan Africa.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-01/ex-tullow-ceo-joins-forces-with-carlyle-in-new-africa-venture

Irish man Ken Murphy to succeed David lewis as Tesco's new chief executive.
    https://www.ft.com/content/14ffa01a-e4d9-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Private equity company Carlyle Group is partnering with former Tullow Oil chief executive Aidan Heavey and the Irish-founded exploration company’s former finance chief Tom Hickey to form a venture that will target up to $1bn (€915m) of acquisitions in sub-Saharan Africa.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-01/ex-tullow-ceo-joins-forces-with-carlyle-in-new-africa-venture
    Will do well as sounds rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Quite incredible to see the meltdown at WeWork after their cancelled IPO, if I recall their valuation at the start of the year almost $50bn.

Current valuation is $10bn and seems to be falling everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

crushproof wrote: »
    Quite incredible to see the meltdown at WeWork after their cancelled IPO, if I recall their valuation at the start of the year almost $50bn.

https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/1176548908077658113?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

I have been holding Nio for the last few months. The only tip that I took from boards without researching the company!

It's down about 70% for me. Very small in real money terms so not that bothered but what's the best move here do people think? Sell it off now or is there any bump coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

DM1983 wrote: »
    I have been holding Nio for the last few months. The only tip that I took from boards without researching the company!

It's down about 70% for me. Very small in real money terms so not that bothered but what's the best move here do people think? Sell it off now or is there any bump coming?

They've secured some financing from the owner and Tencent but at the rate they go through cash it won't get them far. They have more to be announced according to the conference call which should be soon and would give them a bump but I'd say medium term they've a huge amount to do.

At $1.20 now, might be $1 by Friday - get's good financing news and it goes up 50% and still only a dollar fifty. It's either get what you can for it and forget about it or stick it in the bottom drawer and forget about it hoping it recovers though might well be worth sweet fa by the next quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Just thinking out loud here, deliveroo posting a massive loss according to The Guardian. Would it be time to look at one of their direct rivals as an opportunity if/when they go bust?

weemcd wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here, deliveroo posting a massive loss according to The Guardian. Would it be time to look at one of their direct rivals as an opportunity if/when they go bust?

Direct rivals likely have the same operational issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I put a €250 into NIO after seeing it here and doing far too little research. Brutal holding. Like TAW/A40 I've just forgotten about them and viewing them as a write off.

It's been a terrible year for random punts.

A repeat of October 2018 on the cards ?

Big difference is that the Fed were raising rates last year while now they will probably cut rates again at their next meeting

And we all know what historically happens after rate cuts. Fun times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Complete basket case of a company. Didnt really know much about them till last year when I heard one of the co founders (not the chap who steped down) on a podcast going on about the company as if it was another Google or Facebook type SIlicon valley wonder kid when in reality all they are is just commercial sub letters with very few assets or patents. Theres equivilant types of companies big and small that actually have assets and proper board & management structures in place if you really want to invest in something. Alot of the big IPOs in the states lately seem to be for companies who are all spin, pr & debt rather then well run and profitable ventures

neris wrote: »
    Complete basket case of a company. Didnt really know much about them till last year when I heard one of the co founders (not the chap who steped down) on a podcast going on about the company as if it was another Google or Facebook type SIlicon valley wonder kid when in reality all they are is just commercial sub letters with very few assets or patents. Theres equivilant types of companies big and small that actually have assets and proper board & management structures in place if you really want to invest in something. Alot of the big IPOs in the states lately seem to be for companies who are all spin, pr & debt rather then well run and profitable ventures

Too many companies looking to float that don't have an arse in the seat of their pants. The market is supposed to finance expansion.

It is now a case where the IPO is the fund/service debt - We Work / Uber / Nio etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heiser

I put a €250 into NIO after seeing it here and doing far too little research. Brutal holding. Like TAW/A40 I've just forgotten about them and viewing them as a write off.

It's been a terrible year for random punts.

Taw/A40 - what a disaster that has proved to be. It had such potential too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Gruffalo22

Is anyone here beating the market/S&P500?

It has gone from 2506 (31st Dec) to 2887 currently. That is a gain of 15.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

Gruffalo22 wrote: »

I've a couple of holdings that are up 20%, but they're.for dividends AT&T and the likes, not sure If I'll sell or hold?

• Advertisement

It was 2929 367 days ago, so you'd want to have been awful lucky to get in on the dip. Long term I'd say most are up, I'm down a bit overall for the past 18 months.

Way up in crypto though.

Kamu wrote: »
    I've a couple of holdings that are up 20%, but they're.for dividends AT&T and the likes, not sure If I'll sell or hold?

I'm talking in total across your portfolio. I started in March 2018 when the S&P 500 was around 2690 and it is now 2887 - up 7% over the period. I'm up 12% but was much higher. At one point I was was triple the S&P gain. They say it is very hard to beat the market these days. I was down substantially at christmas but held everything through this years run.

Just wondering how others are getting on

I'm talking in total across your portfolio. I started in March 2018 when the S&P 500 was around 2690 and it is now 2887 - up 7% over the period. I'm up 12% but was much higher. At one point I was was triple the S&P gain. They say it is very hard to beat the market these days. I was down substantially at christmas but held everything through this years run.

Just wondering how others are getting on

I hold an S&P ETF, so that might skew my results, but I was up about 26+% overall... Then I bought NIO and didn't sell when that went up 15%, now I'm down on that but still up ~7% overall. About average since I started a year ago.

Kamu wrote: »
    I hold an S&P ETF, so that might skew my results, but I was up about 26+% overall... Then I bought NIO and didn't sell when that went up 15%, now I'm down on that but still up ~7% overall. About average since I started a year ago.

I'd find it very difficult to invest in a loss maker because I wouldn't know when the losses will end. You buy at 3x book value and a year later it could be at 4x book value due to continuous losses. At lease a profitable company has a rising book value to support the share price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm up over 200% with AMD so :P

Although, that is heavily weighted down by -15% in NVDA :(

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'm up over 200% with AMD so :P

Although, that is heavily weighted down by -15% in NVDA :(

Swings and bloody roundabouts, at least the dividend stocks is some money regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Horrible numbers from the U. S today, recession chances rising considerably

"The ISM Services Index hit a 3-year low, missing all estimates", whatever about US manufacturing numbers not looking great (only makes up 11% of GDP), these low service numbers are worrying, the US consumer who has been fueling this bull market looks to be losing steam

The only thing is that with next year being an election year Trump will try everything to get the market flying

Job numbers out tomorrow and if they're poor I'd expect another few percent to be shaved off the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

"The ISM Services Index hit a 3-year low, missing all estimates", whatever about US manufacturing numbers not looking great (only makes up 11% of GDP), these low service numbers are worrying, the US consumer who has been fueling this bull market looks to be losing steam

The only thing is that with next year being an election year Trump will try everything to get the market flying

Trump can't control his mouth, his outbursts will get worse as the election approaches

He looked insane yesterday beside the Finnish PM

Advertisement