Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trails advice

• 04-01-2019 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year all...
    Quick question?
    How well marked are the trails in Glenealy Wicklow and How are they best accessed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭C3PO

They are not marked at all - best to go up with someone who knows their way around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

https://www.trailforks.com/region/carrick-mountain/?activitytype=1&z=13.9&lat=52.97432&lon=-6.15959

Savage trails at Carrick Mountain which I'm assuming you mean by Glenealy. Few vids on youtube of the Enduros which seems to cover a lot of the best trails.

When you drive through Glenealy village from Rathnew direction- take the main right turn. You'll immediately see a Church on the left. Take that switchback turn - go along that country road for not long - few mins. You'll see a massive field. No idea where you should park outside of Enduros but at the far side of that field is a fireroad. Also the bottom of a great trail is right there. Follow that fire road up. Trails to the left and right once you get up a bit. Possibly 20 mins climbing before you start to see trails. I know that's vague but you can find the trail heads all immediately off that fireroad.

Someone else might be able to say where to park etc so as not to annoy the neighbours around there.

If you had the guts of a day you could begin to figure it out - I'm sure you'd meet some local MTBer's around too who could help. FYI - 7/8th Sept 2019 is the Carrick Enduro which will be brilliant and would show you around the main trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

steamsey wrote: »
    https://www.trailforks.com/region/carrick-mountain/?activitytype=1&z=13.9&lat=52.97432&lon=-6.15959

Savage trails at Carrick Mountain which I'm assuming you mean by Glenealy. Few vids on youtube of the Enduros which seems to cover a lot of the best trails.

When you drive through Glenealy village from Rathnew direction- take the main right turn. You'll immediately see a Church on the left. Take that switchback turn - go along that country road for not long - few mins. You'll see a massive field. No idea where you should park outside of Enduros but at the far side of that field is a fireroad. Also the bottom of a great trail is right there. Follow that fire road up. Trails to the left and right once you get up a bit. Possibly 20 mins climbing before you start to see trails. I know that's vague but you can find the trail heads all immediately off that fireroad.

Someone else might be able to say where to park etc so as not to annoy the neighbours around there.

If you had the guts of a day you could begin to figure it out - I'm sure you'd meet some local MTBer's around too who could help. FYI - 7/8th Sept 2019 is the Carrick Enduro which will be brilliant and would show you around the main trails.
    Wow!

Thanks a million for all that..

I’m quite close to there and when we pass through on the road bikes, they seem to park along the street in Glenealy or in the car park by the recycling bins.

With the great advice, the map also, I’ll head up and try and follow someone with experience of the trails.

How does it compare to Ticknock, Ballinastoe etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ckeego wrote: »

Ticknock and Bstoe are narrow fireroad trails constructed specifically for MTB's.

Carrick is a series of trails originally created by MX/Enduro Motorcycles and horse riders..

A lot of horseriders use the main trails around Carrick hill, so would not be too impressed with anyone startling their horses and will vociferously complain to the land owners, so riders should be conscious of that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

ckeego wrote: »
    Wow!

Thanks a million for all that..

I’m quite close to there and when we pass through on the road bikes, they seem to park along the street in Glenealy or in the car park by the recycling bins.

With the great advice, the map also, I’ll head up and try and follow someone with experience of the trails.

I think it beats both. I love Ticknock and Ballinastoe (mainly the non Coillte bits) is great too but Carrick is all natural obviously and has some really great sections including some steep technical descents. Carrick probably has more natural trails than Ticknock ever had. One thing I'd say is that some of trails cross over the walking path / fireroad so be extra alert for people at those bits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement