Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Family holidays... What are people spending nowadays

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Last year and will be doing same this year...Airbnb in nerja for a two bed apartment was €550 and flights into Malaga with Ryanair with 15kg baggage was €950 for two adults and two kids ... shared transfer to nerja was €60 .
    €50 euro parking Dublin...all in about €1600.
    Cheaper options on Airbnb available if needed and flights can be cheaper depending when you fly and times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

weetiepie wrote: »
    Have been to Tuscany before, before kiddies came along and hired a car. Driving was crazy there at times. But would love to be able to afford to do it with children. Have you been anywhere around the Tuscan region? Any air bnb s or campsites you would recommend?

Went to Tuscany in June, 2 adults and 4 kids (14 to 22). Stayed in an apartment in Lucca for a week. Quite close to Pisa airport so no car needed. Flights were around €700, accomodation around €800, spending money around €1,000. We cooked in a lot and only had dinner out maybe twice.

When the kids were younger we stayed in a campsite near Florence called Norcenni Girasole, but you would need a hire car as it's in the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

We did three weeks in Swiss Alps last summer, plenty to do if you are not enjoying the high mountains. Had use of air conditioned people carrier and stayed in full fitted three bedroom house with all accessories included. When not eating out we ate in the garden with stunning mountain scenario all around,

Cost:Two flights to Geneva €450

How: Home exchange - google web site homeexchange.com - there are other sites. Costs about €120/yr to register your home.

This was out sixth year swapping houses (and cars) with families abroad. Never had any hassle and always come back to find our house the way we left it. We have also made some good friends over the years. We get about 50 offers each year from all over the world through website. Most people looking to come to Ireland seem to use our house as a base for touring around.We are in the Munster area but not near the coast.

We were driving to France with kids before this and it was costing minimum €4k with ferry, accommodation, petrol and tolls. Kids stopped coming with us about two years back but we swapped homes with two teenagers for about 4 years. Some of the families that came to our house had very young kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

boege wrote:
    How: Home exchange - google web site homeexchange.com - there are other sites. Costs about €120/yr to register your home.

Great tip and information thanks. My home is centrally located. So ideal base for pretty much everywhere. 10 mins drive to the Galway/Dublin motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

By the way I am not interested in going in June and taking kids out of school. That's not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    ^ I am talking about a holiday for 5, 1 teenage and 2 younger kids for short of 2 weeks.
    Leave the teenager at home. That's a big saving, plus you won't have to listen to their complaining or put up with their moods!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

boege wrote: »

This was out sixth year swapping houses (and cars) with families abroad. Never had any hassle and always come back to find our house the way we left it. We have also made some good friends over the years. We get about 50 offers each year from all over the world through website. Most people looking to come to Ireland seem to use our house as a base for touring around.We are in the Munster area but not near the coast.

We were driving to France with kids before this and it was costing minimum €4k with ferry, accommodation, petrol and tolls. Kids stopped coming with us about two years back but we swapped homes with two teenagers for about 4 years. Some of the families that came to our house had very young kids.

Was just going to suggest the same thing for people looking to save money. If you can knock off your accomodation costs (and maybe even car hire costs) from a holiday then thats a huge saving. A work colleague a couple of years back swapped a house in Athlone for a house in Orlando about 20 mins drive from the main parks. I couldnt believe my ears but the American family had a great time touring around Ireland and Athlone was a central base to do it from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

boege wrote: »
    We did three weeks in Swiss Alps last summer, plenty to do if you are not enjoying the high mountains. Had use of air conditioned people carrier and stayed in full fitted three bedroom house with all accessories included. When not eating out we ate in the garden with stunning mountain scenario all around,

Cost:Two flights to Geneva €450

how does insurance work for the car-swap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

harr wrote: »
    Last year and will be doing same this year...Airbnb in nerja for a two bed apartment was €550 and flights into Malaga with Ryanair with 15kg baggage was €950 for two adults and two kids ... shared transfer to nerja was €60 .
    €50 euro parking Dublin...all in about €1600.
    Cheaper options on Airbnb available if needed and flights can be cheaper depending when you fly and times..
    Is there any chance you could put up a link to the apartment in Nerja? That seems superb value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

anewme wrote: »
    I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison, unless you are comparing it with a similar type centr park set up.

Some people (especially with kids) might prefer to stay local if all the activities and facilities are there.

Centr Parc have a good reputation in the UK.

But not all activities are included in that price, its just the basic ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

weetiepie wrote: »
    Would love to know more about this!..thinking of maybe heading to Italy with our family of five

Looking at 2 weeks in France at end of June with one infant
    Flights 400
    Car hire 300
    Accommodation 700
    Insurances 70
    Spending money - don't usually count this as we'd be spending money in Ireland too if we were at home or went on holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Looking at 2 weeks in France at end of June with one infant
    Flights 400
    Car hire 300
    Accommodation 700
    Insurances 70
    Spending money - don't usually count this as we'd be spending money in Ireland too if we were at home or went on holidays!

Do you really only spend the same on holidays as a normal two weeks? Surely you eat out more and spend money on attractions that would be above an average couple of weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Our holiday planner this year;

Myself and 12 yr old, New York for a week - 2,400 - flights 600, accommodation 950, 650 spending money, the rest is attraction passes, eat as, insurance and tickets to a game.

The family unit, 2 adults 2 kids to a basic all inclusive in Fuerteventura - 2,300 including spending money insurance, 20 kg bags, and transfers. All we want here is pool and sun.

August, myself and 2 kids a week in Spain staying with my mam. 1,000 - just flights and spends needed but will be eating on mostly, maybe 2 day trips.

I love looking up holidays, flights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭247music

Have been doing France for the last 5 years with my wife and 3 daughters.. First three years we went in Last 2 weeks of June. A llot cheaper at this time.. Average price for Five star parc and Ferry worked out around E1800 to E2000 euro.. Spending money approx E1500 for the two weeks..Once you hit July.. Boom! Prices double.. Last 2 years we paid E3000 to E3500 for 5s Parc and Ferry but that was in July for one year and August for the next. Spending money was similar. Trade off of going in June is that first you need to take kids out of school early and also because it's still classed as off season, a lot of activities in the area of the parc are not open for summer season yet.. Its definitely creeping up in price the last few years and booking up a lot quicker too... Decided we're gonna give it a miss this year and to put 5grand into buying a caravan instead.. we live in a beautiful country after all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

loyatemu wrote: »
    how does insurance work for the car-swap?

Add them to your car insurance at a small cost. You might decide not to swap cars at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

This aren't really any cheap holidays when you've a family of 5 especially with younger kids and you can't rough it a bit. We won't be going abroad again until the baby is at least 3 but even to stay in Ireland for a week somewhere on a self catering basis will cost 1200/1300 euros to start and that's solely accommodation.

Its much cheaper to go away with a 0-3 year old then it is with 3+

Look for kids go free places.

Not gonna post what our last holiday (or upcoming) cost

OU812 wrote:
    Its much cheaper to go away with a 0-3 year old then it is with 3+

I can't see how you call a trip away with a 0-3 year old a holiday tbh.

I can't see how you call a trip away with a 0-3 year old a holiday tbh.

Went away with two under 3 every year. totally enjoyable time. depends on what you make of it I suppose. Happy memories for us.

OU812 wrote:
    Went away with two under 3 every year. totally enjoyable time. depends on what you make of it I suppose. Happy memories for us.

Went to LA with our then 18 month old. Nightmare, nothing what you make of got to do with it. A pasty Irish child ain't able for the humidity or heat. Neither were the other 3 toddlers in our group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

OU812 wrote: »

Hardest part with under 3s is the airport and flight. Slings are very handy to free up the hands. Tablets and a few toys/sweets help. The quieter airports are very handy.

Once you're there all you need is a good sandy beach and a few bits to play with. It can be an easy holiday. You are not going to be gulping the wine but you wouldn't mind that. If they sleep for an hour during the afternoon one of you can get out for a walk/run or have a coffee.

• Advertisement

Went to LA with our then 18 month old. Nightmare, nothing what you make of got to do with it. A pasty Irish child ain't able for the humidity or heat. Neither were the other 3 toddlers in our group.

South of Spain, height of summer three times, two weeks each time with a second time for a week one year later in the summer. Didn't have any problems at all.

We took a 3 year old and a 3 month old to Lanzarote last year no hassles you just need to be organized, the older lad was in Orlando when he was 18 months or so and again it was okay, flight over was a bit of work but coming home was grand as he slept most of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's a bit hit and miss with a sub 3 year old. Nothing to do with organisation.

Not worth going wild spending on a holiday at that age IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

But not all activities are included in that price, its just the basic ones!

I think you'd need to see the exact comparisons and hotels to compare.

salmocab wrote: »
    Do you really only spend the same on holidays as a normal two weeks? Surely you eat out more and spend money on attractions that would be above an average couple of weeks?

ok.
    we still have to eat at home. we'll be doing self catering for the most part and we won't be out drinking with the young lad.
    if we were in Ireland for a week or two we'd be spending more per day on food and drinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just paid 2600 for 10 days at Norcinni Girasole in Italy including flights and one night at Dublin airport hotel before going. 2 adults and 2 11 year olds.

Usually, I budget for 200 euro a day when on hols to cover eating dinner out every day. We are on holidays so couldn't be bothered cooking and cleaning etc, etc. Also covers a few drinks, travel expenses to travel to various places while away and activities, etc, etc. Haven't fully decided whether to rent a car this time or not so that may bump it up a couple of hundred euro (taking off some travel expenses and transfers if we have a car).
    So roughly 4600 for 4 for 10 days including everything.

I usually count the 200 a day in the holiday cost as there is no way we spend anything near that when here.
    This is, so far, working out as one of the cheapest holidays we have taken in the last 6/7 years since we became restricted to July/August travel.

Last year we went on a cruise and then stayed on in Barcelona for 3 days after it...now that was an expensive one and hence the cheaper one this year. Still paid for top range accommodation this year though as it is a holiday after all so could easily have knocked a few hundred more off it if we wanted to but decided not to skimp too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

You'll need a car in Norcenni Girasole, it's relatively remote. Lots of lovely towns and villages within an hour's drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Well off topic here but bringing our daughter over to Spain this year, her 1st birthday will be when we are over there.

Any tips for traveling with a child so small, any thing I should be bringing besides suncream? I'm sure shell be on cows milk by then, but cows milk over there is different? Went with 2 year old last year no problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Flights to Palms foot 5, 300 euro ( +70,000 Avios )
    Villa for a month 2,000

Not sure about car hire yet we will be there for a month so might get one for 1 of the weeks.

Spending money ??? Cook at home every second night. Fresh fish on the bbq!!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

We will be holidaying in Ireland again this year, we had alot of unexpected expense the last few months so a sun holiday is out of the question. I can’t make up my mind where to go. I was thinking originally of Wicklow & then Waterford. There are houses on the grounds of both the druids glen resort & park hotel Dungarven. Has anyone stayed in either? It’s a long summer if we go nowhere....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ludo wrote: »
    Just paid 2600 for 10 days at Norcinni Girasole in Italy including flights and one night at Dublin airport hotel before going. 2 adults and 2 11 year olds.

Usually, I budget for 200 euro a day when on hols to cover eating dinner out every day. We are on holidays so couldn't be bothered cooking and cleaning etc, etc. Also covers a few drinks, travel expenses to travel to various places while away and activities, etc, etc. Haven't fully decided whether to rent a car this time or not so that may bump it up a couple of hundred euro (taking off some travel expenses and transfers if we have a car).
    So roughly 4600 for 4 for 10 days including everything.

I usually count the 200 a day in the holiday cost as there is no way we spend anything near that when here.
    This is, so far, working out as one of the cheapest holidays we have taken in the last 6/7 years since we became restricted to July/August travel.

Enjoy, we operate a pretty similar way

Well off topic here but bringing our daughter over to Spain this year, her 1st birthday will be when we are over there.

Any tips for traveling with a child so small, any thing I should be bringing besides suncream? I'm sure shell be on cows milk by then, but cows milk over there is different? Went with 2 year old last year no problem whatsoever.

Time naps etc around your flights, 1 is just about when you change to cows milk normally so if you haven’t done it a few weeks before I’d leave off till after the holiday. Bring a few snacks for traveling. Sunshade for the buggy is great and a wide brim hat. If your still sterilizing bottles you can get microwave bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Flights usually about €200 per person. Good 2 bedroom apartment usually about €125 per night. August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just a little tip for those looking to save a few quid, a couple of years back when booking our holiday we inquired about all-inclusive with travel agent and the price difference between self catering and all-inclusive was huge so we went self catering.
    When we got to hotel we asked how much to upgrade to all-inclusive for a family and got a great deal for days well under half the cost of travel companies.

Enjoy, we operate a pretty similar way

Fair enough
    We couldn't afford that, and we're used of self catering and camping - having done that on 3 continents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I can normally do a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 teenagers for 3kish all in for 10 days.

Flights 600 - 800
    Car parking 50 - 60
    Self catering accommodation or budget hotel 80 - 120 per night
    Car hire 300 - 400
    Fuel 60
    Eat out every 2nd night 400 - 500
    Self catering breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks 400 - 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

A few years ago we done 10 nights in Italy, Milan - Brescia - Milan with Novotel in family room, 1 double, 1 single and 1 sofa bed. The average including breakfast was €77 per night and we annihilated the breakfast buffet each morning

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I'm doing first 2 weeks in salou half board 2 adults 1 child 4 star hotel 2k and will bring 2k spends great deal

Advertisement