Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dampness and mould in apartment

Options
  • 03-01-2019 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi. I rent an apartment that only has two windows and a glass sliding door, am quite happy here, as with most houses it can get a little chilly at night time but that doesn't bother me too much as I don't really feel the cold:D

Storage heating in the sitting room & kitchen part of the apartment. I use it correctly. The bedrooms have little electric heaters. I heat the bedrooms for an hour on and off throughout the night as that is all that is needed, feel too warm otherwise.

I am not allowed to leave clothes dry outside as per rules of management company.

I would appreciate some advice please. I can't contact landlord as it is not just my apartment that has this problem, others are affected too. I don't want to be annoying landlord either and don't think it would be addressed anyway so would like to fix it myself.
    I heat the house and am very clean and good tenant.

I am having the following issues and would appreciate some suggestions please :)

1) I am finding it *extremely* difficult to dry clothes. Hung them out on new
    years eve and they are still damp, 4 days later and still not dry.

2) There is a constant battle to keep smell of mould and dampness out of the
    wardrobes. Mould seems to grow in them very easily so I make sure clothes
    are bone dry before going in. Emptied wardrobes , washed everything to get
    rid of damp smell and need to do it all over again now:(

3) There is constant battle to get rid of black mould growing on the walls at doors
    and windows. I use bleach and water. Had to repaint where the mould grew
    and it has grown so much over the Xmas it has ruined my curtains. I can't keep on top of it as it seems to grow sooo fast.

I use extractor fan when cooking and have thrown out large towels as they were taking too long to dry. I use extractor fan in kitchen and bathrooms when they are being used.

I would really appreciate some advice thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Have you a drier or a dehumidifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

As far as I know OP it's in the regulations that the LL has to provide you with a means to dry clothes, that means either a dryer or an outside washing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Definitely buy a dehumidifier. It will dry your clothes overnight and prevent mould issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Sarn wrote:
    Definitely buy a dehumidifier. It will dry your clothes overnight and prevent mould issues.

What's the average cost of running a dehumidifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

What's the average cost of running a dehumidifier?

It depends on the wattage and time it’s run. Typically, 30-50 cent for 8 to 10 hours. We used to run a desiccant one over the winter and it worked wonders. It also outputs heat so can help in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Plug in Dehumidifiers are essential for making poor Irish apartment stock habitable. Can run overnight on a laundry mode and use night rate electricity to keep the costs even further down. They are also useful to help dry floor after mopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh get a dehumidifier. It’s has been an excellent investment for me. They make a huge difference in the likes of an apartment. Opening the windows all day. But once your home. Cooking, showers and clothes. The air get full of moisture.
    We reduced the mold by about 95% still get a bit at the windows. Probably be 100% if I could leave the bedroom doors open.

Bare in mind you probably have half price electricity at night. I run mine between 4 and 2 hours a night. Only thing I don’t like is leaving the bathroom and living room door open.

I run it on a timer. Will add pics with consumption. Price can be worked out from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Do you have a drier? You should not really be drying clothes inside. That's what's causing the mould. Needs to be dried outside or in a drier. A humidifier will help but will not solve this problem. This will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Launderettes have dryers for damp clothes.

There's a few things that come to mind:

1. Ventilation. Are there air vents in the apartment? Are they blocked or working? it's possible they're blocked. And I'll bet the wardrobe in your bedroom is blocking the bedroom vent.

2. It's very possible that the damp in the wardrobe is coming from another source- potentially a leak from the roof- it doesn't matter if you're a ground floor apartment- a leaking roof or a leaking balcony from above can actually leak down into your interior walls. So it may have nothing to do with you per-se.

3. Heating. You need to have solid heat running through the apartment in Winter to keep damp at bay, coupled with good ventilation, extraction and potentially dehumidification. It sounds like you're not putting on the heat enough or at a high enough temperature- this coupled with bad ventilation and you'll get damp.

4. Even with reference to the above, it does sound like some upgrades are required to your apartment- doors and windows especially- i.e. triple glazing etc-

Try points 1-3 first and see how you get on- often it's not the "fault" of the tenant, it's the apartment itself that needs modernisation and there may be little you can do yourself to fix this, especially as you say, you can't keep up with the appearance of damp- that's one for the landlord to stick their hands into their pocket and fix at their expense- if they value your tenancy, they'll do it as they'll be faced with the same issues for future tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

I used to get mould in my apartment. It was from drying clothes inside when we couldn't dry them outside because of the weather. Bought a dehumidifier and I cant believe the amount of water it collects. Bought it on Amazon for around 85 pounds. Its about 200 watts so you can work that out from what ever youre being charged. Id stick it on over night if we have clothes out drying. No mould and the clothes are dry in the morning. Great yoke. If you're prepared to pay the few extra quid on the esb it'd be a wise investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

The problem with points 1 and 3. Is that living in Irish apartments with storages heating can be tough and expensive to keep the place warm constantly.

I live in a 2 bed. Vents and windows open all day. Problem Is the evening. All the moisture in the air. Opening the windows Is not that practical. Tried doing it for 15 minutes each time we took a shower. I have young kids also. Storage heater can be quite cool by the evenings also. It’s such a **** system.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Thank you so much for the helpful replies :D

Unfortunately there is no space for a drier. I am not allowed to leave my
    clothes dry outside either. I dry them out when I am here but I have take them
    inside when I am not here. It rains so much and takes too long at this time of
    year I find. I use launderette when possible however it is not always possible to
    use.

I genuinely do heat the house well enough. I don't heat the bedrooms during
    the day as it would be far too warm. I use the storage heater in the
    sitting/main room to its full capacity. I have it set to release the heat slowly
    throughout the day but the room gets very cold at night despite this as the
    heat is output throughout the day. There isn't a way for me to set a timer to
    start releasing it when it is needed. imo they are great for offices but not
    good for houses.

Also, there are small vents on the windows and doors and that is all. I can't
    leave the windows open when I am not here but would it help at night if i did
    this for 15minutes a day ?

The problem with points 1 and 3. Is that living in Irish apartments with storages heating can be tough and expensive to keep the place warm constantly.

I live in a 2 bed. Vents and windows open all day. Problem Is the evening. All the moisture in the air. Opening the windows Is not that practical. Tried doing it for 15 minutes each time we took a shower. I have young kids also. Storage heater can be quite cool by the evenings also. It’s such a **** system.

They don't work well for houses I find, not very practical :o

foxatron wrote: »
    I used to get mould in my apartment. It was from drying clothes inside when we couldn't dry them outside because of the weather. Bought a dehumidifier and I cant believe the amount of water it collects. Bought it on Amazon for around 85 pounds. Its about 200 watts so you can work that out from what ever youre being charged. Id stick it on over night if we have clothes put drying. No mould and the clothes are dry in the morning. Great yoke. If you're prepared to pay the few extra quid on the esb it'd be a wish investment.

I will get a dehumidifier and hopefully it will help with the issue. Do you only use it when you are drying clothes overnight or do you leave it on all the time?

There's a few things that come to mind:

1. Ventilation. Are there air vents in the apartment? Are they blocked or working? it's possible they're blocked. And I'll bet the wardrobe in your bedroom is blocking the bedroom vent.

2. It's very possible that the damp in the wardrobe is coming from another source- potentially a leak from the roof- it doesn't matter if you're a ground floor apartment- a leaking roof or a leaking balcony from above can actually leak down into your interior walls. So it may have nothing to do with you per-se.

3. Heating. You need to have solid heat running through the apartment in Winter to keep damp at bay, coupled with good ventilation, extraction and potentially dehumidification. It sounds like you're not putting on the heat enough or at a high enough temperature- this coupled with bad ventilation and you'll get damp.

4. Even with reference to the above, it does sound like some upgrades are required to your apartment- doors and windows especially- i.e. triple glazing etc-

Try points 1-3 first and see how you get on- often it's not the "fault" of the tenant, it's the apartment itself that needs modernisation and there may be little you can do yourself to fix this, especially as you say, you can't keep up with the appearance of damp- that's one for the landlord to stick their hands into their pocket and fix at their expense- if they value your tenancy, they'll do it as they'll be faced with the same issues for future tenants.

Thank you for response :)

I have a feeling it is coming in through the walls so you are spot on. It seems to be a problem in other apartments too but I am going to do all I can to try and minimise the problem of dampness. I really do treat the place well and don't want there to be issues with dampness. I have heard from others that it is common where I am.

You are right about the windows and doors however they will not be changed so I will do everything I can do myself to minimise the problem as I know that it is not something that I would even risk asking to be fixed with the current rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boyoutofhell

I'm in the same boat as you, buddy. Bought the most powerful dehumidifier I could get my hands on and that took care of drying my clothes (I have a drier but running it blows my electricity bill up to high heaven and still doesn't dry them completely), but didn't do anything for the mould on the walls and around the windows. Sorry for not being able to be of much help or provide a solution as I'm looking for one myself. :(

I'm in the same boat as you, buddy. Bought the most powerful dehumidifier I could get my hands on and that took care of drying my clothes (I have a drier but running it blows my electricity bill up to high heaven and still doesn't dry them completely), but didn't do anything for the mould on the walls and around the windows. Sorry for not being able to be of much help or provide a solution as I'm looking for one myself. :(

Hopefully it will help the drying clothes so I am not dragging clothes horse from one day to the next :D

I would think we need to get advise on how to get rid of mould completely. It is very difficult to get rid of once it starts as the spores can spread very easily :(

If anyone has tips for mould removal that would be great too

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boyoutofhell

SwimFin wrote: »
    HG Mould Spray

Have it, tried it, mould is back in full swing after 2-3 days.

• Advertisement

Sheepdish1 wrote:
    I will get a dehumidifier and hopefully it will help with the issue. Do you only use it when you are drying clothes overnight or do you leave it on all the time?

No I only really use it at night time when drying clothes. The odd time id have it on during the day. It has a display which shows the level of humidity in the room so you can turn it on for a minute and it will tell you the percentage. If its anyway high i just leave it running for a while until it goes back down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

foxatron wrote:
    I used to get mould in my apartment. It was from drying clothes inside when we couldn't dry them outside because of the weather. Bought a dehumidifier and I cant believe the amount of water it collects. Bought it on Amazon for around 85 pounds. Its about 200 watts so you can work that out from what ever youre being charged. Id stick it on over night if we have clothes out drying. No mould and the clothes are dry in the morning. Great yoke. If you're prepared to pay the few extra quid on the esb it'd be a wise investment.

Do you have a link to it I'd like to check it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Do you have a link to it I'd like to check it out?

Me too.

[QUOTE=Sheepdish1;109026798

Also, there are small vents on the windows and doors and that is all. I can't
    leave the windows open when I am not here but would it help at night if i did
    this for 15minutes a day ?[/QUOTE]

Your problems are building related so, not behavioral retated. I believe you’re trying your best. But some building work is required. A simple email from your landlord to the housing directors of your apartment will likely grand persmisson to drill external vent holes. Landlord can claim this back so really they won’t be out of pocket.

Not letting me post the link. Its called the Inventor Care 12l dehumidifier. I checked it there and its out of stock on amazon but im fairly sure there was a few different 12l ones around the same price when i was buying my one. Google it and itll bring you to their website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have these small cheap dehumidifier and it does wonders for drying clothes and stopping mould. Also used a lot of anti mould spray from woodies initially.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Breeze-Portable-Dehumidifier-Moisture/dp/B00NFRTVY6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546550289&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dehumidifier&psc=1
    It's only 23 watts so costs nothing. It would cost like €20 if I left it on for a year.

Your problems are building related so, not behavioral retated. I believe you’re trying your best. But some building work is required. A simple email from your landlord to the housing directors of your apartment will likely grand persmisson to drill external vent holes. Landlord can claim this back so really they won’t be out of pocket.

I will try the suggestions here and fix it myself. With the way the housing market is at the moment I don't contact LL unless its absolutely necessary for example if electrical work needs to be done.

Thank you for your helpful suggestion however I really don't like contacting him for anything as the rental market is the worst I have ever seen it :eek: Even if it isn't my fault I could be blamed for it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dry them outside. Those rules are horse. I've yet to see an apartment that people didn't have a clothes horse on the balcony. But draped over the balcony itself but horse on the balcony.

These rules are dreamt up by absolute idiots in management companies who aren't aware the damage mould does to he dwelling or its inhabitants

I have these small cheap dehumidifier and it does wonders for drying clothes are stopping mould. Also used a lot of anti mould spray from woodies initially.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Breeze-Portable-Dehumidifier-Moisture/dp/B00NFRTVY6/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546550289&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=dehumidifier&psc=1
    It's only 23 watts so costs nothing.

Super, I will look these up. I could actually put it on my counter.

Does this way much? I've seen some very heavy ones that aren't suitable for my house. But this looks perfect and could easily fit on my counter instead of sitting on floor where it can be knocked over

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Super, I will look these up. I could actually put it on my counter.

Does this way much? I've seen some very heavy ones that aren't suitable for my house. But this looks perfect and could easily fit on my counter instead of sitting on floor where it can be knocked over

It's very light and quiet, it weighs 1kg + 0.5kg if full of water. Would easily fit on a counter. I leave mine beside the clothes horse.

Advertisement