Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less expensive accommodation near NY

Options
  • 04-01-2019 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of traveling to NY alone for 4/5 days, accommodation in the city is crazy expensive, has anyone a reccommendation for accommodation for a solo traveler within a tube ride of downtown...I don’t mind if it’s a bit out. Is Air B&B an option ? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Candlewood Suites at $89 plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You can get a semi-decent AirBnB room in Long Island City (1 stop from Manhattan on the subway) for around €90 a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SweetSand

Check out hotwire.com, I was checking deals for NY myself yesterday and saw some great prices. If booking through them, keep an eye on tripadvisor average score and which hotel person before you got. I got an amazing deal for New Year’s Eve in Boston, booked 2 rooms in the beginning of December. Was expecting to get the worst 2 rooms in the hotel but got really nice rooms on the 18th floor. Do read all the hotel info carefully, a lot of the hotels in NY have resort fee which is a separate fee to any other fees and is collected by hotel directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thanks Fathom, Jack Presley and SweetSand, I will check them out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

You could try the the pod hotel. There’s two in midtown, rooms are small, but if going solo could be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

some nice air bnb's in Jersey City, very handy if flying into Newark

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Would a hostel suit? I stayed in one in Harlem, and it was excellent. Harlem is cool :)

I just searched Hostelworld there and they have numerous private rooms in various hostels for around €30+

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

mrcheez wrote: »
    Would a hostel suit? I stayed in one in Harlem, and it was excellent. Harlem is cool :)

I just searched Hostelworld there and they have numerous private rooms in various hostels for around €30+

I don’t mind hostels at all, I would just like to have a proper bathroom, not those very open cubicle type showers. What type of showers did the one you stayed in have. Thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

solerina wrote: »
    I don’t mind hostels at all, I would just like to have a proper bathroom, not those very open cubicle type showers. What type of showers did the one you stayed in have. Thanks !!

You can find a lot of hostels with ensuites.

Just search on the hostelworld website for "private rooms" and they should say whether there are ensuites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

solerina wrote: »
    Thanks Fathom, Jack Presley and SweetSand, I will check them out !!
    Good luck and have fun!

• Advertisement
Advertisement