Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School run and traffic.

Options
  • 04-01-2019 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Okay i'm just asking the question!

If we sorted out the school run (various options) to reduce the cars on the road would we still have a traffic issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Mornings are definitely easier when schools are off, but traffic was still as normal getting out of town at 6pm the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I have to point out the stupidity we came across recently with secondary schools in that where you live plays no part in what school you'll get into. Instead of going to a school less than a mile away we're forced onto the roads to drop our lad into town. As well, because there are so few co-ed schools it means there is double the school runs if you have both boys and girls in a segregated school.

The system forces parent's to drop kids across town rather than attend schools their kids could walk or bike to.

There is nowhere in the city that isn't accessible by bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ffs, good for you if you're happy cycling in morning commute traffic with no bike lanes. Well done, you're such a big boy!

No need to get so hot and bothered. You are the one blaming "the system".

I merely pointed out an alternative which has been used by many.

If that one doesn't work, try walking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

No need to get so hot and bothered. You are the one blaming "the system".

I merely pointed out an alternative which has been used by many.

If that one doesn't work, try walking

He has a point. I do a bit of cycling and am confident cycling in traffic, but many people are not, and the lack of safe cycling infrastructure puts a lot of people off. "The system" could do an awful lot more to provide a safer alternative and thereby promote cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Zzippy wrote: »
    He has a point. I do a bit of cycling and am confident cycling in traffic, but many people are not, and the lack of safe cycling infrastructure puts a lot of people off. "The system" could do an awful lot more to provide a safer alternative and thereby promote cycling.

It's real chicken and egg isn't it. If there was better infrastructure more people would cycle but that won't happen until more people are cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zzippy wrote: »

The alternative is already in place: there is no secondary school in the city which isn't accessible by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

topcat77 wrote: »

If we sorted out the school run (various options) to reduce the cars on the road would we still have a traffic issue?

Traffic would be less terrible in the morning of course. Still, some of the worst traffic I've experienced in Galway was during last summer when the schools were off (in the evening specifically). So to answer your question, yes we will continue to have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Much quicker in the mornings and evenings(before 5pm) when schools and colleges are off.

Hardly a surprise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I drive and also cycle, and can tell you Galway is not well designed for safe cycling.

Dismising people's concerns is hardly constructive. It's a big issue and definately prevents people from cycling more.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Dismising people's concerns is hardly constructive. It's a big issue and definately prevents people from cycling more.

Where did I dismiss concerns?

At the what point did I say anything about cycling infrastructure?

I merely offered alternatives, 2 now, to driving. Bumble offered a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A new City just crazy thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Much quicker in the mornings and evenings(before 5pm) when schools and colleges are off.

Hardly a surprise!

A lot of parents take annual leave when their kids are off school, most work places are considerably quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I drive and also cycle, and can tell you Galway is not well designed for safe cycling.

Anyone who doesn't feel safe cycling on their own can organise a cycling bus to benefit from the 'safety in numbers' effect

Take a look at Galway School Cycle Bus (@cycle_bus): https://twitter.com/cycle_bus?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The alternative is already in place: there is no secondary school in the city which isn't accessible by bus.

I didn't say otherwise...?

This isn't an either-or scenario, there is room for multiple alternatives. The availability of a bus service does not mean cycling infrastructure should not be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's been surprisingly quiet the last two mornings. Are all schools not back yet? Another factor is that 3rd Levels aren't back for another week and about 1/3rd of them are apparently commuting now.

You obviously weren't on the Quincentenary Bridge at 8.10am this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

J o e wrote: »
    You obviously weren't on the Quincentenary Bridge at 8.10am this morning...

Haha. Nope. Maybe I'm still in holiday mode and leaving the house a bit later than normal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

xckjoo wrote: »
    It's been surprisingly quiet the last two mornings. Are all schools not back yet? Another factor is that 3rd Levels aren't back for another week and about 1/3rd of them are apparently commuting now.
    The bridge was backed up eastbound at 0830 to Newcastle Road, mayhem outside schools. just the normal crap

• Advertisement

Yeah it was fully backed up at 8:10 too, with some cars ignoring the box junction on the Newcastle road and blocking Moycullen traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

topcat77 wrote: »

I do wish the school run was an actual school run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Is this the public bus network or dedicated school bus?
    I know what the former is - but is there info on the later "for Galway City" publicly available?

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=256
    is just general Q&A

Advertisement