Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks in Tallaght Hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yup, night staff have to eat and drink too. A (small ) hospital I worked in years ago gave night staff the option of pre-ordering their late/night shift meals which would be waiting for them in a fridge that only they could access.

I worked nights in a very busy hospital and I always had something with me as we often didn't get time to eat until well into the night ! A quick breakfast bar kept us topped up on many a night

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Yup, night staff have to eat and drink too. A (small ) hospital I worked in years ago gave night staff the option of pre-ordering their late/night shift meals which would be waiting for them in a fridge that only they could access.

I worked night in a very busy hospital and I always had something with me as we often didn't get time to eat until well into the night ! A quick breakfast bar kept us topped up on many a night
    Yup, worn that t shirt too. Starting my shift at 8 pm. First chance to catch my breath at 1am. Pre ordered salad still in the fridge at 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

heroics wrote: »
    There are vending machines beside lifts on the 3rd floor. Not sure what's in them though

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there really a Starbucks or starbucks like coffee shop in Tallaght Hospital???

do me a favour!

you go to them type bloody places when your out on a day out shopping and you are used to paying out for food/drink but not when your visiting patients in a bleeding hospital for gods sakes.

yep I understand the other cafe is a volunteer run one and that it closes about 3 or 4pm and fair enough there most probably was a need for a commercial cafe so it could open later ... but are you saying a non-chain (which some would say have high rip-off charges) cafe with reasonable prices couldn't have run it instead?

So along with high price for parking and now a high priced place for a bite to eat in the hospital out of the volunteer run cafe I presume it costs ye an arm and a leg now to go visit someone in Tallaght Hospital these days? - mind you if you come over feeling ill after paying 15euro for a sandwich and a coffee at least your in the right place!

What's the problem?

If you're that bothered, go to the supermarket before the hospital.

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the problem?

If you're that bothered, go to the supermarket before the hospital.

um the underlying problem is that a Starbucks / costa / whatever should not be allowed to set up inside a hospital (won tender) in the first place (IMO) and should go to a commercial independent cafe owner that was going to charge reasonable charges for beverages and snacks. Its a hospital at the end of the day (and HSE one at that) and not a bloody shopping centre or retail park!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

um the underlying problem is that a Starbucks / costa / whatever should not be allowed to set up inside a hospital (won tender) in the first place (IMO) and should go to a commercial independent cafe owner that was going to charge reasonable charges for beverages and snacks. Its a hospital at the end of the day (and HSE one at that) and not a bloody shopping centre or retail park!
    Did you miss where the hospital take a percentage of the turnover?

And that there are other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Franchisees should be entitled as anyone to offer to fulfill a service

Either way I doubt such arbitrary rules would stand up to scrutiny where public procurement is concerned

I don't get the problem ? Just walk passed it and carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I work in a hospital with a Starbucks. I love having it there. Gives you a few minutes away from work and I personally quite like some of their coffees. If you want a cheap coffee the canteen has it for €1 or there abouts. I'd be gutted if it moved at this stage to be honest, and I'd say the majority of users are staff.

Maybe less concern about who makes the coffee and more concern about the corridor full of trollies in A and E ? Now that is a real and relevant worry

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Did you miss where the hospital take a percentage of the turnover?

And that there are other options?

i dont know anything about ethics of it -

do you mean it would be OK for something like a Cigarette shop or an off licence to open up inside a hospital as long as the hospital are taking a percentage of the turnover?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

do you mean it would be OK for something like a Cigarette shop or an off licence to open up inside a hospital as long as the hospital are taking a percentage of the turnover?

That's a different argument unless now you're saying you have a problem with the sale of coffee on ethical or health grounds now.

If I was from Sligo I'd be starting a petition to make you change your username

It provides an income for the hospital, as they own the space the business is operated from.

It wouldn't be the case that you could open a tobacconists or a bottle shop on the premises, as, aside from the obvious issues, there would be little demand for that on a hospital premises by visitors or staff, unlike general refreshments.

If you find the cost prohibitive or the goods unpalatable, there is the option of using the canteen.

I really don't get the problem here. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you drink a skinny pumpkin latte with a double choc chip cookie on the side on pain of death. You have alternatives. It's not compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Having been in tallaght hospital for over a week with a sick child I have to say I found all the options for food pretty brutal in the hospital itself.

Starbucks food was expensive and tbh cr@p. What happened to normal sandwiches like plain ham and cheese/ chicken and stuffing/ Blt etc. The ready made sandwiches in the shop were no better.

The canteen in fairness was more reasonable priced but the food wasn’t great. It also closes at 3pm and weekends which means you are back to Starbucks/shop for food.

I don’t have a problem with Starbucks or another chain in the hospital just the food and prices.

While I did end up in the square a couple of times my wife wouldn’t leave the (2 week old) baby so ate whatever was there or I brought something back.

That's a different argument unless now you're saying you have a problem with the sale of coffee on ethical or health grounds now.

If I was from Sligo I'd be starting a petition to make you change your username

well we people in Sligo are not sheep we all have different views on things, believe it or not :)

While I did end up in the square a couple of times my wife wouldn’t leave the (2 week old) baby so ate whatever was there or I brought something back.

I hope the baba is doing okay now. That's an awful ordeal for everyone with such a little baby. I hope the New Year goes better for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Candie wrote: »
    I hope the baba is doing okay now. That's an awful ordeal for everyone with such a little baby. I hope the New Year goes better for you all.

Thanks yep she is much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Is there really a Starbucks or starbucks like coffee shop in Tallaght Hospital???

do me a favour!

you go to them type bloody places when your out on a day out shopping and you are used to paying out for food/drink but not when your visiting patients in a bleeding hospital for gods sakes.

yep I understand the other cafe is a volunteer run one and that it closes about 3 or 4pm and fair enough there most probably was a need for a commercial cafe so it could open later ... but are you saying a non-chain (which some would say have high rip-off charges) cafe with reasonable prices couldn't have run it instead?

So along with high price for parking and now a high priced place for a bite to eat in the hospital out of the volunteer run cafe I presume it costs ye an arm and a leg now to go visit someone in Tallaght Hospital these days? - mind you if you come over feeling ill after paying 15euro for a sandwich and a coffee at least your in the right place!

Park in the aldi carpark around the corner and walk up and just don't buy the coffee. You're a great man for a moan Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Starbucks food was expensive and tbh cr@p. What happened to normal sandwiches like plain ham and cheese/ chicken and stuffing/ Blt etc. The ready made sandwiches in the shop were no better.

Why didn't you just make ham and cheese sandwiches and bring them in with you?

My mother was recently in the hospital for a number of weeks, we brought her home made sandwiches and/or a thermos full of soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Pelvis wrote: »

Why didn't you just make ham and cheese sandwiches and bring them in with you?

My mother was recently in the hospital for a number of weeks, we brought her home made sandwiches and/or a thermos full of soup.
    You were lucky they let you.

• Advertisement

It provides an income for the hospital, as they own the space the business is operated from.

It wouldn't be the case that you could open a tobacconists or a bottle shop on the premises, as, aside from the obvious issues, there would be little demand for that on a hospital premises by visitors or staff, unlike general refreshments.

If you find the cost prohibitive or the goods unpalatable, there is the option of using the canteen.

I really don't get the problem here. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you drink a skinny pumpkin latte with a double choc chip cookie on the side on pain of death. You have alternatives. It's not compulsory.

yeah and I am grateful now that I know about the other option of the canteen - fair enough if it is open the same time(s) as the starbucks one so you are not just forced to use the starbucks one if you want a bite to eat and a drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Plenty of young middle class, single professionls working in that hospital. would suggest these are the customers who will use starbucks at every breaktime. one would swear the starbucks cup is welded to their hands when they come in every morning
    edit a tobacconist would be a gold mine especially if they had a sealed off smoking area like in some airports

SteM wrote: »
    Park in the aldi carpark around the corner and walk up and just don't buy the coffee. You're a great man for a moan Andy.

could be my age :) - i have definitely got worse as I have got older .... either that or things have got worse as I have got older causing me to complain :)

could be my age :) - i have definitely got worse as I have got older .... either that or things have got worse as I have got older causing me to complain :)

Irritable Male Syndrome is a recognized medical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There's a Supermacs in UHG.

No there isn’t.

and you speak on behalf of the whole of the people on boards do ye? - there might, just might be some people who might be interested and join in on the conversation - yep , it sounds like your not .. then fine - but why not stop playing God!

Likewise there might be people in hospital who like their Starbucks Andy!

i'm going back years now .. but our local hospital cafe (if you could call it that, it was just a couple of tables and some chairs at an entrance) was run by the WRVS ladies and it was a big pot of (stewed) tea and 50p a cup of tea and 80p a cup of (instant maxwell house) coffee - and then just sold some home made fairy cakes/queen cakes and home made cookies and other biscuits - it was grand, done the job and was affordable ...

Sounds depressing as fcuk

Irritable Male Syndrome is a recognized medical condition.

oh no, I hope I dont have to go to Tallaght hospital for treatment do I :eek: - I know I will take a packed lunch and a flask of soup ...

oh no, I hope I dont have to go to Tallaght hospital for treatment do I :eek: - I know I will take a packed lunch and a flask of soup ...

I think you should consider the option. For all our sakes. :)

• Advertisement

I think you should consider the option. For all our sakes. :)

Poor Tallaght Hospital though

Advertisement