Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round? - 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

I am in that crazy inbetween of there being a 12-14 shot difference between my practice and competition rounds

Same course last two rounds

Competition
    84, 86

Practice
    72, 74

Differences - clearly being more relaxed & playing faster. Still huge gaps which i need to close soon

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.
    24 points off 14 in Galway bay.
    7 points front and 17 back.
    Lost 5balls on the front 9 and managed to 5 putt from 20 feet. LoL
    Feck it was a nice day and stayed dry.
    Captains prize tomorrow. There couldn't be anymore bad golf in me....... Could there?

Captains prize today. Back tees and very soft so placing on fairways.
    The bad golf is continuing. 50 shots for the front nine and then gave up after losing 2 balls off 13th tee. Bitterly disappointed with my driving which was quiet good but has turned into a ball losing duck hook.
    5 over gross would of got me through to final 9 holes and 70 was leading.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Likely to be last counting comp of the year and I was 5 over after 10 and 11 over after 11. I lost a ball off the tee, then duffed my 3rd off it and an equally bad 4th shot. My 5th shot went out of bounds!! A lovely 10 was the end result! Game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Keano wrote: »
    Likely to be last counting comp of the year

Already?

Or just for yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

75 net in captains final, had 74 last week. Came 4th in my class, missed the prizes by 1 stroke. Played with same ball for 36 holes, quite an achievement for me with a 20 handicap. Poor approach shots killing me. Think I only had a couple of gir in 36 holes, good chipping has saved me a lot recently. Happy enough with my consistency at the moment anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Already?

Or just for yourself?

Just for me. The amount I play is limited enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I suppose I'm just being impatient, but I'm getting frustrated! I took four years off and started playing back this year. After the first two rounds I was optimistic, some good shots, a few pars, a birdie - I could see a game there. After the following three rounds in not so sure :( I was always prone to a slice, but it was probably more of a fade previously. Now it's a big dirty slice. Which makes driving on a windy day impossible. I used to hit my irons very consistently - misses would generally be just off a green. Now I'm worried about water 10 yards left or right of the bunkers. And I'm worried about 3 putts from anywhere.

I think the most frustrating thing that keeps happening now is messing up what should be easy pars. I could get a good drive away down the middle of a par 5 fairway. Green is within range in two, maybe even with a 5 or 6 iron. And without trying to do anything stupid, I come away with a 7. Or I'm on or beside a green in regulation with a tricky two putt / up and down. And somehow I end up having a tricky putt back for the bogey.

I played off 11, now I'd be closer to 28!

Sorry, I'm pretty sure I may wanted to rant!!!

So anyone else come back after time off? Did it take long to get back to close to your previous standard?

It’ll take time. You are still thinking you are playing off 11 and expecting a lot from your game. The game is hard enough even for those playing every week so coming back after 4 years it could 6-12 months to build up any form of consistency

blue note wrote: »
    I suppose I'm just being impatient, but I'm getting frustrated! I took four years off and started playing back this year. After the first two rounds I was optimistic, some good shots, a few pars, a birdie - I could see a game there. After the following three rounds in not so sure :( I was always prone to a slice, but it was probably more of a fade previously. Now it's a big dirty slice. Which makes driving on a windy day impossible. I used to hit my irons very consistently - misses would generally be just off a green. Now I'm worried about water 10 yards left or right of the bunkers. And I'm worried about 3 putts from anywhere.

I think the most frustrating thing that keeps happening now is messing up what should be easy pars. I could get a good drive away down the middle of a par 5 fairway. Green is within range in two, maybe even with a 5 or 6 iron. And without trying to do anything stupid, I come away with a 7. Or I'm on or beside a green in regulation with a tricky two putt / up and down. And somehow I end up having a tricky putt back for the bogey.

So anyone else come back after time off? Did it take long to get back to close to your previous standard?

Went through something similar recently. The problem was with my grip. I'm right handed so I gripped with my fingers and made sure I could see the knuckles of first three fingers of my left hand and then put my right hand into a very strong position (feels like the back of my hand is pointed towards my face).

After that I tried to envisage lifting the club up in the backswing rather than pulling it backaround my body

might help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A solid weekend of golf, again playing at my handicap level, but just missing out on a small cut (CSS on the qualifier of 73, and on the final day of 72, identical to my scores).

Was the final of the Captains Prize. I came in to the day sitting at 1 over, but only 8 people were under par after the qualifier so I knew I was in the mix.

Started off with one of the most stupid things I've ever done on a course. Stuck the ball in to the tee box, but didn't take a practice swing over it. Never realised there was a bush overhanging the tee box & clipped a branch on my backswing which threw off my drive :o Could only laugh & try move on. Its a par 5, so plenty of hole to recover, and managed to end up greenside in 3 after 2 good recovery shots. Hit a poor chip & ended up making a bogey, but a decent start after an embarrassing first shot.

After that I played solid golf for most of the way around. Chipping & putting were a bit of a let down & cost me a chance of an overall win.

Had one piece of bad luck. After a poor drive, I was taking my medicine & trying to knock out from under the trees. Hit an OK shot, but a lump of branch hit the ground as my ball was ball was travelling under it & took all the pace off the ball & left me overhung by a branch. Cost me the only double-bogey of the day.

Standing on the last was +11 (playing off 10). Its a long dogleg right par 5, with some tall trees on the corner, so a realistic 3 shot hole from the medal tees. Hit an OK drive up the left side, just off the fairway, so was in a decent position. Knocked a hybrid up around the corner, leaving around 145yrds in. Wind was blowing straight in, so clubbed up & knocked an iron to about 15 feet. Rolled in about my only decent putt of the day to finish with a birdie & back to +10 & level for the day.

Finished with 145. Winning score on the day was 142, so it was within my sights.

Got the nice news that evening though that I'd won Class 1 by 1 stroke, so the birdie on the last made a big difference.

Sun was shining all day, and played with the guy who ended up winning Class 2. He made an outrageous number of up & downs on the day with a few super sand saves.

Overall a great weekends golfing. Sorry to the Boards guys for not making Carlow.

More of a course review but played an open in Grange golf club yesterday and unfortunately the round took about 4.5 hours for the par 68 course. I was with a member and he said this is definitely not the norm which is fair enough. Had 33 points, happy with that considering I usually play poorly when playing a course for the first time. It is well maintained. Greens, fairways, bunkers etc were all in immaculate condition. Negatives for me were that it seemed quite cramped in places with greens often only being a few yards from tee boxes, even having to wait to tee off while someone is putting and vice versa. On more than one occasion my playing partners and other groups I saw nearly hit people teeing off with their approach shots, I kept taking a club less or not full hitting in fear of doing the same. There is a lot of forgettable holes too but it does have 6 more which weren't in play that are apparently better. I guess I'm being overly critical because of how much it is to become a member there. I expected more but I realise that it's mainly down to location, demand, facilities and excellent maintenance. If it wasn't 15k(or something like that) joining fee or pavilion membership suited me then I would happily be a member there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

41 pts off 12 today

7 over par Total, +5 on front and + 2 on back. And the +2 was a 5 on a par 3😳

Put it all down to my new Taylor Made putter( same one Rory uses)

Best game this year.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

35 points off 19 -

1 birdie
    5 pars
    7 bogies
    1 double
    4 trebles

Only 1 point obviously for the trebles which is massive disappointment

Treble 1 - 2 duffed chips (third was hardly inspiring)
    Treble 2 - lost two balls (and I put away the hybrids)
    Treble 3 - bad lie in bunker went way to far into another bad lie and disaster
    Treble 4 - was putting downhill from a foot. was afraid to put it cup outside like I thought, ended up with a 15 foot back up and missed

Big round been coming for a while but only two chances left before holidays

Last 6 qualifying rounds before this have been 36, 33, 35, 38, 36, 33. So 7 rounds with no 0.1 back but only 0.3 cut.

This form will be good under the new handicap but frustrating as hell under current CONGU rules

On the handicap point here is my handicap since club move

handicap.png

Obviously the rounds where flat, are since the 38 and scores would be slightly higher as I am just back to 19 after todays result

Played Last Saturday
    34 Points and a .1 back to bring me up to 17.5/ 18playing HC
    Played rough enough with a lot of 3 putts

htNHWOe.png

Played Today
    40 points which gets me down to 16.6/17HC , new lowest exact HC

88Rn8oM.png

Two scratches were purely bad golf. Both were in good position off the tee.

First I had 175 into the wind,over a tree about 80yds in front off an uphill lie. Plan was to cut a 3i.
    Well, I duffed it,got stuck behind the tree. Punch cut that just caught the greenside bunker instead of the shoulder of the green. Bladed it out, poor chip back from a bad lie and missed the putt.

Second was similar, drove it right side of fairway. Big tree in the middle so had to go over from 135yds. Cut a 9 up and just didn't launch it high enough and caught a few leaves that killed it. 80yds bladed wedge to the back, bad chip from a bare lie,second chip was better and left it sitting on the edge of the cup for a 6.

I got two new wedges (black MD3's :cool: ) but noticed they are 1/2" shorter so I have to get that sorted, may be the reason for the thin wedges today. I could spend time and adjust, and a better player could have no problem but I like the feel of my old ones, just wanted something sexy with new grooves.

Pro is on holiday but lesson when he gets back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

At last broke SS for 1st time this year..38pts off 9 in a gale..9 pars,2doubles,2birds and 5 bogies, 79 gross best of the day and a win to boot.onwards and downwards (with the h/c) I hope.

27 off 14 in society outing. 6 scratches caused by woeful driving and worse 2nd and 3rd shots compounding. Looking towards mid Sept when I get new clubs, win and not get cut.... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played my first round at Royal Portrush today of the very favourable members tees. Wind was fairly tough, little to no rain.

Started nicely with a 4 iron threaded down the middle with out of bounds left and right. Pitching wedge, 2 putt par.

Highlights

- birdies on 8 and 10
    - green in reg, 2 putt par at calamity corner
    - every provisional was straight down the middle :-)
    - green fee saving of £170

Low points

- a complete mess of all the par 5s. Poor shots and 2 lost balls resulting in double or worse
    - 4 x 3 putts

27 points off 6.
    35 in our 4 ball better ball team with my 8 h/c partner. 90% handicaps.
    Didn't score on 5 holes.

If i get the opportunity again I'd get to the course earlier for a proper warm up and plenty chipping/putting as the facilities are pretty good as you'd expect.

Views on 5th green are unbelievable. Would rank it above RCD, ballyliffin and portstewart from my northernly links golf experience.

A complete tale of 2 9s yesterday playing in the medal.

Out in +10, back in +1, so should be a buffer hit off 10. With all my shots gone after 9 holes, I was sure 0.1 was on the cards.

Played much better than the scoring suggested, pace with the putter cost me massively. Had 4-5 putts perfectly on line stop within 6 inches short of the hole. So a touch more pace & id be easily a few shots lower.

Was considerably better off the tee than I was lost weekend & irons still going well. Short game & putting just not firing on all cylinders these days

• Advertisement

37 points off 20. No cut as css was playing about 37. Thought something special was happening when I parred the first 4 holes but I unravelled a bit after that. I even hit the par 5 5th in regulation but proceeded to 4 putt for a double bogey. That's something like 6th week in a row now I've been playing to my handicap which is good I suppose. I keep getting the usual 'your handicap should be much lower' from my playing partners. I do feel like I should be lower but there is always a few blow up holes in each round. Just need to cut down the mistakes and I'll hopefully hit 18 by end of year(my start of year target)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

37 points off 20. No cut as css was playing about 37. Thought something special was happening when I parred the first 4 holes but I unravelled a bit after that. I even hit the par 5 5th in regulation but proceeded to 4 putt for a double bogey. That's something like 6th week in a row now I've been playing to my handicap which is good I suppose. I keep getting the usual 'your handicap should be much lower' from my playing partners. I do feel like I should be lower but there is always a few blow up holes in each round. Just need to cut down the mistakes and I'll hopefully hit 18 by end of year(my start of year target)

My golf twin!!!

Just in from playing Junior Scr cup in Newbridge, shot 81 gross,9s of 44&37 for 72 nett off 9, first time playing from back tees there, great course,it's just a bit far from me to join

Played a scratch cup today.
    36 holes split in 9s as follows.

+10
    +2
    +1
    +5

18 consecutive holes in +3 but not in same round, funny old game. 5 behind 1st place in junior scratch.
    Failure to gain speed of greens in first 6 holes killed my chances, putter was still a bit cold in 2nd round but played a lot tidier!
    Small cut of 0.2 for second round.

Played a scratch cup today.
    36 holes split in 9s as follows.

+10
    +2
    +1
    +5

18 consecutive holes in +3 but not in same round, funny old game. 5 behind 1st place in junior scratch.
    Failure to gain speed of greens in first 6 holes killed my chances, putter was still a bit cold in 2nd round but played a lot tidier!
    Small cut of 0.2 for second round.

Where was the Scr cup

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Where was the Scr cup

Foyle in Derry City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played Saturday in the club stableford comp. hadn't played for 3 weeks and it showed.
    11points on the front
    18points on the back.

Struggled with the driver, it was either high right or dead straight and I had no idea why it was happening.
    Need to get back playing regular to improve. Thought I would make single figures this year but not to be by the looks of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Oh what could have been. Played Lady Capt Prize to Men on Saturday and threw it it away on 3-4 bad holes. I was only +4 through 9 playing off of 16. First time ever with 9 holes sub 40.

I managed 5 pars on the back nine too but still ended +14 in total for a 86 net 70. I would have been overjoyed with that usually but considering where I was I was sick about it. The last 5 holes were Par, +4, Par, Par, Par.

1 birdie
    9 pars
    4 bogeys
    2 double
    1 triple
    1 quad

Got cut anyway so now down to 15.2

38 points in presidents off 19. Won class. Winner

2 birdies
    3 pars
    9 pars
    2 doubles
    2 trebles

One treble on each 9. Both really poor on index 14 and index 15

Got cut to 18.6 so only 0.1 off year start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Anyone ever count what their score should have been?

I had 37pts for .2 cut on Sunday.
    However I threw away a full 13 shots.

4 shots thrown with 2 lost balls on consecutive holes.
    6 shots lost by failing to get up and down either from just off the green or by failing to 2 putt from on the green in what should be two putt range.
    1 chop out sideways
    1 unlucky roll back into fairway bunker then poorly executed gaining only metres.
    1 missed 5 footer on the last.

So it should have been 50 points :pac:

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Anyone ever count what their score should have been?

I had 37pts for .2 cut on Sunday.
    However I threw away a full 13 shots.

4 shots thrown with 2 lost balls on consecutive holes.
    6 shots lost by failing to get up and down either from just off the green or by failing to 2 putt from on the green in what should be two putt range.
    1 chop out sideways
    1 bump out of bunker gaining only metres.
    1 missed 5 footer on the last.

So it should have been 50 points :pac:

whats your handicap?

willabur wrote: »
    whats your handicap?

Are you asking what's my handicap or what my handicap should be? :pac:

Are you asking what's my handicap or what my handicap should be? :pac:

Was 9, back to just inside 8 after the .2 cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

And what should it be? :P

etxp wrote: »
    And what should it be? :P

plus 6, I calculate :D

• Advertisement

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

I wanna be able to get up and down.

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

I wanna be able to get up and down.

Hmmm, if you are getting 37 points of 8 with 2 lost balls (2 holes) and lost shots on 6 or 7 other holes... you must have made a string of birdies elsewhere on the course. Sounds like your game is in pretty good nick tbh

willabur wrote: »
    Hmmm, if you are getting 37 points of 8 with 2 lost balls (2 holes) and lost shots on 6 or 7 other holes... you must have made a string of birdies elsewhere on the course. Sounds like your game is in pretty good nick tbh

My long game is in great shape at the moment plus there's five par 5's on the course so good opportunities to reach some greens in 2 hits where three putting or failure to get up and down still gets a par.

I tend to dwell on my poor shots.
    Just the single birdy on the day.
    11 pars
    3 bogey
    2 doubles
    and a scratch

35(17/18) off 23 after not picking up a club since last week in July so happy enough. Driving was a bit off, was going mostly straight but high so losing a lot of distance. Not quite how I hoped season would go but hopefully a few weeks left to get handicap down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

40 points off 23 on Sunday and 4th win of the year (and 4th cut - down to 21 from a high of 25) playing with awec of the rugby forum. Just one of those rounds where no major mistakes were made; didn't go through a hole without scoring at least a point.

• Advertisement

It's starting to come together thank god! Played last weekend and finally hit the ball like I remember. I was beginning to think I was imaging my old game. And I submitted my first card for a handicap. +22 and I'm happy out with it! Contained a triple and quadruple bogey, so it'll probably be like at as +19. I was surprised that they never asked what handicap I was though. Maybe they will when I drop the three cards in.

It's starting to come together thank god! Played last weekend and finally hit the ball like I remember. I was beginning to think I was imaging my old game. And I submitted my first card for a handicap. +22 and I'm happy out with it! Contained a triple and quadruple bogey, so it'll probably be like at as +19. I was surprised that they never asked what handicap I was though. Maybe they will when I drop the three cards in.
    New rules on initial handicap allotment allow double par now. So where your score on a hole would have been dropped back to double bogey, now it's a max of double par. I.e 8 on a par 4, 6 on a par 3 etc.
    Most handicaps are allocated by software now, based on the rules. Obviously committees can override the software allocation and they are also obliged to take into account your previous golfing history (if any), and that can form the basis of a reduced handicap from what the software spits out.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

prawnsambo wrote: »
    New rules on initial handicap allotment allow double par now. So where your score on a hole would have been dropped back to double bogey, now it's a max of double par. I.e 8 on a par 4, 6 on a par 3 etc.
    Most handicaps are allocated by software now, based on the rules. Obviously committees can override the software allocation and they are also obliged to take into account your previous golfing history (if any), and that can form the basis of a reduced handicap from what the software spits out.

I would certainly hope committees override where appropriate, age, previous experience etc...

Remind me wrote: »
    I would certainly hope committees override where appropriate, age, previous experience etc...

Last thing you'd want is to get a handicap that's too high for you and then start winning competitions immediately. But the rules are the rules. And I'd rather not get a handicap that I can't play to in fairness, so my previous handicap would be too low.

Last thing you'd want is to get a handicap that's too high for you and then start winning competitions immediately. But the rules are the rules. And I'd rather not get a handicap that I can't play to in fairness, so my previous handicap would be too low.

Agreed but if you have previously played regularly and are still able bodied and young and in a position to improve I think the new system has to have the facility to override an inflated handicap.

Wasn’t targeting this specifically at you, just in general I hope there is some scope for common sense.

42 points off 14 in casual round.
    2 birdies
    9 pars
    3 bogeys
    2 dbl bogeys
    2 scratches.
    Scratches were due to lost ball off drives. Course management should if told me to hit iron off tee instead of driver.

A too high handicap can be quickly corrected. A too low one, not so much. A lot of people seem to miss that point. In any event, it's all changing next year with the new World handicap rules.

A too high handicap can be quickly corrected. A too low one, not so much. A lot of people seem to miss that point. In any event, it's all changing next year with the new World handicap rules.

End of year reviews regularly give shots back

There is definitely a balancing act to it though. In my place there have, to my mind, been a few excessive handicaps given out. We had a guy, early-mid 30s, fit & healthy, given a start handicap of 33, which means he had to break 105 strokes to beat his handicap.

I know he's relatively new to the game, would have played a little society golf, but nothing beyond that. To my mind that's too high a start point.

He'll drop quickly (down 3 strokes already) but is it fair that someone will likely win a bunch of comps on a quick drop down like that?

Mods...Sorry for the off topic post

Lost the Match Play final tonight on the 19th

I was two down after the 15th and pulled it back, lipped the putt for the win on 18 and then lipped the putt to keep the match going on the 19th.

It was a good match, we were both two up at different times and it was pretty back and forth. I expected him to make putts from everywhere ( and he missed very few ) and he expected me to chip it close which I did with a few lip out chips and a chip in birdie.

Just needed some putts to drop but really happy with how I played over all. 4 over for the front 9. I conceded a hole on the back 9 I could have made double on ( he made an easy par) which would have me 7 over for the back 9. He made the scores when he needed to and just overall very solid.

*Forgot two shots on the back 9, still happy

• Advertisement
Advertisement