Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 03-01-2019 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Big love to all the frame manufacturers who decided to make 27.2mm seatposts their standard.

Chrismas day new bike would have been a flop otherwise. New Orbea for my son had a 400mm seatpost which was still too high by the time it hit the inside of the bottle cage bosses.

No problem - Swapped in my Conago's shorter post and got him out for a spin.
    Later on put in the seatpost from his old Frog that he had outgrown.

Yesterday I had to take that back to sell the Frog.

Now I've knicked the seatpost from his mam's Giant.

Lots of "standards" in the bike world but 27.2 rules!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Big love to all the frame manufacturers who decided to make 27.2mm seatposts their standard.

Chrismas day new bike would have been a flop otherwise. New Orbea for my son had a 400mm seatpost which was still too high by the time it hit the inside of the bottle cage bosses.

No problem - Swapped in my Conago's shorter post and got him out for a spin.
    Later on put in the seatpost from his old Frog that he had outgrown.

Yesterday I had to take that back to sell the Frog.

Now I've knicked the seatpost from his mam's Giant.

Lots of "standards" in the bike world but 27.2 rules!

So you dont have a C50 anyway... :) one of the Colnago's with a odd-bod 28mm seat-tube....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cannondale use some oddball 26.X size seat tube and it was the reason I went for my current winter bike (Felt VR30) over a Synapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sbs2010 wrote: »
    .. New Orbea for my son had a 400mm seatpost which was still too high by the time it hit the inside of the bottle cage bosses...
    Why not simply cut off a piece rather than all the swapping about?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Why not simply cut off a piece rather than all the swapping about?

This man speaks sense; that's what is done in all bike shops....sometimes seatposts need to be trimmed back if too long, so that they can get saddles low enough for small/young riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

8valve wrote: »
    This man speaks sense; that's what is done in all bike shops....sometimes seatposts need to be trimmed back if too long, so that they can get saddles low enough for small/young riders.

Indeed - we tell the parents that if the child grows enough to find the cut seat post too short in the future, we'll swap the seat post for an uncut one for free - we then keep the cut ones for new purchases of bikes for younger children :)

However, this only works well because most new bikes' seat posts are the magic number - 27.2

Big love indeed to the manufacturers who (mostly) settled on the same size. It's more convenient these days because of alu frames and hydroforming - in the days of steel, tubes were supplied at fixed diameters and seatposts were made to suit them, resulting in multiple sizes of almost anything between 25.0mm and 31.8mm in 0.2mm increments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I have a Moser steel frame with some barmy size, not sure what but I got driven demented trying different posts, eventually just left it into LBS and collected a week later with post installed.

Advertisement