Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks in Tallaght Hospital

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I feel like Andy is getting a hard time here. Although I think it’s nice to have a selection of eating/drinking outlets in a hospital, the arrival of Starbucks and similar brands does feel only a small step away from adverts on hospital trolleys and operations sponsored by McDs.

Thanks I never thought of it that way but now you say it yes it does.

It's like I can understand it's lucrative for the hospital themselves because how much money they are making (I think someone a few posts up said that the hospital are taking a percentage of all takings not just profit) and I understand hospitals these days are running like businesses (even no private HSE ones) with all their management and the like but it still seems to me a bit uncomfortable that maybe this is the way they are going.

I suppose some will say they (the hospital) chose this establishment over other tenders because it would be good for staff and patients and patients visitors to have a decent well known coffee shop (or shop that sells well known coffee)but I suspect in the end with my cynical hat on I would go for they have done it for money. After all if you enlist a shop with premium prices for products sold and the hospital are taking a percentage of all sales then the hospital gains with a higher percentage and will stand to make more money from them...

SteM wrote: »
    They put the location up for tender, are you saying it should only be up for tender to non-chains? Why do you think that would make things cheaper? Generally things are dearer in independent shops, don't see why a coffee shop would be different?

Must admit I don't go drinking in Starbucks so I don't know how much a cup (bucket) of coffee costs from them . I am only logically thinking if someone is not chained to a franchise they can choose whatever coffee (coffee beans) they use and it would be cheaper no? Same with sandwiches and the like, they could choose to buy sandwiches and the like cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭SteM

Must admit I don't go drinking in Starbucks so I don't know how much a cup (bucket) of coffee costs from them . I am only logically thinking if someone is not chained to a franchise they can choose whatever coffee (coffee beans) they use and it would be cheaper no? Same with sandwiches and the like, they could choose to buy sandwiches and the like cheaper?

They still have to pay the same rent, wages and vat that a chain would. If they're independent then I would imagine their purchasing power would not be great.

SteM wrote: »
    They still have to pay the same rent, wages and vat that a chain would. If they're independent then I would imagine their purchasing power would not be great.

there is that i suppose , never thought of that angle -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I've always found the idea of eating in a hospital a bit off putting.

• Advertisement

yep true that in a way , the worry of visiting someone who's ill, will they be OK - you loose your appetite through worry , you might fancy a sweet cup of tea for the shock - not a big meal.

then there are the plethora of germs going around ....

Then the smell of ... er .... Hospitals (what is that smell? - cross between bleach / sick / poo /urine /death is it? )

... and sick people :)

yeah its not like "ooh I am flagging with all this shopping lets go Costa" .. more like "what dya want?" - "ah just a cup of tea and a biscuit, I cant stomach anything else"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

then there are the plethora of germs going around

Prob from all those fairy cakes people are spluttering over at home

Prob from all those fairy cakes people are spluttering over at home

you seem to have a bit of un-healthy obsession with fairy cakes ... have you seen someone about that?

I think Tallaght Hospital have a phsyc department there .. you can maybe go for a starbucks afterwards? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

you seem to have a bit of un-healthy obsession with fairy cakes ... have you seen someone about that?

I think Tallaght Hospital have a phsyc department there .. you can maybe go for a starbucks afterwards? ...

It’s a burns unit I’ll need to see after that scalding hot attack Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

The first piece of toast after coming round from anaesthetic is the nicest food on earth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Did you ever notice it's usually sick people who end up in hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is there really a Starbucks or starbucks like coffee shop in Tallaght Hospital???

do me a favour!

you go to them type bloody places when your out on a day out shopping and you are used to paying out for food/drink but not when your visiting patients in a bleeding hospital for gods sakes.

yep I understand the other cafe is a volunteer run one and that it closes about 3 or 4pm and fair enough there most probably was a need for a commercial cafe so it could open later ... but are you saying a non-chain (which some would say have high rip-off charges) cafe with reasonable prices couldn't have run it instead?

So along with high price for parking and now a high priced place for a bite to eat in the hospital out of the volunteer run cafe I presume it costs ye an arm and a leg now to go visit someone in Tallaght Hospital these days? - mind you if you come over feeling ill after paying 15euro for a sandwich and a coffee at least your in the right place!

Guy’s Hospital in London has had an on-site McDonald’s for decades.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Guy’s Hospital in London has had an on-site McDonald’s for decades.

just because that's silly idea it dont make it right :)

Advertisement