Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House v Location

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Snotty wrote: »
    There a real delusion that jobs only exist in city's. My wife and I moved back from London, live in the middle of nowhere West ireland, wife works 5 minutes one way and me 10 minutes the other. Jobs do exist outside of Dublin/Cirk/Galway etc and good jobs too, I'm in IT and the wife is in retail.
    I wouldn't give up rural living now, but it has to suit you and it doesn't suit everyone.

Other half works in retail, wages are rubbish, Galway city is the only place with high paying jobs in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Other half works in retail, wages are rubbish, Galway city is the only place with high paying jobs in the west

I'm nowhere near Galway, Sligo would be my nearest city but I'm a long way from there too.

2 points: 100k buys a 3 bed semi with a 5 minute commute. 65k here is better than 100k in the city, yup its less money but wages are relative. I could double my wages in the city, but why, work to live, not the other way around.
    Also, wages in retail aren't great, profits are better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I wouldn't hesitate to drive an additional 20 minutes each way to work for a lovely house in a nice scenic location and near family too!!

Sometimes travelling from one area in Dublin to another can take just as long if not longer than a commute to a rural location.

The traffic is really bad in Dublin.

I work in Blanch. Driving to Drumcondra in rush hour can take close to an hour.
    You'd get to Navan in a similar timeframe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sometimes travelling from one area in Dublin to another can take just as long if not longer than a commute to a rural location.

You would be able to do Navan to Blanch in about the same time but Navan to Drumcondra would take way longer than Blanch to Drumcondra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This is a big factor for me, I'd rather spend 40 minutes driving than 40 minutes sitting in traffic, I know it's psychological but it's just more frustrating sitting in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Location for me. We kinda got 'stuck' in the house we bought which is a slight pain but we like the area of Dublin we're in and there's a park, shops, coffee shops, pubs, restaurants within walking distance.

The house is fine size wise for us and the kids and the estate is quiet but we had really wanted to trade up to a nicer estate within the area.

Still glad we're where we are now though and not in a nicer house in a area we hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

You would be able to do Navan to Blanch in about the same time but Navan to Drumcondra would take way longer than Blanch to Drumcondra.

I think this is something people often miss when they're looking at a house location.

Unless you never plan to move jobs/work location, it's not just about your current commute, it's about the range of jobs available to you within a reasonable commute.

It depends a lot on your level and career path how important this factor is to you.

I'd also comment that alot of people I see opting for further out locations understate/underestimate their commute. The train journey might be 40 minuted but it's ten minutes to the station and 2/3 minuted grace to be safe and a walk of 15 minutes at the far end. . . Be careful to consider the full commute of the specific property you're looking at. A difference of 500m can be 15 minutes commuting a day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think this is something people often miss when they're looking at a house location.

Unless you never plan to move jobs/work location, it's not just about your current commute, it's about the range of jobs available to you within a reasonable commute.

It depends a lot on your level and career path how important this factor is to you.

I'd also comment that alot of people I see opting for further out locations understate/underestimate their commute. The train journey might be 40 minuted but it's ten minutes to the station and 2/3 minuted grace to be safe and a walk of 15 minutes at the far end. . . Be careful to consider the full commute of the specific property you're looking at. A difference of 500m can be 15 minutes commuting a day.

Plus, if you're driving congestion will probably only get worse. I know a few people in work who bought or started renting a place a few years ago which had a borderline reasonable commute. Now, with the huge increases in traffic, that commute has become torturous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

We live in what could be considered "in the middle of nowhere", yes it's three miles from the nearest village but it's less than an hour from the city, you adapt and you remember to get that pint of milk on the way home in the evening knowing that there's no corner shop just up the road, wouldn't change it for the world, the peace and solitude is worth it, saying that it wouldn't be for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement