Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband suggestion - Lee Road

Options
  • 04-01-2019 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Moving to a new apartment in the next month or so. I've shopped around and Virgin which I currently have doesn't appear to be available in my area. Anyone from the area have any experience with the other companies, and what kind of consistent coverage / speeds do you get?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Depends what's available. Is there an Eir phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Hi all,

Moving to a new apartment in the next month or so. I've shopped around and Virgin which I currently have doesn't appear to be available in my area. Anyone from the area have any experience with the other companies, and what kind of consistent coverage / speeds do you get?

Thanks in advance

Try bonkers.ie or switcher.ie and put in the exact address. Should give you a list of what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Depends what's available. Is there an Eir phone line?

Yeah there's a phoneline available alright.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I assume you're moving to either river towers or Atkins hall, we are in RT and our sky broadband is average. No fibre available but it's still far slower than it should be...HOWEVER if all you need it for is streaming netflix and such then you'll be fine.

I assume you're moving to either river towers or Atkins hall, we are in RT and our sky broadband is average. No fibre available but it's still far slower than it should be...HOWEVER if all you need it for is streaming netflix and such then you'll be fine.

Yeah moving into RT. Pretty sure I'll likely get Sky considering I'll already be getting the TV package off them but considering there's no Fibre up there I imagine all the alternatives are going to be similar speeds.

I do download quite a bit and need it for working remotely.

What kind of speeds do you get?

• Advertisement

Yeah moving into RT. Pretty sure I'll likely get Sky considering I'll already be getting the TV package off them but considering there's no Fibre up there I imagine all the alternatives are going to be similar speeds.

I do download quite a bit and need it for working remotely.

What kind of speeds do you get?

I'll check for you some stage this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Big Eejit

I'll check for you some stage this morning.

I lived there in RT for 15 years or so. Any BB company will provide standard DSL (I had Digiweb - the hangover ftom Smart Telecom tgat I originally had). You can expect about 10 megs (from Dennehys Cross Exchange).

Btw there’s no fibre box on Lee Road because apparently the residents of Lee Vista, where the telecoms box is located, wouldn’t allow the Eircom cowboy contractors in without knowing exactly what they planned to do.

Big Eejit wrote: »
    I lived there in RT for 15 years or so. Any BB company will provide standard DSL (I had Digiweb - the hangover ftom Smart Telecom tgat I originally had). You can expect about 10 megs (from Dennehys Cross Exchange).

Btw there’s no fibre box on Lee Road because apparently the residents of Lee Vista, where the telecoms box is located, wouldn’t allow the Eircom cowboy contractors in without knowing exactly what they planned to do.

So it looks like it won't be coming in the near future either. That's a balls

Sorry forgot to do this, will definitely run speedtest this evening when I'm home, I think download can be as high as 9 or 10 in quiet timesbut as low as 4 or 5 during evenings. Upload speeds are pitiful - less than 1mb.

So it looks like it won't be coming in the near future either. That's a balls

Ping 104ms
    Download 10.11mbps
    Upload 0.83mbps

We're on the fourth floor and from looking at available networks, there's two eircome and two vodafone near us

• Advertisement

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's pricey for what you're getting, but you could try satellite broadband. (See here ). Up to 50Mbps down/6Mbps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

who_me wrote: »
    It's pricey for what you're getting, but you could try satellite broadband. (See here ). Up to 50Mbps down/6Mbps up.

OP is moving into an apartment. Satellite broadband dishes are huge (about 1.2m) and wouldn't be allowed in apartments. Also, OP downloads a lot and works from home.

With a tiny 100GB monthly data and huge latency that satellite brings, neither would be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

If you insert your Eircode into the following link, it will tell you what your options are:

https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Advertisement