Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Poster

Options
  • 03-01-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I have to present a flip chart sized poster for uni in two weeks,
    I have windows and a standard poster, how can I do this?

Local print shops can only print off to A3 size.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Flipcharts come in different sizes- what's the actual paper size you need to print? I'd be really surprised if there was nowhere near the Uni that could print up to A0. Printing academic posters are fairly standard.

I use Powerpoint to design my posters. Save as a PDF (make sure you set up your PDF for the right print size) and send to the printer.

This is a pretty comprehensive guide, aimed at postgrad students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Flipcharts come in different sizes- what's the actual paper size you need to print? I'd be really surprised if there was nowhere near the Uni that could print up to A0. Printing academic posters are fairly standard.

I use Powerpoint to design my posters. Save as a PDF (make sure you set up your PDF for the right print size) and send to the printer.

This is a pretty comprehensive guide, aimed at postgrad students.

Thank you, looks like exactly what I need.
    I rang the place closest to me (who have a branch in the uni) they told me that they only print off from a stick or at all, A3, the rest would have to be manipulated by a designer which would cost $$'s. So I would need at least 3 of these. but for now, I need to get the images/text onto those A3/4's and I have NO clue how to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Bredabe wrote: »
    Thank you, looks like exactly what I need.
    I rang the place closest to me (who have a branch in the uni) they told me that they only print off from a stick or at all, A3, the rest would have to be manipulated by a designer which would cost $$'s. So I would need at least 3 of these. but for now, I need to get the images/text onto those A3/4's and I have NO clue how to do this.

Honestly that sounds like rubbish from the printer, I’ve never once had an issue with having to have something resized for print. But if that’s what you have to work with then I’d look at the link I gave you and google how to use PowerPoint to make an academic poster. You’ll find tutorials on YouTube probably. Once you get the hang of it it’s really quite easy.

Honestly that sounds like rubbish from the printer, I’ve never once had an issue with having to have something resized for print. But if that’s what you have to work with then I’d look at the link I gave you and google how to use PowerPoint to make an academic poster. You’ll find tutorials on YouTube probably. Once you get the hang of it it’s really quite easy.

I felt as soon as they heard it was that size the price went up, thanks for the encouragement.
    I have a baddddd reputation with things artistic and computery, so this is a really anxiety inducing challenge for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

That's pure bs from the print shop, I often have to assist people print posters where I work (we've got a plotter) and it's trivial to tell either Adobe Reader or PowerPoint to scale the output to fit the bigger size, A0 or A1 in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

If you are going to scale up a poster, make sure any images that you use area high enough quality as otherwise they'll become pixellated very badly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If you are having trouble desiging it, I'd suggest downloading an A0/A1 template from a site like this. You can move stuff around and edit things as you like, but it gives a nice outline to follow.
    https://www.posterpresentations.com/free-poster-templates.html

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a printing facility on campus that will print an A0/A1 poster - it's a common style of presentation which academics do all the time, so the facility should be there somewhere.

osarusan wrote: »
    If you are having trouble desiging it, I'd suggest downloading an A0/A1 template from a site like this. You can move stuff around and edit things as you like, but it gives a nice outline to follow.
    https://www.posterpresentations.com/free-poster-templates.html

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a printing facility on campus that will print an A0/A1 poster - it's a common style of presentation which academics do all the time, so the facility should be there somewhere.

I emailed the uni branch(as work hours exclude a phone call) so far no response. I know they have reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Where are you located OP? Someone here will most likely be able to recommend a local place.

If not, find the nearest postgrad office/student and ask them where they get their posters printer. It's almost impossible to get through a postgrad without having to do a few poster presentations and because of this there's usually a printer nearby to satisfy the need!

Advertisement