Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyde road safe?

• 04-01-2019 12:39am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been looking at places to rent and have been offered a 2 bed place on Hyde Road, relatively close to the station end of Hyde Road. I'm just concerned about whether that area of town is safe. I've heard not great things from one or 2 people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Personally I wouldn't rent there, nor would I walk down there at all at night. It's a rough spot with alot of anti-social and criminal issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Very rough dangerous area populated by local well known criminal families, ie McCartney Dundon gang primarily.

Would advise you not to live there. Very very dangerous part of limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The station end of Hyde road isnt particularly bad that I've noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The flats next to the station look good on the outside at least. Plus it is cheap. Cheapest house in Ireland was on that road once if I remember correctly. Still, I know one woman who was punched in the face while walking on the station end of the Hyde Road in broad daylight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The flats next to the station look good on the outside at least. Plus it is cheap. Cheapest house in Ireland was on that road once if I remember correctly. Still, I know one woman who was punched in the face while walking on the station end of the Hyde Road in broad daylight.

In fairness that could happen anywhere. Scumbags aren't unique to Hyde Rd. Can't say I'd live there though (even though I've still got elderly family living there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Very rough dangerous area populated by local well known criminal families, ie McCartney Dundon gang primarily.

Musical criminals?

Musical criminals?

Yeah the crowd who would rob your guitar and bash you over the head with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ok thanks everyone. Rental market in Limerick is slim pickings at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If you enjoy seeing horses tethered to trees - it's the place for you.

If you appreciate scramblers being driven up and down at high speed, with no lights, tax or insurance - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

the side closest to the station & across from peoples park is fine. granted its not perfect but the area has a lot of footfall so its generally safe. i wouldnt live further up hyde road (towards childers rd) however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Didn't realise right up to the bus station is Hyde road. Id say those new apartments beside the bus station should be alright if that's the ones you're on about OP but the close proximity to trouble would put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Anywhere down near Lenihan Avenue I'd avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Didn't realise right up to the bus station is Hyde road. Id say those new apartments beside the bus station should be alright if that's the ones you're on about OP but the close proximity to trouble would put me off.

I think they’re social housing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think they’re social housing.

Yeah. They're owned by Cluid, but the tenants are selected from the councils housing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Stay well away. Rent must be half-nothing there though.

I'm now curious as to how the Beatles would have turned out with one of the Dundons as opposed to John Lennon.
    The Revolver album would take on a whole new meaning.

Looking on daft nowhere decent really until you're forking out 1200. If you're sticking to the 1000 mark I'd go to the dock road area well before Hyde road. Ideally though just wait for something to come up in South Circular Road or O'Connell avenue which is the nicest part of the city IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Looking on daft nowhere decent really until you're forking out 1200. If you're sticking to the 1000 mark I'd go to the dock road area well before Hyde road. Ideally though just wait for something to come up in South Circular Road or O'Connell avenue which is the nicest part of the city IMO.

Ya that's my issue. Nothing semi decent in my budget and I'm just concerned that this is how the housing is going in Limerick. I have until the end of the month in my current place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€900 a month to live in a €60000 house is depressing.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    €900 a month to live in a €60000 house is depressing.

Yup. I actually considered looking into a mortgage as there around some 2 bed apartments around Henry St/Dock Road going for 90,000

• Advertisement

Riverpoint would be the nicest apartments in limerick. You'd avoid the prostitution and heroin also on the dock road if you stayed there. Have you considered moving outside of town? Dooradoyle and castletroy are much nicer than the city centre sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Do you work for the limerick tourist office?

where are you going with your "very very dangerous and city centre sewer".

Ok hyde road is dodgy at the best of times but youre being a bit dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Riverpoint would be the nicest apartments in limerick. You'd avoid the prostitution and heroin also on the dock road if you stayed there. Have you considered moving outside of town? Dooradoyle and castletroy are much nicer than the city centre sewer.
    If you think riverpoint is the nicest, you've got some serious low taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

davo2001 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't rent there, nor would I walk down there at all at night. It's a rough spot with alot of anti-social and criminal issues.

complete and utter noncense live here feet from where being discussed and never an issue ..

The strand, Bedford row, Lansdowne hall would be all better than Riverpoint but higher rent. Still think Riverpoint is nice mind! I used to live in Alandale and they're very good appartments too.

On your second point, it depends on what part of the city centre. North Circular road, O'Connell Avenue and South Circular road have more character and charm than the peaceful but bland suburbs. And I'm living in Castletroy now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Riverpoint would be the nicest apartments in limerick.

Riverpoint is a shîtbox compared to places like the Strand or City Central.

The strand, Bedford row, Lansdowne hall would be all better than Riverpoint but higher rent. Still think Riverpoint is nice mind! I used to live in Alandale and they're very good appartments too.

On your second point, it depends on what part of the city centre. North Circular road, O'Connell Avenue and South Circular road have more character and charm than the peaceful but bland suburbs. And I'm living in Castletroy now!

Corbally is probably the part of Limerick I'd like to live in if I was to move back.
    I used to love the Irishtown/Clare Street/Pennywell area and a large Georgian townhouse on Clare Street would be nice.

I have considered out of town a bit like Dooradoyle but there is still very little available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

When are you hoping to move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Corbally is probably the part of Limerick I'd like to live in if I was to move back. I used to love the Irishtown/Clare Street/Pennywell area and a large Georgian townhouse on Clare Street would be nice.

Corbally has become overpopulated with resulting traffic problems. As regards the other areas you mention certain parts have become very run down and could be regarded as unsafe to live in or even walk through during the day in particular John St, John's Sq, Upr. Pennywell, Grattan St and Johnsgate.

Advertisement