Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Name Liv

Options
  • 03-01-2019 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys and girls, looking to sound out the girls name Liv. I love it but have had mixed reaction. I love one syllable names, it's simple and pretty to me.

My partner and I are different nationalities and it will be easily pronounced the same by families / friends on both sides.

My concern is does it sound a bit unfinished? Or like a nickname for Olivia / Elizabeth. I'm not a fan of those as full names. Google tells me Liv is a norse name in its own right apparently...

All opinions welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It's your baby - if you've found a name you love, go for it and try not to worry about anyone else!

I do think she would regularly be mistaken for Olivia, though, as in Ireland, Liv would usually be a nickname. So if this does bother you, maybe you should reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Liv Ullmann, Liv Tyler, both done fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

My cousin is named Liv and she loves her name. She/her parents pronounce it like leaf though (apparently this is the norse pronunciation, her dad worked with someone Scandinavian when his wife was pregnant), and I think she has to correct people often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I really like it, I love short and sweet names. No different to the likes of Ben as opposed to Benjamin, Sam and Samuel etc
    I wouldn’t worry about others, to be fair everyone has their preferences and you can’t and shouldn’t try to please everyone when naming your children. If she gets called Olivia just correct people. A pet peeve of mine is naming a child one name and calling them a different version their whole life (unless of course they choose it themselves), just name them what they’re going to be called!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Digs wrote: »
    I really like it, I love short and sweet names. No different to the likes of Ben as opposed to Benjamin, Sam and Samuel etc
    I wouldn’t worry about others, to be fair everyone has their preferences and you can’t and shouldn’t try to please everyone when naming your children. If she gets called Olivia just correct people. A pet peeve of mine is naming a child one name and calling them a different version their whole life (unless of course they choose it themselves), just name them what they’re going to be called!

I agree with this - we have Alex on our list of boys names and husband keeps saying we should put Alexander on his birth cert - no we shouldn’t we’ve no intention of him ever being called that!

I think Liv is nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I love it, and if you both love it then that's the main thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The best advice I could give you is not to discuss it with anyone, until you’ve had the baby, and named him or her. No one will ever tell you that you’ve given your baby an awful name, but everyone has an opinion before it’s a done deal!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Agree with JLM.
    Nobody knows the name until you send a text or whatever, saying you have welcomed baby X to the world.
    Your head will be wrecked otherwise, and anyway, it's nobody's business but yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I think the name livia is nice, it’s colin firths wife’s name

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Liv is a valid name in Norway.
    Liv means life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Edoyle6 wrote: »
    Hi guys and girls, looking to sound out the girls name Liv. I love it but have had mixed reaction. I love one syllable names, it's simple and pretty to me.

My partner and I are different nationalities and it will be easily pronounced the same by families / friends on both sides.

My concern is does it sound a bit unfinished? Or like a nickname for Olivia / Elizabeth. I'm not a fan of those as full names. Google tells me Liv is a norse name in its own right apparently...

All opinions welcome...

LOVE it. Always one i had in my head for if the time ever came

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I think it's a beautiful name.
    I only know one Liv, and she's an absolute sweetheart.

Advertisement