Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

My problem is I'm not sure what the future of gaming is, you see EAs stock jump nicely recently because they released a game that is competing with Fortnite, my theory is that this is now the future of gaming as far as investors are concerned.

Of course you're still going to have the "hard-core" gamers who have no interest in Fortnite but there are a lot more casual gamers who will play it.

My view is that you're beginning to see a further market differentiation. You'll always have the 'event' games that are akin to blockbuster films from Steven Spielberg - highly anticipated, expensive to make with great art direction, script and gameplay (tomb raider, God of War, The Last of Us etc) and then you'l' have your casual games like Fortnite which are akin to TV series - quick pick up and plays which are all the rage and then ppl move on.

There'll be markets for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

My view is that you're beginning to see a further market differentiation. You'll always have the 'event' games that are akin to blockbuster films from Steven Spielberg - highly anticipated, expensive to make with great art direction, script and gameplay (tomb raider, God of War, The Last of Us etc) and then you'l' have your casual games like Fortnite which are akin to TV series - quick pick up and plays which are all the rage and then ppl move on.

There'll be markets for both.

That's nicely put, but it seems investors are more concerned with the "quick hits" than the blockbusters.

I'm still going to stay long TTWO and Ubisoft, might get some CD Projekt Red as well.

That's nicely put, but it seems investors are more concerned with the "quick hits" than the blockbusters.

I'm still going to stay long TTWO and Ubisoft, might get some CD Projekt Red as well.

I've a small few Square Enix shares (Frankfurt I think) volatile stock, can be up or down 5/7% on a regular basis.Price is currently 27.50, my BEP is 41 so I'm a fair bit in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

RGSE having a decent day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

canonball5 wrote: »

Super day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Katawalah

Just wondering if anyone has some experience with using services from Motley Fool and/or Zacks, or other "insider tips" providers. If so, which one do you use? and would you recommend their paying service for stock tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Katawalah wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has some experience with using services from Motley Fool and/or Zacks, or other "insider tips" providers. If so, which one do you use? and would you recommend their paying service for stock tips?

The problem with all of these sites is that in the end they are peoples opinions. Shares are like football clubs in a lot of ways when you look at the disparity of opinons out there.

As for individual sites, Seeking Alpha articles do seem well researched, Motley Fool, particularly the UK site is like the Daily Mail for shares and I wouldn't touch it.

The old do your own research adage comes to mind but of course at our level any research we do is based on research others have already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I always think these places are good for getting ideas but I wouldn't blindly follow them

The comments section of seeking alpha is particularly dodgy

I wouldn't pay for the motley fool service but their podcasts are quite interesting and factual, available on spotify.

As for seeking alpha, I was on stocktwits and a commenter said they would write and post an article on a certain subject, and sure enough they did, so certain stocks are easily pumped there.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

See micro focus is up 13% atm, nice surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It's at my BEP more or less so inclined to let it sit.
    canonball5 wrote: »

I jumped ship yesterday, was going to let it sit but got out at what I got in at.
    I was reading about companies that get bumped down to OTC, a few but not many make it back. RGSE could well be one that does, it's really only about to get going but I'll watch from the sidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

"Datalex to cut jobs amid cost cutting programme". As expected, auditors results next.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I jumped ship yesterday, was going to let it sit but got out at what I got in at.
    I was reading about companies that get bumped down to OTC, a few but not many make it back. RGSE could well be one that does, it's really only about to get going but I'll watch from the sidelines.

From Degiro...

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Kindly note that DEGIRO will be given instructions in due course as to how clients can tend to these shares. You will be notified as soon as we are updated via email.
    Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Service Desk and we would be happy to assist you.

Will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

AVEO having a bit of action this morning pre-market, bounced up to $0.89 briefly and then had a bit of a sell off, probably those who've been holding for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

XMG wrote: »
    AVEO having a bit of action this morning pre-market, bounced up to $0.89 briefly and then had a bit of a sell off, probably those who've been holding for a while.

Up 20% so far today on good trial update at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

anybody noticed that PaddyPower-Betfair is at a 4 year low of €69.85 in a (Rugby) world cup year and when the USA is opening up for legalized gambling ??

I know there are headwinds with Brexit and FOTB legislation in the UK

but at what price does this Share become appetizing for the speculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im still raging i didnt cash in at €100+ last year after the us announcement.
    As well as brexit, the delayed fobt legislation in the uk will hit them as well, i currently wouldnt be adding to my existing holding as i was initially in at 76

Barclays (BARC) up nicely at opening after bullish results spiel. almost wiped out again now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

anybody noticed that PaddyPower-Betfair is at a 4 year low of €69.85 in a (Rugby) world cup year and when the USA is opening up for legalized gambling ??

I know there are headwinds with Brexit and FOTB legislation in the UK

but at what price does this Share become appetizing for the speculator?

My impressions as an occasional customer is that they are struggling for growth. They've put a lot of downward pressure on their pricing so I find they are rarely a decent price compared to others and their other terms like 1/4 odds or a 1/5 odds for place markets aren't as generous as they were before. Perhaps the growth in people taking up gambling is really slowing after breakneck pace since the late 2000's with phones etc.

All their specials and offers are geared towards trying to get people to bet more often and this is a change from a few years ago but consistent with other bookies (bet 5 different tenner bets a week and you get a free bet).

Also, seems like there are incredibly low barriers to entry in setting up an operation

Kraft Heinz down 25% in the past 24 hours, missed earnings and an SEC investigation.

Regardless I reckon that's an overaction for such a company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kraft Heinz down 25% in the past 24 hours, missed earnings and an SEC investigation.

Regardless I reckon that's an overaction for such a company.
    Careful, many people seem to think it could go all the way to $25 before recovering.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Careful, many people seem to think it could go all the way to $25 before recovering.

Yeah not liguid enough to do anything immediately but have it on my watchlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I've had Kraft Heinz in my portfolio for ages now. Been in the red for pretty much the entire time I've held it, but it's a dividend payer and I figured it couldn't go much lower. More fool me.

Yeah not liguid enough to do anything immediately but have it on my watchlist.

Couldnt resist, this is down to poor management rather than poor sales. Heads will roll, people still need Ketchup! Had a nibble myself, long term its not a risky tech stock so can wait until it turns around. Buffet is said to be down over 3 billion on this and interviewing on Monday,very curious to see what he says then.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

APHA, the noose around my neck, panic sold half on the last dip to $8 now its around 10 and I should be back in the black on it but i'm not, lesson learned. Saving some to BTFD next time..

I've had Kraft Heinz in my portfolio for ages now. Been in the red for pretty much the entire time I've held it, but it's a dividend payer and I figured it couldn't go much lower. More fool me.

"(Kraft-Heinz) slashed its dividend by 22.5 cents to 40 cents a share — a 36% cut" .... :(

Supercell wrote: »

Kraft Heinz seems to be getting support at around $35 now. It was as low as $34.60 at one point. Might have a nibble too :pac:

Warren Buffet has clearly done his due diligence and as long as this is just a Mgmt screw up....the fundamental business is probably still sound....and the bottom line will soon benefit from the synergies of the merger as well.

Sold some stuff to pick up a small position in it, has to be green within months if not weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'M FINALLY IN THE GREEN FOR THE FIRST TIME.

BABA, NIO, & Ryanair the main reason for it. Abbvie holding me back, at -13%.

So what does everyone think about the market? Rally to continue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Kraft Heinz seems to be getting support at around $35 now. It was as low as $34.60 at one point. Might have a nibble too :pac:

Warren Buffet has clearly done his due diligence and as long as this is just a Mgmt screw up....the fundamental business is probably still sound....and the bottom line will soon benefit from the synergies of the merger as well.
    what did Mgmt do?

Advertisement