Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimea Brexit preparations.(34 yr old with 38 BMI attempts the DF Inductions fitness

Options
  • 04-01-2019 12:58pm

The (fictional!)scenario:
    Brexit means that the Brits are looking to get back to the invasion business, which means come the 29th of March they’ll be sending their polite green lads into places south of a border they don’t want to exist on land. They look to what Vladimir Putin did in Crimea and said “that’s nice, we’ll have some of that thanks”. Even Boris talks about putting a bridge across from Stranraer just like the Kerch strait.

Our green lads might have something to say about that, and would look for as many people to get back in green as they can muster. Hopefully not to go toe-to-toe with their green lads, but to help prevent that, and definitely stop the balaclava boyos from kicking off again.
    (Or everyone just loses the heads, with cats shagging dogs levels of mayhem as the Tommies shrug & raise the Jack over the four provinces.)

And that, my dear Frodo, is where I come in.

On March 29th, I want to be fit enough to pass all the requirements of the DF fitness test. As far as I’m aware, that means 20 press-ups (as defined) and 20 sit-ups (as defined) in 1 minute (both in one or a minute each, I’m not sure) and a run of 2.4km in 11m 40sec.

They set an 8 week training programme on the site (http://www.military.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/images/careers/booklets/Potential_Cadet-Recruit-Reserve_Training_Programme.pdf) which I intend to complete.

My starting point?
    Erm, yeah. About that...
    162cm tall, 99.6kg. A BMI of 38.

Do I think, at 34, I’d be back into the Reserves if they recruit? Not really. While getting function close to the requirements is realistic, getting my BMI to 25 or below isn’t. To be clear, I’m going to dip that as low as I can through effort out and getting my metabolism into the burning fat area, but you have to work with what you have.

The scenario is exceptionally unrealistic, but any excuse to train is a good one.

The above training schedule is Mon-Sat, with Sunday as the day of rest. I’m going to shift that back a day to start this Sunday. I intend to post here post every session, updates in progress.

*sets TF2 The Art of War track on repeat*

(Edit- TLDR: as regards setting a target & picking a program, I’ve decided to pick the DF Inductions training program, and picked 29th of March as a date to aim for, to see how we’ll i’ve got on. The rest is fanciful filler.)

Advertisement