Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter's Epipen and diabetic equipment stolen by teacher at secondary school

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    And she is 18 and should be well aware how to act and not need a GP to tell her ! She is not 6 years old m

If she's that responsible, she shouldn't be in school when it's closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

John Moran made you all morans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

Op's attitude and language will get the op nowhere and will make life absolute hell for his/her daughter for the next 6 months.

Teachers will always defend colleagues when confronted by such attitude no matter how wrong the teacher is.

Maybe do future students a favor and go in with a more reasonable attitude and ensure that the new teacher understands how serious it could have been and if there was an emergency then their career would have been over and she possibly could have been facing criminal charges.

Go in guns blazing and you will simply get a defensive wall and be considered a mad person and you will get no answers and your daughter will bear the brunt.

Choice is yours.

amcalester wrote: »
    Cool story.

Wasn’t stolen though.

No, cos schools are still on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She was on the train when the Irish teacher had arrived and brought my daughter to the staff room (the principal was in the staff room and called her on her mobile).

The tablet WAS stolen, it was taken illegally.

The Epipen slides into a little holder beside the tablet within the case / wallet.

Who said the tablet causes anxiety? The whole point in the tablet is that the information is recorded in real time and can be ported to the GP and downloaded in a specific format and printed. Why should she have to use a notepad? She is an adult.

If teachers expect students to behave like adults then they should treat the students like adults.

I will be demanding a written apology from the teacher and for my daughter to be addressed as Ms Moran by the teacher for the remainder of the year, seeing as she is an adult now. If she disagrees, I will escalate things severely.

If you believe your daughters property was stolen then you needed to report the theft to the Gaurds.
    I agree that the teacher was totally out of line. But hyperventilating about theft and demanding that the teacher grovel after your daughter for the rest of the year is just making you look like a dickhead.
    You and your daughter want to have a meeting with the principal and the Irish teacher and the offending teacher. Let your daughter do the talking. She needs to tell the new teacher how upsetting the incident was for her and how disappointed she was that this should happen in the last year. You need to sit quietly. As you say. She’s an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I reckon you should cut the teacher some slack. Being a secondary teacher is a very tough job and this young teacher is trying to let the teenagers know she won't take crap, as a means of survival. Okay this teacher did something she shouldn't have and made a mistake. You are however skewing the facts a little to suit your own agenda. To say the teacher stole your daughter's medicine is a stretch. So you want to haul the teachers ass over hot coals with her boss. The reality is that if the boss is any way decent, he/she won't be even angry with this teacher and you blowing steam out your ears will just make you sound unreasonable. She is a young woman starting out in a job and lets face it we all make mistakes at the start of our career. So you might earn kudos with other mothers in the school, who are your friends, you may feel you took the moral high ground, but the principal is going to think you overreacted and teachers will know you as somebody unreasonable in the staff room. You probably have other issues and the young teacher is just somebody to focus your rage on. You will have your 15 minutes of fame and feel empowered for a while. You will get to say "I showed that Miss ___." But whatever personal issues you have internally won't be resolved.

• Administrators Posts: 14,033 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

When did this happen and where are you based? Nobody has been in school since 21st December.
    I will be demanding a written apology from the teacher and for my daughter to be addressed as Ms Moran by the teacher for the remainder of the year, seeing as she is an adult now. If she disagrees, I will escalate things severely.

Why a written apology? And why insist that just this teacher call her Ms. Moran? Why not all teachers. I don't know many adults who insist on being addressed as Ms. /Mrs. /Mr. Whoever.

If you are claiming your daughter is now an adult and should be treated as such, I suggest you let her deal with this situation herself. As an adult woman, I would be mortified if one of my parents stepped in to sort out my issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What a ridiculous post.

Some parents really are idiotic,OP cop the **** on.

I'd say your daughter will be mortified if you try carry out any of those threats .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Do people not read previous replies anymore before throwing in their two cent? Could save some of ye the embarrassment. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Do people not read previous replies anymore before throwing in their two cent? Could save some of ye the embarrassment. :o

Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't understand trolls

What's the point?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The Epipen slides into a little holder beside the tablet within the case / wallet.

..that's not an epipen, its a finger pricker that gets a small amount of blood thats used by the glucose monitor to test blood sugar levels.
    Nothing to do with allergies (which is what an epipen is for).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lawred2 wrote: »
    I don't understand trolls

What's the point?

I was about to post the same . I dont get it ? Could they not just read a good book or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ..that's not an epipen, its a finger pricker that gets a small amount of blood thats used by the glucose monitor to test blood sugar levels.

Did you not read the OP? The OP’s fictitious daughter has a peanut allergy as well as the diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

There was a crooked man
    And he walked a crooked mile
    And he found a crooked sixpence
    Beside a crooked style
    He bought a crooked cat
    And it caught a crooked mouse
    Now they all live together in a little crooked house.

Re-Read the original post, and insert the word 'Fictitious' wherever you see fit.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

bee06 wrote: »
    Dr Bob wrote: »

Did you not read the OP? The OP’s fictitious daughter has a peanut allergy as well as the diabetes.

Probably has some very advanced, insightful views on geopolitics and gender rights along with happening to be 18 at the same time as being A4 year old male lesbian.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

did he say in the post it was today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Well that escalated quickly >>> gets popcorn

Haven't heard from you since... Are you still getting the popcorn? Let us know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If the student is over 18 - presuming they exist, then nothing to do with a parent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

She was on the train when the Irish teacher had arrived and brought my daughter to the staff room (the principal was in the staff room and called her on her mobile).

The tablet WAS stolen, it was taken illegally.

Who said the tablet causes anxiety? The whole point in the tablet is that the information is recorded in real time and can be ported to the GP and downloaded in a specific format and printed. Why should she have to use a notepad? She is an adult.

If teachers expect students to behave like adults then they should treat the students like adults.

First of all, it is your daughter's responsibility to make her teacher's aware of her illness and need to take notes. Diabetes is hardly a deadly disease - even if she has a special device

Second, it is highly unlikely that your GP is monitoring your daughter's condition in real-time and the suggestion of using a notepad is common sense...

Third, the teacher can call your daughter what she likes...SHE IS THE TEACHER...there is such a thing called insubordination...

And we wonder where these millennial get their sense of entitlement...gawd help her when she gets into the work place...better start mass producing cotton fool...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

YOU can demand , throw hissy fits , remove your clothes and dance naked in the school car park if you like but As the person you claim this happened to is over 18, YOU can go and do several different things to yourself that the forum charter doesn’t cover .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The op is a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

First of all, it is your daughter's responsibility to make her teacher's aware of her illness and need to take notes. Diabetes is hardly a deadly disease - even if she has a special device

Second, it is highly unlikely that your GP is monitoring your daughter's condition in real-time and the suggestion of using a notepad is common sense...

Third, the teacher can call your daughter what she likes...SHE IS THE TEACHER...there is such a thing called insubordination...

And we wonder where these millennial get their sense of entitlement...gawd help her when she gets into the work place...better start mass producing cotton fool...

The fictional teacher cannot call her what she likes, there's more than likely a code of conduct they have to abide by, as employees.

But it didn't happen, so it doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

The post is obviously made up but diabetes (especially type 1) is serious and can be a deadly disease, low sugars can cause seizures and DKA mortality is 10%.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Amusing and all as this was, it's time to close the thread down for a little look behind the scenes considering no school was back this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement