Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family holiday in Scotland. Any good?

• 03-01-2019 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Good day all,

Has anyone ever gone to Scotland for summer holidays with 3 kids. Was wondering about the weather and activities for kids... One is a teenager and others are 6 and 9.

Was looking at 12 days there on the West Coast.

I am not a major sun holiday enthusiast but a load of rain ain't exactly fun.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Good day all,

Has anyone ever gone to Scotland for summer holidays with 3 kids. Was wondering about the weather and activities for kids... One is a teenager and others are 6 and 9.

Was looking at 12 days there on the West Coast.

I am not a major sun holiday enthusiast but a load of rain ain't exactly fun.

Thanks in advance

...then I'd rule Scotland off the list!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Scotlands great. If you want the weather you'll need to be lucky on the west coast it's always colder and wetter than the east coast.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My limited experience of the west coast of Scotland is it's very variable - when you're lucky you get phenomenal days, but even then it can change within an hour or two. And, well, when you're unlucky you get windy, wet weather.

Summer in Scotland isn't a complete washout, though - June can be a bit variable (and occasionally downright rainy) in Edinburgh and the East Coast, for example, but July and August are generally pretty good. Last year was particularly good, with the nice thing being temperatures generally top out around 27-30.

I'd recommend you check out VisitScotland's Family Breaks page, and maybe play around with their holiday planner tool. It'll give you a better idea of whether you'll find something suitable.

Here's a short video from VS to inspire you:

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

If you are thinking of the West Coast and the kids are into wildlife then I would recommend going to the Isle of Mull (ferry from Oban).

On Mull, you have eagles (both Golden and Sea), otters and seals. You can also take a trip out to the Treshnish islands and get up close and personal with Puffins.

From Mull you can also do trips to Iona and Staffa (Fingals cave).

Your kids may even recognise Tobermory - it was the setting for the children's program (Balamory).

The link below gives things for kids to do if the weather turns bad.

https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/north-scotland/argyll-and-bute/oban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You'd fit in loads on the West Coast.
    The Isle of Harris is a place I have to get to (I live in Scotland so don't really have excuses).
    Arran is lovely too but really busy in summer (and full of midgies).

If you get weather like we had last summer though, the beaches on the islands may as well be on the Continent.

Advertisement