Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks in Tallaght Hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

can them kind of people walk outside of the hospital to the square?

Oh yes, send the terminally ill to the Square to give them a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Oh yes, send the terminally ill to the Square to give them a break.

i was answering back someone who said that they might be up there visiting patients who want a nice cup of coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Hospital patients? Probably not, no. Relatives visiting, I see no harm in facilitating them within the hospital. Makes a nice change from sitting in the room with the patient they are visiting, for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'd be more concerned about the lack of beds in Tallaght hospital than what's going on with the coffee options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

It's good to see Startbucks is supporting the nation's health by putting hospitals in it's shops. Hopefully the HSE takes a few lessons from how they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

says someone who most probably earns a decent wage and dont have to conserve their money and make it stretch in life :)

Oh i wish... be lucky to get 30k when i finish uni

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There's a Supermacs in UHG.

It's actually law in Galway that there must be a Supermacs every 100 metres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If you're staying in the hospital you can have all the tea and coffee you want for free, they also feed you.

The Starbucks is predominantly used by people visiting as well as staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Sham, yer fierce lettin Sligo down wit dese treads.

Why does Starbucks make so many people mad?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Sham, yer fierce lettin Sligo down wit dese treads.

Why does Starbucks make so many people mad?

Dunno lol. Its just a coffee shop ljke costa or insomnia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

It was tendered for about two years ago and it was BaxterStorey who won it and operate it under the "We Proudly Serve Starbucks" brand.

The hospital gets a % cut of all turnover (turnover, not just profit).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Chinasea wrote: »
    See if they sell full-stops, capital letters and the odd coma.

Oh, and periods. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    People may be staying long hours or days visiting loved ones in hospital, often leaving in a hurry so that bringing prepared food and drinks is not an opinion. Having the extra financial stress is just not welcome at times like this.

It's a cup of coffee, not a bloody mortgage.

Berserker wrote: »
    It's a cup of coffee, not a bloody mortgage.

its a bit of hot water and a few coffee beans - it dont have to be fermented for years like alcohol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I would never eat and drink in a hospital cafe, canteen. Don't care how clean it is. Patients no fault of their own with god knows what sicknesses are going in there and sitting there sneezing and coughing on the tables. All those coffee cups and plates are sitting there day and night with bacteria and viruses flying through the air. You have to appreciate that a hospital is a place of sickness, it's not a social environment therefore eating there would have to be a last resort.
    In tallaght hospital when my Dad got sick, I seen all sorts of unfortunately sick individuals in the canteen there, they are not barred from going in or anything because they are sick. If you catch a cold or worse, meningitis or something else nasty from sitting at a not so properly cleaned table with saliva fragments on the table edges from the previous occupier then it is what it is. A lot of people go into hospital with one sickness and end up catching another type of sickness while in there.

i'm going back years now .. but our local hospital cafe (if you could call it that, it was just a couple of tables and some chairs at an entrance) was run by the WRVS ladies and it was a big pot of (stewed) tea and 50p a cup of tea and 80p a cup of (instant maxwell house) coffee - and then just sold some home made fairy cakes/queen cakes and home made cookies and other biscuits - it was grand, done the job and was affordable ... and hospital car parks were free to park in - different times/era I suppose but thats how it used to be done in the hospitals for years none of these designer fancy places they werent around then...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

Chinasea wrote: »
    See if they sell full-stops, capital letters and the odd coma.

Comma perhaps.

I would never eat and drink in a hospital cafe, canteen. Don't care how clean it is. Patients no fault of their own with god knows what sicknesses are going in there and sitting there sneezing and coughing on the tables. All those coffee cups and plates are sitting there day and night with bacteria and viruses flying through the air. You have to appreciate that a hospital is a place of sickness, it's not a social environment therefore eating there would have to be a last resort.
    In tallaght hospital when my Dad got sick, I seen all sorts of unfortunately sick individuals in the canteen there, they are not barred from going in or anything because they are sick. If you catch a cold or worse, meningitis or something else nasty from sitting at a not so properly cleaned table with saliva fragments on the table edges from the previous occupier then it is what it is. A lot of people go into hospital with one sickness and end up catching another type of sickness while in there.

your right .

I am not a fan of hospital staff sharing a canteen with the general public and patients/outpatients but this is allowed too - Hospital staff should have their own hospital staff canteen , seperate from the patients/visitors to the hospital thats what I think.

i'm going back years now .. but our local hospital cafe (if you could call it that, it was just a couple of tables and some chairs at an entrance) was run by the WRVS ladies and it was a big pot of (stewed) tea and 50p a cup of tea and 80p a cup of (instant maxwell house) coffee - and then just sold some home made fairy cakes/queen cakes and home made cookies and other biscuits - it was grand, done the job and was affordable ... and hospital car parks were free to park in - different times/era I suppose but thats how it used to be done in the hospitals for years none of these designer fancy places they werent around then...

Calling Starbucks a fancy designer place is stretching it a fair bit.

I'm not into Starbucks myself but I'd much rather anything they offer to a stewed cup of tea and a homemade fairy cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Also Starbucks make the worst simple cup of tea you could possibly imagine.

I asked for “normal tea” and got told it was English Breakfast tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There's a Supermacs in UHG.

Fake news. There is a supermacs across the road from UHG. It’s next to a MixtGreens salad bar, Subway and Mr Waffle cafe among other options.

A lot of posters are forgetting that staff need to eat and drink too. There are a couple of premium price coffee shops in UHG that are used by staff as well as patients/visitors. It possibly would be cheaper to walk into city to get coffee but a ten minute coffee break doesn’t allow for that.

no wonder hospital staff keep having the odd strike over poor pay then if they regularly have to pay to have their lunch and breaks in a starbucks restaurant with the price they charge! - or do the hospital staff get heavy discounts?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

no wonder hospital staff keep having the odd strike over poor pay then if they regularly have to pay to have their lunch and breaks in a starbucks restaurant with the price they charge! - or do the hospital staff get heavy discounts?

No. And they can choose not to eat there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Numerous posters have pointed you in the direction of the dining room/ canteen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Numerous posters have pointed you in the direction of the dining room/ canteen
    It closes daily at 3pm.

It closes daily at 3pm.

The staff canteen ?

The staff canteen ?

is there a separate canteen for the staff and public then in Tallaght Hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

dont think anyone has answered this yet - but are there any vending machines up at Tallaght Hospital for sandwiches/biscuits/bars of sweets like twix etc along with budget price tea and coffee? - or is it just cafes in there?

There are vending machines beside lifts on the 3rd floor. Not sure what's in them though

Never worked there but any hospital I worked in had an after hours canteen with microwaves , coffee etc. Many night staff bring there own meals and re heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Never worked there but any hospital I worked in had an after hours canteen with microwaves , coffee etc. Many night staff bring there own meals and re heat
    Yup, night staff have to eat and drink too. A (small ) hospital I worked in years ago gave night staff the option of pre-ordering their late/night shift meals which would be waiting for them in a fridge that only they could access.

Advertisement