Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speakers Playing Up

Options
  • 04-01-2019 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Twenty year old, German, reasonable product of its time. Two desk top sticks and a bucket sized lump that sits up top.

Left hand stick gave up the ghost, some time lately. Not a sound.

Now, I'm getting a rush of tinny crackle across Any dialogue I try to listen to. Netflix. Youtube; Out the window. Voice chats now consist of me shouting, " Eh? Who? What?! " (I don't play music)

All connected via the Pink and Green jacks, to the machine. I've done the obvious; Pulled each jack. Sucked it clean. Put it back. Nothing changed. Extent of my knowledge of such things, I'm afraid.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Probably aged capacitors are delaminating. Good quality speakers are available at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Ah, cheers, Degsie; Known problem so. Bugger :(

Yeah. Little pair of Logitech's are in the post. I don't need a lot now as I only do as above.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Did you confirm it is the speakers that are fault and not the audio out of the 'machine' they are plugged into?

Complicated, JB. I've no other device to plug them into. I'd also prefer someone with better ears than mine ~ and at least tec savvy to the point of turning the machine on ~ to have a listen, anyway.

Probably sounds a simple enough task? Not when ye my age and Billy No Mates. Guy I have in mind will probably drop by at some point, this year. Hopefully, I'll be happily using my Logi's and shall drag these German's out of storage.

Or, of course; If the Logi's produce the same fault? I'll replace the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Guessing connection is 3.5 jack - lot of mobile phones have such output.

• Advertisement

Smuggler; If only I could have filmed that!

I read ye post. Grabbed my phone and examined it.

Sure enough, there, in the top, is a hole that looks like a 3.5 jack hole. (I envisaged myself pulling out the speaker jack and sticking it in my phone)

I switched the phone on ..... Stared at the screen for a minute ..... Switched it back off again. Completely defeated.

But, my blank expression, as I stared, must have been meme material for 'brain dead' :D

Well, I'm sitting here, crying with laughter now. So, some good's come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What phone that is? If smartphone - go YouTube and play out some, other than that, play some media file(audio, video) stored locally on the phone. Speaker system, obviously, should be powered ON during test.
    You could test PC output with other playback device, even headphones(known good working) would do.

Well, lads, just to kinda wrap this one up; My 6 Watt Logitech speakers arrived on Tuesday. First thing I discovered is that this machine doesn't seem to Have a 3.5mm hole! :rolleyes:

Thankfully, my mike does. And so, I've spent the last few days and nights, chatting up a storm and binge watching net tube, with such audio clarity that the sub titles are as much a bonus as a total necessity :)

Probably Was my speakers breaking down then. They're in the store room now. Try to run them past someone else, before ditching them.

Thanks, all.

Advertisement