Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron Radiators

Options
  • 03-01-2019 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I have a few old radiators in the house that I would like to change.

I once lived in a house in the US that had cast iron radiators that left me with a warm feeling of solid quality and an amazingly well kept heat.

I am well aware of the cost that these beauties require and I know that they are heavy. Aside from that, what are other aspects one should consider before getting into those?

Best, A.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

ampleforth wrote: »
    I have a few old radiators in the house that I would like to change.

I once lived in a house in the US that had cast iron radiators that left me with a warm feeling of solid quality and an amazingly well kept heat.

I am well aware of the cost that these beauties require and I know that they are heavy. Aside from that, what are other aspects one should consider before getting into those?

Best, A.

I had the same debate with a family member regarding new v's old radiators. The old ones covered with 10 layers of paint were great at keeping the heat!

These radiators also take much longer / more energy to warm them up. The cast iron is just thermal mass. The fundamental job of a radiator is to transfer energy to the air, you could have a bad radiator that feels warm, but isn't heating the room.

Use modern correctly sized radiators, over size slightly if required, address other issues such as insulation.

Vertical rads can be quite effective at heating a space too, if wall space is limited. Most of the cast iron ones are quite high.

Check out fan assisted radiators if you have a large space to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Can't beat sitting on an old cast iron radiator. Reminds me of school!

I'm not sure it really makes much difference what the thermal mass is. If you're using zoned heating on a timer you'll just shift it to come on and off a few minutes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Besides the weight, the expense and the ugliness, they're very big so you wouldn't want to be considering them unless you have plenty of room.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on the costs of them- I was in Landmark Architectural Salvage in Newcastle, D22 just before Christmas and they had about 20-30 old cast iron radiators of various sizes. Not sure of prices but I would imagine they would be a fair bit cheaper than brand spanking new. I'd imagine other architectural salvage companies have them too.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on the costs of them- I was in Landmark Architectural Salvage in Newcastle, D22 just before Christmas and they had about 20-30 old cast iron radiators of various sizes. Not sure of prices but I would imagine they would be a fair bit cheaper than brand spanking new. I'd imagine other architectural salvage companies have them too.

I'd say that salvage yards are the only place they can be bought. One friend of mine decided to change from the modern rads to the cast iron purely for cosmetic reasons and they are the ugliest yoke you could imagine in a home, they just look all wrong. I wouldn't have them in my way.

The plumber who fitted them didn't have anything good to say about them either but she's happy and it only cost her 4 grand to do it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd say that salvage yards are the only place they can be bought
    These appear to be new ones.

http://www.heating-distributors.ie/traditional-radiators.php

Knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

The cast iron is just terminal mass.

Only if you drop them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'd say that salvage yards are the only place they can be bought.
    Hevac in cork/Dublin stock them.

Advertisement