Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports Golf 2019

Options
  • 03-01-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Just finished watching the City Liverpool game. Great match, even better result! Then they did their 2019 promo. In the golf segment, only US Open and British Open mentioned. Don't tell me they have lost the Masters as well?

Apologies if I am late to the news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sky don’t have rights and bbc have only highlights for pre cut and live post.

Sky probably want it all or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Wasn't long ago their tag line was "home of all four majors".

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I understand that Sky haven't secured the rights for 2019 European Tour as yet, They won't be sponsoring this year's British Masters either so that tells it's own story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    I understand that Sky haven't secured the rights for 2019 European Tour as yet, They won't be sponsoring this year's British Masters either so that tells it's own story

For fecks sake! Is this the beginning of the end for Sky Sports and golf? Guessing that they are putting so much money into PL football that the pot is almost dry. Probably making a derisory 'take it or leave it' offer to the European Tour.

Bleedin' typical. I was a Sky TV customer for years. Briefly subscribed to Sports for football and golf but couldn't justify cost based on amount of TV watched and expense of rearing three kids. Got rid of Sky completely a few years ago and went free to air.

Decided to go with online TV recently and now have Vodafone TV. Have had Sky Sports for last few months at €1 a month. Same story with no time but have enjoyed the odd Sunday evening watching the PGA events. I am planning on continuing to subscribe for the golf (fed up with illegal streams!), but if the amount of golf (and football) continue to drop, the subscription will be gone again.

Please don't say that Eleven Sports crowd are going to do the Masters as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Going thru their schedule for what's on I can see they have all golf for Jan and Feb anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Buttros

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

For the Masters 2018 they only got the rights on a one year basis granted in January. I think the BBC might get the full rights again for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jumbo2018

The masters seem more concerned about maximising the audience rather than maximising revenue and they sound like they want more free to air coverage for the tournament so it'll probably be on BBC like it used to be in the old days.

The 4 majors should really be both on Free To Air and a pay tv broadcaster if they want to show it, they don't really need the revenue from TV rights that the normal tour events do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Jumbo2018 wrote: »
    The masters seem more concerned about maximising the audience rather than maximising revenue and they sound like they want more free to air coverage for the tournament so it'll probably be on BBC like it used to be in the old days.

The 4 majors should really be both on Free To Air and a pay tv broadcaster if they want to show it, they don't really need the revenue from TV rights that the normal tour events do.

Would be great if the BBC do get it. My only worry would be the amount they broadcast live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Would be great if the BBC do get it. My only worry would be the amount they broadcast live.

BBC would broadcast the same amount of live golf that Sky would, the amount of live coverage available is down to the powers that be at Augusta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

frink wrote: »
    For the Masters 2018 they only got the rights on a one year basis granted in January. I think the BBC might get the full rights again for this year

That would be great ðŸ‘🻠More Ken on tbe course !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Fvck the PGA and their coverage. Watched the ToC a few weeks ago and it was like watching a ET event; shot after shot from most of the small field. I thought things had changed.

Tonight there’s two courses full of golfers and we see the same 10 or so. This is upsetting me more than it should

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Rickies driving has been suspect today but I guess he hit a good one on 9 (didn’t show it but his ball is in the centre of the fairway). This is after they didn’t show his birdie putt on 8.

Apologies for going on about golf coverage on tv but it’s ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

You’ll have the bill Murray show this week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Two observations:

1/. I don't think the drunken carry on at the 16th hole in Scottsdale is good for the game. It's loud, boorish, and is basically a load of out of control drunks going a bit mad. More Nascar than PGA.

2/. Sarah Stirk is a bit of a BOBFOC, but Di Stewart is a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

Two observations:

2/. Sarah Stirk is a bit of a BOBFOC, but Di Stewart is a cracker.

Had to google that:D:D:D. Di is of the Dougherty clan for about the past 10 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Just watching Sky Sports News they have said all 4 majors will be live on sky this year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poker Face wrote: »
    Just watching Sky Sports News they have said all 4 majors will be live on sky this year

Yep

'All four majors live on Sky Sports'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11637349

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any word on whether BBC will have live coverage or just highlights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Any word on whether BBC will have live coverage or just highlights?

Pretty sure its highlights for Thursday and Friday but they have live coverage the weekend.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but I see You Tuber golf professional has a gig on Sky Sports at The Women's ANA Inspiration....Better get my video camera out,never know where it will get me if I don't try .....

Slightly off topic but I see You Tuber golf professional has a gig on Sky Sports at The Women's ANA Inspiration....Better get my video camera out,never know where it will get me if I don't try .....

Peter Finch

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The coverage of golf on sky is brutal.
    I know they get their feed from the USA .
    They only show about 3 live ? Shots and than back to studio .
    It's brutal if you have some golfer backed.
    On the last day they should really show the last 3 groups unless someone is coming tru the field .
    You can't beat the bbc and its coverage of " the open "

Wouldn't matter if the Masters was on Sky or BBC...it's the same thing. It's Masters that decide the coverage that's shown of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

callaway92 wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter if the Masters was on Sky or BBC...it's the same thing. It's Masters that decide the coverage that's shown of it.

The studio elements differ massively though

Remind me wrote: »
    The studio elements differ massively though

How so?

Sky's Production is genuinely second-to-none

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

callaway92 wrote: »
    How so?

Sky's Production is genuinely second-to-none

Agreed, much prefer Sky to BBC, just making the point that the coverage of shots is provided by the Masters but studio coverage from each station differs.

Advertisement