Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing weeds around new beech hedging

Options
  • 04-01-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Planted about 50 meters of beech hedging last year. I took off all sod before planting so that there is about 1 foot of clay either side of plants. I then put a few inches of mulch to keep the weeds and grass at bay.
    In general it done the job, the odd weed appeared that I could pull by hand.
    I have noticed that some grass blades had germinated in the mulch.

Anyway, putting down another 50m of new beech hedging this year and was wondering if I would be better off leaving clay exposed rather that putting mulch on it and having to top up every few years.

I’ve noticed some hedging around that appears to be very clear underneath with no weeds or grass ,father in law said they are probably using Simazine.

Anyone any experience using Simazine and is it effective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

According to what seems a reliable source, Simazine has been banned in Europe under Commission Decisions 2004/141/EC(3), 2004/248/EC(4), 2004/140/EC(5) and 2004/247/EC(6), taken within the framework of Council Directive 91/414/EEC of 15 July 1991. This came into effect on 26th April 2004.

If you leave soil bare it will grow weeds. You did the right thing with the mulch.

All of my household cardboard waste now goes down in the garden to control weeds. Works great under a couple on inches of mulch.

You won't need to mulch once the hedge is established.

Advertisement