Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thargor wrote: »
    Is there one? I read somewhere yesterday that mortgage lending and property sales have gone off a cliff in the US in exactly the way that has predicted 9/10 of the last few recessions. Not much to get excited about on my watch list anyway.

9% off s&p500 ATH.

Even some chinese stocks going well up, BABA up nearly 30% this month.

Then if China deal gets done the markets will rally.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump does whatever he can to get the markets to rally going into the election....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Sick about dropping Facebook and a few others before Christmas, but it had been a dismal year and I needed a fresh start. Rally was predictable, but can't see it being sustained. There is still a lot of talk about property lending and the recession word is still being thrown around.

Could be a year before we see any more signs of a downturn but I'm not prepared to risk it in the short term.

Still holding 5 US stocks for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

MSFT breaking my heart - should have sold last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Sick about dropping Facebook and a few others before Christmas, but it had been a dismal year and I needed a fresh start. Rally was predictable, but can't see it being sustained. There is still a lot of talk about property lending and the recession word is still being thrown around.

Could be a year before we see any more signs of a downturn but I'm not prepared to risk it in the short term.

Still holding 5 US stocks for now.

I've seen RGSE mentioned here a few times. It seems dependent on the US housing numbers which appear under pressure so I stayed away. Am i taking a very simplistic view?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Have held on to FB since getting in at $136...very tempted to sell at this point and just put it in the bank for now.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I've seen RGSE mentioned here a few times. It seems dependent on the US housing numbers which appear under pressure so I stayed away. Am i taking a very simplistic view?

History of reverse splits for a well established firm, most recent conference call says no future splits. California has a new solar mandate, worth googling it. They are manufacturing pretty much an identical product to Tesla, except they are already selling it. Earnings second week of March, might be worth a play heading up to that. Was .88 a few months ago after a random rally, so potential to make a few quid.

Forgot to mention, lots of insider buying too just before Christmas.

Bob Harris wrote: »

National TV commercial rolling out in February apparently.

Amazon up 27% since its December low. I don't go short, but if I did, that would be one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Christ, FB is up 11% today bringing my overall gain to 21%, time to cash out!

• Advertisement

Just hit 20% gain with NIO myself. Hoping for another 1000% with this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Have held on to FB since getting in at $136...very tempted to sell at this point and just put it in the bank for now.

Do no such thing, it's very cheap for the level of growth, its a $250 stock within two years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Do no such thing, it's very cheap for the level of growth, its a $250 stock within two years

What tells you that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Really and how exactly do you measure ‘cheap’ versus growth then? What is the yardstick then?

It is a company with few tangible assets, highly dependent on reputation and social trends for it’s valuation. How are you measuring that risk versus say a recovery in say GE? And what level of return would you require to take on that level of risk?

You are not giving advice, you’re speculating with someone else’s money!

Looking for a gamble, short term 20% plus opportunity, any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Looking for a gamble, short term 20% plus opportunity, any tips?

AVEO! Dropped 60% yesterday due to delays in FDA approval. Already approved in EU. Someone tipped them in the 2018 thread.. Bad day yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Interesting. Will give them a look.
    AVEO! Dropped 60% yesterday due to delays in FDA approval. Already approved in EU. Someone tipped them in the 2018 thread.. Bad day yesterday.

Thanks will do some homework before open

Not sure I would to be honest but you never know. Seems oversold possibly but obviously issues with FDA approval so I'm not convinced. Might be worth the risk now after the drop but I'm not happy anyway.

Things look fairly dire for now, interesting that it's approved in EU and not the other way around. An overreaction maybe but a long wait for recovery. Might dip toes, will see how it is PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Really and how exactly do you measure ‘cheap’ versus growth then? What is the yardstick then?

It is a company with few tangible assets, highly dependent on reputation and social trends for it’s valuation. How are you measuring that risk versus say a recovery in say GE? And what level of return would you require to take on that level of risk?

You are not giving advice, you’re speculating with someone else’s money!

Forward PE is low for a company with such strong growth.

I'm familiar with your ultra orthodox style and philosophy.if Facebook waa $30 with a PE of 5, you would advise against owning it

I did not advocate putting everything in Facebook but it blew away earnings expectations and the massive move yesterday confirmed the recent lows of sub $130 were unwarranted, the poster bought it so must have felt it was undervalued,

.67 now, hard to know what to do. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

.67 now, hard to know what to do. :pac:

yea no bounce at all would be a very bad sign.

.59 now. I’ll see it it looks just before close. Might be worth a small punt.

.59 now. I’ll see it it looks just before close. Might be worth a small punt.

Don't think I would to be honest. I nearly sold last week! Doh. Hding for now as not much worth there anyway at this stage. Not much sales in Europe either.

Don't think I would to be honest. I nearly sold last week! Doh. Hding for now as not much worth there anyway at this stage. Not much sales in Europe either.

In at .59, may as well keep you company !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Interesting. Will give them a look.

They’re down from over 20$ few years ago. What happened ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Forward PE is low for a company with such strong growth.

So because someone analyst came up with a figure it must be right.... When analysts fail to get it right they blame the company for failing to meet their expectations rather than accepting their responsibility for getting it wrong.

And of course your statement fails to address the original question on risk.
    I'm familiar with your ultra orthodox style and philosophy.if Facebook waa $30 with a PE of 5, you would advise against owning it

You don’t know me nor my investing style. And even if you did it should have no influence on your opinion of the company nor your ability to answer the questions posed.
    I did not advocate putting everything in Facebook but it blew away earnings expectations and the massive move yesterday confirmed the recent lows of sub $130 were unwarranted, the poster bought it so must have felt it was undervalued,

That is simply evidence of the crowd mentality. Just because people agree with you does not mean you are right on a valuation.

You did not answer any of the original questions posed nor provided any meaningful insight in the post => to much listen to the talking heads.

Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

AVEO are having the same issue with FDA approval that they had in 2013, a lack of overall survival data, I'd say they will get there eventually so if I was invested then I'd hold on.

On another note, I’ll be keeping an eye on STX tomorrow, earnings report out after market close

• Advertisement

Doubled down on Ryanair at 10.88. Results not terrible. BEP now 10.40.

Advertisement