Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cinema in Cork?

Options
  • 03-01-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi I'm new to Cork and was wondering which cinema is best? I live near Blackpool but was told this cinema is a bit run down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Hi I'm new to Cork and was wondering which cinema is best? I live near Blackpool but was told this cinema is a bit run down.

Nothing wrong with the one in Blackpool it’s my local one. Recently updated the seats so most of the bigger screens have recliners now. Food is just as good as anywhere and it’s cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi, Mahon Point Omniplex is the best cinema in the city - a bit difficult to get to from Blackpool if you don't drive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

leahyl wrote: »
    Hi, Mahon Point Omniplex is the best cinema in the city - a bit difficult to get to from Blackpool if you don't drive though.

Mahon is much better but I'm not sure it's worth the journey if you lived in Blackpool. The "VIP" seats are an extra €1 but it's well worth it and put it close to comfort and leg room of mahon.
    The only reason I'd make the trip to mahon worth it would be to see something on the IMAX screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

leahyl wrote: »

It's actually surprisingly easy, just jump on the 215 bus and settle in for a good hour. Easy, not quick. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

The best is easily Mahon; but it costs more and you’ve to get out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Mahon Point is currently the best cinema in the city but if I couldn't easily get out to Mahon I wouldn't make the extra effort to get there if there was a closer cinema.

On a side note I'd love to see something along the lines of the Stella in Dublin in Cork. I've been to the Stella a few times in Dublin and it has always been a great experience and something I don't mind paying a little extra for. I've found myself getting the bus out to Rathmines to go to the Stella than just go to the cinema on O'Connell street. Cork had lots of old cinemas, it would be great to see one of them restored and offering something a bit different to the multiplex experience but I'm not sure if we have the population/demand to sustain such an offering. I hope the Regal in Youghal is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Omniplex is the best but it is the most expensive.

The €6 deal on Tuesday is a good deal but its also one of the busiest nights because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Mahon Point is currently the best cinema in the city but if I couldn't easily get out to Mahon I wouldn't make the extra effort to get there if there was a closer cinema.

On a side note I'd love to see something along the lines of the Stella in Dublin in Cork. I've been to the Stella a few times in Dublin and it has always been a great experience and something I don't mind paying a little extra for. I've found myself getting the bus out to Rathmines to go to the Stella than just go to the cinema on O'Connell street. Cork had lots of old cinemas, it would be great to see one of them restored and offering something a bit different to the multiplex experience but I'm not sure if we have the population/demand to sustain such an offering. I hope the Regal in Youghal is doing well.

Have seen the Stella online and will try to get to the next time I'm in Dublin. Would the Triskel rate anywhere close?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All the old cinemas are gutted and used for other things, apart from the upper floor of the Savoy lying bone idle. The Triskel is good for something other than the current superhero fare, bring a cushion though..

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Have seen the Stella online and will try to get to the next time I'm in Dublin. Would the Triskel rate anywhere close?

They're two different offerings really. The Stella shows more mainstream movies but with an old school luxury vibe. You wouldn't be going there every week for your cinema fix but it's lovely every once in a while as a treat.
    All the old cinemas are gutted and used for other things, apart from the upper floor of the Savoy lying bone idle. The Triskel is good for something other than the current superhero fare, bring a cushion though..

It's a shame more didn't survive considering how many one screen cinemas Cork once had. I haven't been to the Savoy since my college days but I can only imagine it was a beautiful place for a big screen at one time. A beautifully designed cinema can really add to the atmosphere of a movie and really add to the overall experience. The multi screen places are grand but they're a bit sterile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

.red. wrote: »
    The only reason I'd make the trip to mahon worth it would be to see something on the IMAX screen.

It's not IMAX, it's their knock-off "MAXX" - it's a bigger screen, but still only a 2K projector, and because it's bigger you can see the pixels. Hard to justify the extra cost, and the first four or so rows are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They're two different offerings really. The Stella shows more mainstream movies but with an old school luxury vibe. You wouldn't be going there every week for your cinema fix but it's lovely every once in a while as a treat.

It's a shame more didn't survive considering how many one screen cinemas Cork once had. I haven't been to the Savoy since my college days but I can only imagine it was a beautiful place for a big screen at one time. A beautifully designed cinema can really add to the atmosphere of a movie and really add to the overall experience. The multi screen places are grand but they're a bit sterile.

I don't think you would get enough custom for more indie cinemas what with ball busting rates and overheads. Does the Kino have many showings? It's a multi use venue which makes it a bit more versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

It's not IMAX, it's their knock-off "MAXX" - it's a bigger screen, but still only a 2K projector, and because it's bigger you can see the pixels. Hard to justify the extra cost, and the first four or so rows are useless.

Agreed, I am not a fan of both the MAXX screens layout. Wtf was the point in putting the entrance slap bang in the middle of the room?

I like to book and view showings from the rear centre of the screen for maximum viewing pleasure, rows A-H are not great as the screen is so large and your looking up getting a crick in your neck. J-Q seating is offset to either side because off the entrance through the middle...why not put the entrance at either sides, frustrating.

attachment.php?attachmentid=480640&stc=1&d=1558210816

Advertisement