Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyde road safe?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

When are you hoping to move?

ASAP but buy the end of the month at the latest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

steveon wrote:
    complete and utter noncense live here feet from where being discussed and never an issue ..

I've driven through there many times. The word I'd use is "foreboding". It's run down, with several houses burnt out and boarded up. It's pretty obvious where the crime bosses live too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I've driven through there many times. The word I'd use is "foreboding". It's run down, with several houses burnt out and boarded up. It's pretty obvious where the crime bosses live too.

They are now resident in Wheatfield Prison, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The houses on the left as you go along Hyde Road don't seem to be too bad although it's the other side of the road that has some of the houses you mention. I'm sure there's a lot of good decent people living there too just being brought down by the scumbags that live a stones throw away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

steveon wrote: »
    complete and utter noncense live here feet from where being discussed and never an issue ..

I'm pretty sure this poster and I, had a quick hello last weekend outside my brothers house on Hyde Rd... my brother and his wife bought there recently. She has extended family all along the road. Salt of the earth people. Decent, honest and hardworking.

Sure, there are rougher parts, and a criminal aspect to some areas. The same can be said for most of the city!

My sister in law is in Annacotty... and Christ are they having a time of it. Local teens are holding people and shop-owners to ransom out there lately. Stabbing in the local chipper.

Pros and cons to nearly everywhere these days!

Location aside... rent in limerick is INSANE! I thank my lucky stars that I'm in a small but generous 3 bed, with a great community - one mile from work, and my wife can walk to her job in UL if she pleases.. all for a mortgage of a little over 500 a month. I may have bought at the wrong time, but at least I'm not getting ridden for 1200 a month. It's lunacy! I pity the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Hooked wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this poster and I, had a quick hello last weekend outside my brothers house on Hyde Rd... my brother and his wife bought there recently. She has extended family all along the road. Salt of the earth people. Decent, honest and hardworking.

Sure, there are rougher parts, and a criminal aspect to some areas. The same can be said for most of the city!

My sister in law is in Annacotty... and Christ are they having a time of it. Local teens are holding people and shop-owners to ransom out there lately. Stabbing in the local chipper.

Location aside... rent in limerick is INSANE! I thank my lucky stars that I'm in a small but generous 3 bed, with a great community - one mile from work, and my wife can walk to her job in UL if she pleases.. all for a mortgage of a little over 500 a month. I may have bought at the wrong time, but at least I'm not getting ridden for 1200 a month. It's lunacy! I pity the OP

I couldn't agree more, I bought a house in what was considered a salubrious part of Mallow a number of years ago and now it's overrun with Nigerians trying to turn the area into downtown Lagos with their **** driving and loud parties. They've driven down house prices as well so moving isn't an option at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Mc Love wrote: »
    The houses on the left as you go along Hyde Road don't seem to be too bad although it's the other side of the road that has some of the houses you mention. I'm sure there's a lot of good decent people living there too just being brought down by the scumbags that live a stones throw away.

I think I read in the Leader before that the Hyde road is actually a dividing line for regeneration and that one side received funds but the other side didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

if you read probably shes asking about near the train station end of hyde road its called prospect no trouble

houses further up is actually called HYDE avenue weston and not hyde road completely different area and most houses in prospect end are privately owned and looked after well...

there are the odd exception but amazes me the amount of people who slag off an area and know nothing about it but yet will come and park and abandon there car outside my house everyday and goto there jobs in the city or when an event like patricks day is on again abandon there car park it on the grass and wreck the area and then again slag it off...

There are bad houses in all areas simple as as the hse amongst others are moving familys all over..

Again I live here never ever any trouble. If you look for trouble you find it...and the wrecked houses are belong to one or two familys end of.

houses further up is actually called HYDE avenue weston and not hyde road completely different area and most houses in prospect end are privately owned and looked after well...

You learn something new everyday, I always thought that bit near the shop was prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

steveon wrote:

Prospect Hill, encompasses the area beginning at the top end of Edward St. opposite Sarsfield Barracks as well as Lenihan Avenue and Byrne Avenue which both lead downhill toward Hyde Road. Hyde Road begins after the traffic lights at the city end right the way up past Cosgraves shop. The remaining short stretch up to the lights near the church is Hyde Avenue. So, I don't think it's correct to refer to that particular area nearest the station as Prospect but, then again, it would be incorrect to refer to it as Weston either. Weston really refers to the areas located off the Childers Rd. such as Griffith Ave.
    There is another area known as Prospect in Co. Limerick out between Annacotty and Lisnagry.
    Here endeth the geography lesson.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    Prospect Hill, encompasses the area beginning at the top end of Edward St. opposite Sarsfield Barracks as well as Lenihan Avenue and Byrne Avenue which both lead downhill toward Hyde Road. Hyde Road begins after the traffic lights at the city end right the way up past Cosgraves shop. The remaining short stretch up to the lights near the church is Hyde Avenue. So, I don't think it's correct to refer to that particular area nearest the station as Prospect but, then again, it would be incorrect to refer to it as Weston either. Weston really refers to the areas located off the Childers Rd. such as Griffith Ave.
    There is another area known as Prospect in Co. Limerick out between Annacotty and Lisnagry.
    Here endeth the geography lesson.

You forgot about the townland near Oola

https://www.townlands.ie/limerick/coonagh/oola/templebredon/prospect/

Hooked wrote: »

Yes you sure did nice to have you in the neighborhood :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Mc Love wrote: »
    You learn something new everyday, I always thought that bit near the shop was prospect

Certainly do, I always thought Weston was the other side of Childers Road and that Rathbane was further up where Sunflower stores used to be.
    Is Cals park Weston or Prospect?

Certainly do, I always thought Weston was the other side of Childers Road and that Rathbane was further up where Sunflower stores used to be.
    Is Cals park Weston or Prospect?

Cal's is prospect after that is Weston and Hyde avenue. The shops are part of weston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

OP I'd recommend getting a viewing for this. Appartments are not modern but you can put your own stamp on it, nice location and they're fairly well insulated. Id imagine you'll have competition to get it though as is the rental market

https://www.daft.ie/21903288

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Irish_rat wrote: »
    OP I'd recommend getting a viewing for this. Appartments are not modern but you can put your own stamp on it, nice location and they're fairly well insulated. Id imagine you'll have competition to get it though as is the rental market

https://www.daft.ie/21903288

Have a viewing scheduled in. Sending my references in advance too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Daisies wrote: »
    Have a viewing scheduled in. Sending my references in advance too

I lived in those apartments, and bought a house quite nearby, great area close to everything and nice apartments. There are students living in there, but have only had a handful of problems with them in the 10 years I've lived in the area.

source wrote: »
    I lived in those apartments, and bought a house quite nearby, great area close to everything and nice apartments. There are students living in there, but have only had a handful of problems with them in the 10 years I've lived in the area.

Great. If ye could all keep your fingers crossed for me that would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Daisies wrote: »
    Great. If ye could all keep your fingers crossed for me that would be great

Throw us all down as referees. Great area to live in, best of luck.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Another potential neighbour here, been nearby 10 years as well (Source, are you me?!).
    Good luck with the viewing. It's a decent area and a nice brief walk to town.

• Advertisement

Another potential neighbour here, been nearby 10 years as well (Source, are you me?!).
    Good luck with the viewing. It's a decent area and a nice brief walk to town.

haha, probably not far off, are you New St, SCR or Ashbourne Ave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Not a million miles away from you lads either, mini meet in Fennos to welcome Daisies soon!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

haha, probably not far off, are you New St, SCR or Ashbourne Ave?

Ashbourne ave, very close to those apartments!

Ashbourne ave, very close to those apartments!

Then my good man, we're neighbours, I'm on Ashbourne too, and spitting distance from the apartments.

I probably saw most of ye in Fennesys on Stephens day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Lived in Fitzhaven for years and loved it. I hope you get the apartment Daisies. Brought a house not too far from there so we will all have to meet up for a welcome drink in Fennessys at some stage and introduce you to the neighbourhood :pac:

No joy with that apartment or with the others I have seen. Gonna chase up a few people tomorrow morning when I'm on the train for work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

if you read probably shes asking about near the train station end of hyde road its called prospect no trouble

there are the odd exception but amazes me the amount of people who slag off an area and know nothing about it but yet will come and park and abandon there car outside my house everyday and goto there jobs in the city or when an event like patricks day is on again abandon there car park it on the grass and wreck the area and then again slag it off...

There are bad houses in all areas simple as as the hse amongst others are moving familys all over..

Again I live here never ever any trouble. If you look for trouble you find it...and the wrecked houses are belong to one or two familys end of.

Hyde Road extends quite a distance towards the Childers Road junction according to Google maps.

Just beyond Byrne Avenue infact.

Hyde Road extends quite a distance towards the Childers Road junction according to Google maps.

Just beyond Byrne Avenue infact.

No it doesn't as I already said after the shop is called Hyde avenue and this runs as far as Childers road..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Hyde rd starts from colbert station!

Advertisement